GMD Poll: Top Ten Albums of 2009

5dcb-e241-4105-893f-9f31ef5cbf34.jpg

... show me on this doll where uncle gene touched you?

Reactions: CiG
7) For the Sake of No One by Revelation
Memories of pale lunar fictions...

a3630282517_16.jpg

"Welp, Ozzman likes Revelation? I guess they are now ruined for me." - @Master_Yoda77

"never listening to Revelation is a wise decision." - @HamburgerBoy

"If you like doom metal, you should also have a Revelation album. They're all excellent, so just pick one." - @Omni

"Revelation is awesome but I saw them play in front of 5 people with a 5$ entree fee, which has then turned into one of their last shows." - @rms

Chosen by:
CASSETTEISGOD (#1)
rms (#3)
Master_Yoda77 (#4)
Mort Divine (#7)

TOTAL: 29 POINTS

6) On Pestilent Winds... by Excoriate
Unholy demons rush over the earth...

a0626710456_16.jpg

"Anyways, can't stop spinning Excoriate. Shit is so fucking good, riffs! RIFFS! FUCKING SO MANY RIFFS!" - @Mort Divine

"I really find like nothing at all special about Excoriate." - @V.V.V.V.V.

"Excoriate synthesizes many different death metal sounds, particularly 80s Brazil, extremely well. It presents very raw and chaotic ideas with the finesse of a 90s European texture." - @Dodens Grav

"So Excoriate is fucking great. The guitar tone on On Pestilent Winds is disgustingly awesome." - @General Zaroff

Chosen by:
Phylactery (#2)
Slayed Necros (#4)
Mort Divine (#4)
Anom@nder Rake (#5)
rms (#6)
-CyanideChrist- (#8)

TOTAL: 37 POINTS

May as well start with the title track then! Never fails to send me into a headbanging frenzy. The only issue is when it gets really fast, the drums tend to overpower the mix.

I don't know what's not to love about it. Sounds like it came right out of the late 80s. A disgusting rifffest with the songwriting to match. Shame they split up before this album was even released iirc. No bullshit, no frills, just pure old school death metal delivered with concviction and passion.

Last edited:
its basically what would happen if you crossed consuming impulse with early sepultura, an album that despite not really doing anything original, just has immense staying power for me. gets by purely on its riffwork and overall aggression

its also oddly enough one of the few DM albums that has stuck with a lot of my metal friends that aren't super into death metal

Reactions: CiG and Phylactery

May as well start with the title track then! Never fails to send me into a headbanging frenzy. The only issue is when it gets really fast, the drums tend to overpower the mix.

I don't know what's not to love about it. Sounds like it came right out of the late 80s. A disgusting rifffest with the songwriting to match. Shame they split up before this album was even released iirc. No bullshit, no frills, just pure old school death metal delivered with concviction and passion.

Okay, this is basically everything I want out of OSDM. I regret not hearing this album in time to rank it now, might've made my list.

5) Engram by Beherit
NYT YLISTÄÄ SAATANAA!

1000x1000.jpg

"It's the potency of the album's fusion of the classic Beherit sound and riff work with new structural ideas that it seems Holocausto perfected during his non-metal stint. Subtle things like the samples in "Axiom Heroine", "All in Satan", and particularly the second movement of "Demon Advance" are effective in the sense that the experimental components of the music combine forces with the old school sensibilities to make something new yet familiar. Too much modern metal has the experimentation clashing with the genre's framework and creating a cluttered mess, but Engram is the exact opposite. Engram is just, fresh." - @Addo_Of_Nex

"Engram" is probably the single greatest thing in black metal since Burzum released Hvis Lyset Tar Oss back in 1994." - @Master_Yoda77

"Engram is better than Drawing Down the Moon. I've always liked some songs on DDtM but others come across as a bit silly and not so well thought out. Engram has a more singular vision and is better for it imo." - @Phylactery

"Engram isn't average. It's below average. And senior citizens fucking in a nursing home is more visceral than DDtM." - @crimsonfloyd

Chosen by:
Master_Yoda77 (#1)
Mort Divine (#2)
Slayed Necros (#3)
Onder (#4)
Vilden (#5)
Sirjack (#6)
Phylactery (#6)

TOTAL: 50 POINTS

4) Vast Oceans Lachrymose by While Heaven Wept
Once a king, now nameless, forgotten, swallowed by the seas of sand...

a2476773384_10.jpg

"The new While Heaven Wept album totally slays. It's heavy, epic, and at times a bit doomy (although far more power metal-influenced). Definitely a must though for fans of the genre, and probably one of the best albums of last year (in my opinion)." - @Einherjar86

"While Heaven wept is really good, especially Vast Oceans Lachrymose, exactly the stuff I'm looking for." - @Vilden

"VAST OCEANS is more about the emotional depths of each individual passage rather than how those passages fit and flow together, for me anyways. even when i love them i find them a little shallow and can see how they'd have the potential to put out some dross." - @no country for old wainds

Chosen by:
CASSETTEISGOD (#2)
Vilden (#2)
Krow (#3)
zabu of nΩd (#3)
no country for old wainds (#3)

Master_Yoda77 (#5)
Talos of Atmora (#9)
Vegard Pompey (#9)

TOTAL: 52 POINTS

Reactions: CiG
3) Voice of Steel by Nokturnal Mortum
There are so few strange things in the world…

a1565310929_16.jpg

VOS is so killer. Full of a barbaric ferocity that I find unmatched by most albums. Can't wait for their new one." - @Pitiless Wanderer

"The Voice of Steel is such an audacious album. I know it's well-regarded, but I'm surprised it's not even more popular." - @MasterOLightning

"I might be the only one who didn't like Voice of Steel, especially compared to Weltanschauung." - @Mort Divine

"Regarding Nokturnal Mortum, they are such an up and down band. Lunar Poetry is strong, Goat Horns is excellent, and then there is a series of mediocre records followed by the phenomenal Voice of Steel." - @crimsonfloyd

Chosen by:
Vilden (#1)
Krow (#2)
no country for old wainds (#2)
Talos of Atmora (#2)
crimsonfloyd (#2)
RedinTheSky (#3)
Phylactery (#5)

Serjeant Grumbles (#10)

TOTAL: 61 POINTS

What is everyone's favourite track on The Voice of Steel? It's the title track for me. The other tracks have high points as well, but none are as consistently great as the title track imo.