GMD Social Poll: Top Ten Films of 2016

I do still care, hence why I added if it's something he cares about. Mellowed out? Sure I'd rather lists adhere to the dates they became available to the general public but it's not a rule anybody has to follow. I never enforced it or excluded any movies from anybody's list because of it.

Also don't worry I always check the dates for everybody's lists just in case. ;)

Reactions: Bloopy
Initial list, I'll cut it down later. I know that for some of these it's not even in question, but rather than weed out the borderline cases I figured I'd throw them all at the wall for now.

Arrival
The Wailing
The Void
Nocturnal Animals
Train to Busan
Under the Shadow
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (arguably the best of the new movies)
Personal Shopper
Deadpool
Don't Breathe
Midnight Special (now realizing that Nichols wrote and directed two films released the same year? wtf)
The Autopsy of Jane Doe (loses steam in the final act, but up until then it's the perfect balance of mystery and terror)
Hail Caesar!
Split
I Am Not Your Negro
Hell or High Water
10 Cloverfield Lane

Official list:

1. Arrival
2. Under the Shadow
3. The Wailing
4. The Void
5. Personal Shopper
6. Nocturnal Animals
7. Train to Busan
8. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
9. Midnight Special
10. Don't Breathe

I had this list already made up because I wrote it up back then for an article I wrote. Some of the movies might not hold up as well for me now as they did originally but this is that list.

01. The Accountant
02. Captain America: Civil War
03. Zootopia
04. Central Intelligence
05. Jason Bourne
06. Jane Got A Gun
07. The Legend Of Tarzan
08. Star Trek Beyond
09. Hell Or High Water
10. London Has Fallen

There were many others I saw that I liked but didn't make the original list. And some of those are now ones that I watch a lot on On Demand or on TV.

Only thing I've seen from this year is Rogue One, which if not a great movie was certainly my favorite Star Wars since the original three. Surprisingly likable characters, and a sense of purpose. The ending was beautiful, but also kinda disappointing because Disney chose only the last couple minutes to introduce sexual tension rather than give it time to develop into something meaningful.

1. Dnevnik mašinovodje (Train Driver's Diary)
2. The Wailing
3. The Greasy Strangler
4. Tickled
5. Don't Breathe
6. Train to Busan
7. Donald Trump's The Art of the Deal: The Movie
8. Hunt for the Wilderpeople
9. I.T.
10. Red Dog: True Blue

Reactions: CiG
that gif in the OP keeps making me wanna watch the nice guys again. shane black has annoying tendencies but there are always some great gags in his movies.

Reactions: CiG
Just realised that Childhood of a Leader was actually released in 2016, but the sites mark it as 2015 because it played at the Venice film fest that year. All its other dates are 2016.

3. The Greasy Strangler

Fuck yes. A true connoisseur of the retarded. The main theme gets stuck in my head for days on end anytime I hear it.

The Wailing was this year. If you’re a fan of Asian films or horror, don’t miss this one.

Turned a guy onto The Wailing today, a proud moment.

if you’re looking for more foreign movies from this year i’d say the other ‘major’ ones are toni erdmann and elle. i have other favourites which i’ll post in my list soon but those were the ultra hyped ones.

Reactions: rms