GMD Social Poll: Top Ten Films of 2016

nice, i didn't think i'd seen anyone mention it on this board before, besides myself of course. what did you think? i'm not sure how coherent it is but it constantly kept me off balance in a way i loved.

Oh yeah loved it man, unfortunately my DVD is the theatrical version (shakes fist at Ebay seller with false info) so before this round ends I'm definitely tracking down the 3 hour director's cut and watching it again. Big chance it's making my top 10, though I still have a lot to watch and rewatch.

1. Hell or High Water
2. The Wailing
3. Arrival
4. The Nice Guys
5. Star Wars: Rogue One
6. Shin Godzilla
7. Star Trek: Beyond
8. Doctor Strange

Doing this list reminded me that there are a lot of movies from 2016 I still need to see.

Reactions: CiG
@Oblivious Maximus you might like The Love Witch, it feels like it owes a lot to Jes Franco in terms of aesthetic. I won't spoil anything but I'll just say there's a scene within the first 30 minutes or so where the main character pisses in a jar, puts a used tampon in it, some herbs and then buries it with a man in his own garden while wearing only some panties.

tumblr_olbniiCDlH1qzhvd4o2_1280.jpg

The movie is like it came from another dimension.

@Oblivious Maximus you might like The Love Witch, it feels like it owes a lot to Jes Franco in terms of aesthetic. I won't spoil anything but I'll just say there's a scene within the first 30 minutes or so where the main character pisses in a jar, puts a used tampon in it, some herbs and then buries it with a man in his own garden while wearing only some panties.

View attachment 25746

The movie is like it came from another dimension.
I'm good. I'll never deny Biller's visual skills but she's so vapid and braindead she belongs in a medical lab for experimentation. http://annabillersblog.blogspot.com/

star.jpgx.jpgChildhood_of_a_Leader.jpggddfg.jpg11ELLE-superJumbo.jpg
wailing2.jpgThe_Handmaiden_2016_Kim_Min-Hee_Kim_Tae-Ri_-_Video_Clip_04.avi.jpg72d070492d66ce2b321a7af6f0f13897.pngshin-godzilla_1.jpgljg.jpg

1. American Honey (Andrea Arnold)
2. The Alchemist Cookbook (Joel Potrykus)
3. The Childhood of a Leader (Brady Corbet)
4. Personal Shopper (Olivier Assayas)
5. Elle (Paul Verhoeven)
6. The Wailing (Na Hong-jin)
7. The Handmaiden (Park Chan-wook)
8. The Neon Demon (Nicolas Winding Refn)
9. Shin Godzilla (Hideaki Anno)
10. Under the Shadow (Babak Anvari)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
11. Hell or High Water (David Mackenzie)
12. A Bride for Rip Van Winkle (Shunji Iwai)
13. Arrival (Denis Villeneuve)
14. Hello Destroyer (Kevan Funk)
15. Silence (Martin Scorsese)
16. The Greasy Strangler (Jim Hosking)
17. The Love Witch (Anna Biller)
18. Little Sister (Zach Clark)
19. Paterson (Jim Jarmusch)
20. Doctor Strange (Scott Derrickson)

The Alchemist Cookbook has 2016's funniest scene for my money:

Also I think American Honey would make a great double feature with The Florida Project, and The Childhood of a Leader has a great nerve-racking soundtrack by Scott Walker that totally transforms the film.

Still want to see; Manchester by the Sea, Certain Women, The Age of Shadows, Café Society, The Ornithologist, Nocturama and watch the fully uncut version of A Bride for Rip Van Winkle so things might change. 2016 was a pretty stacked year gotta say.

Edit: Turns out The Bad Batch is actually 2017.

Last edited:
i’ve only seen like the first hour of that, need to watch it in full before making my list. i like andrea arnold a lot though, her wuthering heights is a favourite of mine and from what i saw american honey is basically a korine movie.

Reactions: CiG
How the hell do you strongly dislike Sean Baker? Fucking weirdo. I don't really get a Mike Leigh vibe from her, but I've only seen American Honey.

what the hell did you guys find so enjoyable?? Haha

Hard to explain, but I'm a romantic at heart, I identify with the poverty and Star's desperation to escape her situation into anything else without really thinking before acting. That was a lot of my teens. The cinematography is engrossing (really just a beautiful looking film in general) and I have a soft spot for road movies, especially wunderlust. For me it just resonates on multiple levels.

I read some reviews and I'm pretty surprised a lot of people saw her and Jake as a romance. I was waiting for her to get raped/murdered for most of the film :lol: