GNMD Poll: Top Ten Albums of 1969

#5 Miles Davis - In a Silent Way
(35 Points)

miles.png
Genre(s):
Jazz Fusion

i would just like to add that none of you apes understand miles davis' "dark magus".
WTF?! You like crap like metalcore but also like good stuff like Miles?
Transcribing a miles davis solo...soo goooodddd
I know that Miles Davis was a negro. Does this knowledge make me hip?
Jazz is gay.
Totally fuckin gay.

Richard Cheese is a fine example of that.

But it's also pretty damn straight too. Miles Davis got 3 truckloads of pussy a day.
I always had trouble getting into Jazz because of people recommending the essentials like Miles Davis, I understand they were influential, but their music does nothing for me. I did eventually find Jazz that fit my tastes though.
Bill Cosby said:
You see, the kids, they listen to the rap music, which gives them the brain damage, with their hippin' and a hoppin' and the bippin' and the boppin', so they don't know what the jazz is all about. Y'see, jazz is like Jello pudding... no, actually it's more like Kodak film... no, acutally, jazz is like the new Coke - it'll be around forever...hehehe

Those who voted:
@Oblivious Maximus #2
@crimsonfloyd #5
@jimmy101 #1
@Somethingface #1

#4 Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin II
(40 Points)

zep2.jpg
Genre(s):
Hard Rock, Blues Rock

I would suggest getting Led Zeppelin II first.
I started out with Zeppelin. I loved their "Whole Lotta Love" when it was a hit. Led Zeppelin II was the first hard rock album I ever bought.

Then I got all their albums. I still have moments like ElctricWiz when I play a whole lotta Zeppelin. Their DVD and the 3 disc live set "How the West was Won" are both fantastic!

Those who voted:
@Slammed #9
@Einherjar86 #7
@zabu of nΩd #5
@Krow #3
@Bloopy #7
@Sirjack #10
@crimsonfloyd #8
@challenge_everything #7
@jimmy101 #3

#3 High Tide - Sea Shanties
(53 Points)

High-Tide-Sea-Shanties-1969.jpg
Genre(s):
Heavy Psych, Progressive Rock

I don't know if I agree with that. Sea Shanties is quite extreme for a 1969 record.
high tide's SEA SHANTIES is pretty much the holy grail of heavy psych IMO if you haven't heard it.
For the first part: Definetaly Blue Cheer and "Vincebus Eruptum" as well as High Tide and their "Sea Shantles" - so fucking heavy for its time.

Those who voted:
@HamburgerBoy #5
@CiG #2
@Krow #8
@Bloopy #4
@challenge_everything #3
@Somethingface #8
@Serjeant Grumbles #2
@no country for old wainds #3

Reactions: CiG
#2 Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin
(59 Points)

zep1.jpg
Genre(s):
Hard Rock, Blues Rock

Its basically impossible to go wrong with any of their 6 first albums I, II, III, IV, Houses of the Holy, and Physical Grafitti. Personally I'd say start with the earliest ones though.
Even though I've been listening to hard rock/metal since the early 80's, it wasn't until the late 90's that I started to become more familiar with Zeppelin. Sure, I had heard "Stairway...", "Rock and Roll" and a few other of their more popular songs but that's about it. My first purchase was the 2 disc best-of "Remasters", which contains pretty much all their hits. Even then it took repeated listens for me to really get into the band. After that I started buying the individual studio albums, the DVD and the 3 disc "How the West Was Won".
One point I'd like to clear up:
Zeppelin are often called a heavy metal band or even the creators of metal, and that label is simply wrong! Yes, they were a great hard rock band, but their style was much too blues/folk to be called metal. As for being the creators of metal, well, any self-respecting metal fan knows that lofty title goes to Black Sabbath.

Those who voted:
@Slammed #10
@Einherjar86 #9
@zabu of nΩd #1
@Krow #2
@Bloopy #1
@Sirjack #8
@crimsonfloyd #2
@challenge_everything #2
@jimmy101 #5

#4 Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin II
(40 Points)

View attachment 19777
Genre(s):
Hard Rock, Blues Rock

Those who voted:
@Slammed #9
@Einherjar86 #7
@zabu of nΩd #5
@Krow #3
@Bloopy #7
@Sirjack #10
@crimsonfloyd #8
@challenge_everything #7
@jimmy101 #3
#2 Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin
(59 Points)

View attachment 19779
Genre(s):
Hard Rock, Blues Rock

Those who voted:
@Slammed #10
@Einherjar86 #9
@zabu of nΩd #1
@Krow #2
@Bloopy #1
@Sirjack #8
@crimsonfloyd #2
@challenge_everything #2
@jimmy101 #5

tumblr_nuzosmA7a21tdcoa6o1_500.gif

#1 King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King
(103 Points)

crimson.jpg
Genre(s):
Progressive Rock, Art Rock

Symphonic Prog, Free Improvisation, Jazz-Rock, Psychedelic Rock

I listened to KC thanks to my more prog oriented friends years ago and never like it, nor the "Red" era, nor the 80's ("Beat", "Discipline", "Three Of A Perfect Pair"), or the newer Crimson ("Thrakk", "Vroom", "B'Boom")

Due to the Saxon cover of 'In The Court Of The Crimson King') and a great dancing night including 'Epitaph' I decided to give the debut a shot and like it a lot. Some weeks ago and based on some reviews (big error!) I decided to get "In The Wake Of Poseidon" and frankly I found it too acid, therefore I'm going to stop at it with the band for the time being.
By the way, I'm interested in some KC recs too. I've heard In the Court of the Crimson King (awesome), In the Wake of Poseidon (pretty boring), Larks' Tongues in Aspic (definitely boring), and Red (decent). I'm not too eager to go through their whole discography, since I've heard they did a lot of weird shit that wasn't that good... or even necessarily music. So are there any other 'classic' albums besides In the Court and Red?
In the Wake..., boring? :zombie:

Anyway, try Discipline, it's quite different to their 70s albums but it's really good. You could also listen to THRAK, one of their more recent albums but still fantastic.

And King Crimson don't have any really bad albums except The Construkction of Light which is truly atrocious.
I really don't get the hype behind that record, but 21st Century Schizoid Man is really catchy
In the Court of the Crimson King original UK LP

I inherited it from my uncle.
What's your favorite King Crimson release? I have to go with the fan favorite, In the Court of the Crimson King, but Starless the Bible Black and Lark's Tongue in Aspic are almost as good, imo.
King Crimsons first album, In The Court of the Crimson King was great. Their second, however... In the Wake of Posieden... just wasnt as good.
In the Court of the Crimson King is one of my favorite albums of all time. King Crimson is basically my favorite band though. I think Red is equally as awesome, except John Wetton isn't nearly as good a vocalist as Greg Lake.
i don't really like prog rock in general. if it's not crimson's wistful stately soulless masturbatory nonsense then it's floyd's contrived overbearing down-with-the-kids melodramatics. so sick of most of that shit now.
Red's good, but I find it rather dry compared to the organic, free-flowing style of In the Court. Overall the two albums are pretty close I'd say.

Anyway, In the Court is clearly great, so go hump yourself faggot loser.
everything from King Crimson I've heard I liked, so I'm no faggot loser.

Those who voted:
@HamburgerBoy #2
@Slammed #4
@Einherjar86 #2
@zabu of nΩd #2
@CiG #7
@Krow #1
@Sirjack #4 -
@Oblivious Maximus #6
@crimsonfloyd #1
@challenge_everything #1
@jimmy101 #2