GMD Votes: Top Thrash Metal Albums (Prelim Round)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Ozzman

Melted by feels
Sep 17, 2006
In My Kingdom Cold
Okay, this is going to be a bit different from the OSDM thread. The ranking system is the same, but this is what is different for this round:

Give your list of top albums for thrash. It can be plain vanilla thrash or a combo (death/thrash, etc but please make sure there's more of an emphasis on the thrash portion if you do list stuff like that). You can list any number of albums from any band (so 4 from Testament if you wanted to, for example). There is no cut off for year so anything from the 80s until now can be listed.

I would like somewhere between 10 and 20 for each person but would prefer if you could list at least 15 that way there's a wide array of stuff that could advance. If you give 8 or 25, then I'll include it, but try to do between 10 and 20 please.

The only rule is that it needs to be a full length, non compilation release (so no EPs, demos or stuff like that).

I'll close the thread in 10 days and then tally the votes. The top 20 will advance.

In the event of ties for scoring, the tie breaker will be the number of votes an album received. If that is still a tie and it will determine if an album advances to the next round, I will post a 'tie break' thread for you all to vote.

EDIT:

Also: Please format it like the first two lists. It's easier to parse things in Excel that way

Also please type out the full artist name and album since it makes my job easier.

Happy choosing!

Manila Road has thrash albums... Not sure anyone would consider them the greatest of all time or anything though, that would be silly.
But anyway, inbeforetnb calls everyone a kid/son/whatever other faggot thing he says to try and talk down to people 8000 times in this thread. Will come up with a list tonight.

1. Metallica - Ride the Lightning
2. Coroner - Mental Vortex
3. Sodom - Tapping the Vein
4. Dark Angel - Darkness Descends
5. Invocator - Weave the Apocalypse
6. Morbid Saint - Spectrum of Death
7. Eliminator - Breaking the Wheel
8. Metallica - Master of Puppets
9. Vektor - Black Future
10. Nucleator - Home Is Where War Is
11. Sacrifice - The Ones I Condemn
12. Sylosis - Conclusion of an Age
13. Hatchet - Dawn of the End
14. Lazarus AD - The Onslaught
15. Warbringer - Worlds Torn Asunder
16. Death Angel - The Ultra Violence
17. Aspid - Extravasation
18. Destruction - The Antichrist
19. Slayer - Reign in Blood
20. Violator - Chemical Assault

Really nice to see someone else with high regard for that Invocator album. That will definitely be on my list.

Is that Morbid Saint a two-fer? I'm not counting those either.

1. Destruction - The Antichrist
2. HeXeN - State of Insurgency
3. Testament - Practice What You Preach
4. Vio-lence - Eternal Nightmare
5. Slayer - Seasons In the Abyss
6. Kreator - Pleasure to Kill
7. Death Angel - The Ultra Violence
8. Sodom - Tapping the Vein
9. Slayer - Reign In Blood
10. Testament - The Formation of Damnation
11. Morbid Saint - Spectrum of Death
12. Slayer - Hell Awaits
13. Vektor - Black Future
14. Destruction - Inventors of Evil
15. Sodom - Agent Orange
16. Hatchet - Dawn of the End
17. Overkill - Years of Decay
18. Exodus - Bonded By Blood
19. Dark Angel - Darkness Descends
20. Nuclear Assault - Handle With Care

Also: Please format it like the first two lists. It's easier to parse things in Excel that way

Also please type out the full artist name and album since it makes my job easier.

Thanks!

Really nice to see someone else with high regard for that Invocator album. That will definitely be on my list.

Is that Morbid Saint a two-fer? I'm not counting those either.

I can take Destruction System off, that was a demo that was tacked onto the copy of Spectrum of Death that I got.

I can't wait till you start ripping my soon to be shitty list

You could have waited until a few lists were out before jumping to conclusions you twatsicle. Are you mad just because your DM list included a few hilariously cringeworthy albums? It's ok man.

I'm going to take my time with this one. Gonna go back a listen to a few albums to make sure i have mine in perfect order. Pushing it to 25 really helps. I'll use the last 4-5 spots for a few newer albums and throw in a classic crossover thrash album in there as well.

Currently going through my Coroner albums, one of my all time favorite bands but just like MA, Death and Sepultura, i always have a hard time picking out favorites when it comes to them. I know PfD is tops for me, but it's so hard ranking their other albums(-Grin).

Honestly, I won't be mad if you do 30. I think 10-20 gives people more leeway in terms of choices but it's hard for some people to only do 20 (like d_t in the death metal poll).

I made the calculation system for this stage a bit better since I figured out a way to make sure all points are counted. I was silly and forgot about a simple Excel formula that makes it way easier.

I thought of 10 off the top of my head and I have another 6-7 to add, but the order is going to be tricky. I've been listening to mostly thrash for the last week to get my head in that mode.

Blasting some Coroner right now!

I think Mental Vortex is far and away Coroners best album, even if not the most rawly aggressive, but I appreciate mature albums as well. Honestly I wanted to put AJFA on there, but production kept it off.

1) Sepultura - Schizophrenia
2) Slayer - Reign in Blood
3) Megadeth - Rust in Peace
4) Metallica - Ride the Lightning
5) Exodus - Bonded in Blood
6) Kreator - Pleasure to Kill
7) Coroner - Punishment for Decadence
8) Artillery - By Inheritance
9) Metallica - Kill Em All
10) Overkill - Feel the Fire
11) Slayer - South of Heaven
12) Destruction - Release from Agony
13) Anthrax - Among the Living
14) Sodom - Persecution Mania
15) Sepultura - Beneath the Remains
16) Testament - The New Order
17) Death Angel - The Ultra Violence
18) Flotsam and Jetsam - No Place for Disgrace
19) Vektor - Black Future
20) Havok - Time is Up

1. Slayer - Hell Awaits
2. Sabbat - History of a Time to Come
3. Holy Terror - Mind Wars
4. Sepultura - Beneath the Remains
5. Sodom - Obsessed by Cruelty
6. Sarcofago - INRI
7. Merciless - The Awakening
8. Artillery - By Inheritance
9. Slayer - Show No Mercy
10. Coroner - R.I.P.

I'll keep my list at 20 to exclude albums that I want to mention. Makes it more challenging and fun but I'll at least edit out Metallica, I'm sure enough people will vote on them anyway.

1. Megadeth - Rust in Peace
2. Megadeth - Killing is My Business
3. Slayer - Reign in Blood
4. Slayer - Show No Mercy
5. Metallica - Ride the Lightning
6. Testament - The New Order
7. Sepultura - Schizophrenia
8. Testament - The Legacy
9. Coroner - Punishment for Decadence
10. Dark Angel - Darkness Descends
11. Sepultura - Beneath the Remains
12. Kreator - Pleasure to Kill

i'll rank the rest of these later...

Metallica - Kill Em All
Sodom - Persecution Mania
Slayer - Hell Awaits
Vio-Lence - Eternal Nightmare
Heathen - Breaking the Silence
Destuction - Eternal Devastation
Artillery - By Inheritance
Whiplash - Power and Pain
Razor - Violent Restitution
Tankard - Chemical Invasion
Coroner - RiP
Coroner - No More Color or MV
Vektor - Black Future
Hexen - State of Insurgency

What about To Mega Therion, which thread do we include that classic in?

Destruction System may technically be a demo, but wasn't Spectrum of Death as well? I thought it was just a demo good enough to be pressed later (not something without precedent; see Night On Brocken and IIRC a good number of Wild Rags releases). Since Destruction System was essentially the intended follow-up to Spectrum of Death, and since it is released as a full CD on their discography comp, it should qualify them as a two album band.

Status
Not open for further replies.