GMD Social Poll: Top Ten Films of 2017

Nobody else liked/saw shot caller?......:err:

PuH85pM.gif

Speaking for myself I tried to track it down but nothing too convenient presented itself. Same deal with Get Out and a few others, which I wanted to see before this ended.

Reactions: RadicalThrasher
It was there until literally a minute before I posted the first results, when I deleted it so as to not triple post. If you didn't see it in the 24+ hours it was there, you still wouldn't have seen it in time. If you had some big changes to make to your list I don't mind deleting the results so they can be tallied again, but you'll be doing the tallying and posting of the winners.

Up to you. ;)

I didn't even post a list dude. Clearly in future I need to spend my Sundays keeping an eye out for these abrupt notices :yell:

But nah, I'm not gonna make you take the results down, just having a whinge. My list would've caused a tie for #1 anyhow ;)

Here's how it roughly would've looked:

1. Brawl in Cell Block 99 (Zahler)
2. Call Me By Your Name (Guadagnino)
3. The Square (Ostlund)
4. Phantom Thread (Anderson)
5. Dunkirk (Nolan)
6. Good Time (Safdie/Safdie)
7. Lady Bird (Gerwig)
8. Sweet Country (Thornton)
9. The Killing of a Sacred Deer (Lanthimos)
10. Blade Runner 2049 (Vileneuve)

HM: Icarus (do we count docos?), Get Out, Thor:Ragnarok, Happy Death Day, The Death of Stalin.

Reactions: CiG
Rey is an incredible character and honestly more likable and compelling than Luke ever was; and it's bolstered by the fact that she's probably the best actor in the entire franchise. I'm down with her, don't care about the unexplained facets of her character (i.e. how she's somehow expertly tapped into the force).

While looking something up in the movie thread I stumbled upon this gem. Do you still feel this way or maybe some hype has worn off? I honestly think it's one of the most insane things I've ever read on this site. :D

i think she’s alright tbh. driver is the obvious mvp of the new ones but she’s better than any of the other new side characters, and many of the trilogy’s best moments involve her interactions with driver. i actually think the third film was probably her most compelling performance, for all its other issues; she sells the self-doubt and intense conflicted feelings toward ren p well.

boyega and isaac on the other hand are completely worthless throughout the trilogy.

There's a huge gap between "alright" and "incredible" and an even larger gap between that and "more likable and compelling than Luke ever was."

Granted I think she absolutely stinks and the movies are basically worthless trash, but I can live with "alright."

i don't find luke super compelling either so that's not nearly as high of a bar for me, but yeah calling her 'incredible' is definitely a mark of insanity lol. way too generic for that.

Literal definition of a Mary Sue. :lol:

Admittedly I'm a salty faggot over the new SW films, maybe in a couple of years I'll be able to appreciate the Disney trilogy. I like that Luke doesn't get the girl like most fantasy heroes and the one girl he almost gets is his fucking sister. He'll always be a pussy for not joining Vader and raping the galaxy though.

While looking something up in the movie thread I stumbled upon this gem. Do you still feel this way or maybe some hype has worn off? I honestly think it's one of the most insane things I've ever read on this site. :D

No, I don't. I was feeling major nostalgia after seeing it the first time, which probably had a lot to do with seeing a reboot that was so much better than I, II, and III. I still think she's a good character and more compelling/interesting than young Luke. I also think she and Driver are the best actors in the film. Watching the two of them is highly entertaining.

I'm a big fan of the new trilogy. I'm not looking for anything groundbreaking or revolutionary in them, but they let me live the thrill of the originals without suffering the steaming pile of crap of I, II, III.

i mean, i think there's a good trilogy (and character) in there if the people making it had more balls. if they'd just given the whole thing to rian johnson and got out of his way it could've been awesome IMO. it'd be less frustrating if it was just straight up terrible but it's not, it has a number of great ideas but always undercuts or betrays them because they're too spineless to risk upsetting the apple cart. re: rey's character for example,
it was a cool subversion that she was 'nobody from nowhere' until HURR SPOILER ALERT she's not. it was cool that she loses control and kills chewy because her battle with the dark side is a battle with her own demons until HURR he's alive none of that mattered!
it's just cowardly bullshit all the way. i like the middle film best despite it being the most messy and confused because at least it has ambitions toward rebelling against the safe committee-driven pandering of the films around it. probably the most high profile example of auteurism in recent years.

@Einherjar86 I was just breaking your balls, but interesting to hear some of it was based on nostalgia. I sucked The Force Awakens' dick in 2015 so I get it on some level. Contrary to Wainds, the middle film in the trilogy might be my least favourite, but at this point it exists more like a bad taste in my mouth rather than something I can articulate. Rewatches are needed.

I think the fact that the trilogy is bookended by massive nostalgia-milking says a lot.

Edit:
I know people just like to fall back on "it's Star Wars mate" but
I can't believe after Han Solo dies in The Force Awakens and the heroes return to the rebellion HQ, Leia walks right past Chewie (doesn't even fucking look at him or graze her hand against his out of a deep sense of grief) and hugs Rey. What the fuck is this movie? The writing is so god awful and the intent to shove Rey down our throats as the protagonist is so heavy-handed. She's known Chewie in conjunction with an intimate relationship with Han Solo for the better part of 4 decades and she just walks right past him as if he's a prop. She doesn't even fucking know who Rey is lmao.

I also love the way Finn, a man stolen from his parents as a child and indoctrinated into an intergalactic fascist military order and trained to be an emotionless killer for like 20 years who one day snaps due to sheer violence going on around him and decides to flee, slides directly into 'hur dur dumb ass best buddy' trope and plays the comic relief role. Shouldn't he be a traumatized maladjusted mentally scarred man rather than some bumbling friend-zoned mong who exists seemingly solely for Rey to bounce her endless perfection off of?

I still stand by this, and holy shit was noticing it a defining moment for how I feel about the new trilogy.

Last edited:
if they'd just given the whole thing to rian johnson and got out of his way it could've been awesome IMO.

Agree 100%.

it was a cool subversion that she was 'nobody from nowhere' until HURR SPOILER ALERT she's not. it was cool that she loses control and kills chewy because her battle with the dark side is a battle with her own demons until HURR he's alive none of that mattered!

I didn't mind the first reveal, but yeah, the second one sapped that plot development of any emotional power.

@Einherjar86 I was just breaking your balls, but interesting to hear some of it was based on nostalgia. I sucked The Force Awakens' dick in 2015 so I get it on some level. Contrary to Wainds, the middle film in the trilogy might be my least favourite, but at this point it exists more like a bad taste in my mouth rather than something I can articulate. Rewatches are needed.

I think the fact that the trilogy is bookended by massive nostalgia-milking says a lot.

Nostalgia was a big part of it for me, which I have to acknowledge.

On first viewing I didn't like The Last Jedi. It's now my favorite of the three; I think I actually had to overcome my nostalgia in order to appreciate it more. Some of the subtleties of Johnson's filmmaking and handling of the narrative were more apparent on rewatches. Like Empire, it's a dark film; but it's also the most mythic while somehow managing to be satirically anti-mythic. Really an impressive installment, in my opinion.

It sucks that Abrams ignored major aspects of it in TRoS.