GNMD Poll: Top Ten Albums of 1969

These are hard questions in here because I can only think of one at the moment, which is Led Zeppelin, because of the sound Page got from the Fender Telecaster and the whole band being really tight and so far their excessive drink and drug intake wasn't showing. Also I don't even know if I was alive then, I cant remember so far back for sure. So just one. I failed.

1) The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground
But it's truly, truly a sin...

i'm not one to use music as a crutch too often, but this album has been a great comfort to me over the years. cale's departure allowed reed a greater freedom of expression, and he responded by swerving away from White Light/White Heat into more personal, spiritual territory. every song here is divine with the exceptions of 'the murder mystery', an experiment which the band themselves have disowned but which works better for me than anything on their previous album, and 'some kinda love', which is witty but kinda self-indulgent. special mentions go to 'pale blue eyes' and 'i'm set free', though, the latter of which is my default answer for all-time favourite song.

2) Shirley & Dolly Collins – Anthems in Eden
I wish him well to do, he does not hear me,
I shall not die for love, he need not fear me.

employing a renaissance style in service of a tender, melancholy tribute to the first world war, this is the rare folk album that seems to transcend time. good though they are, the folk rock legends of this era can't compete with sublimity like this.

3) High Tide – Sea Shanties

Smell of burning flesh in the air,
Screaming child, must you stare,
Frying slowly to the bone,
When you're gone,
Who'll be crying?

the alpha and the omega of epic, apocalyptic heavy psych; an off-kilter tornado of squealing violins, liquid guitars, monster basslines and punishing percussion that's far beyond almost all of its tamer, more blues-reliant seventies successors, let alone anything from the fucking sixties.

4) Townes Van Zandt – Townes Van Zandt

You better leave this dream alone,
Try to find another...

elegance, grace and restraint are what define townes van zandt's songwriting here more than anything else. every note in its right place, every arrangement evolving in a subtle, sparing way, rarely leaning too hard into an idea or emotion the way cohen sometimes would, rarely letting his ego take over like dylan (although 'fare thee well, miss carousel', arguably the best song here, is the most dylan-esque). this may be the most natural of the great singer-songwriter albums, which lends itself to great consistency and a hallucinatory flow.

5) The Shaggs – Philosophy of the World
We do our best,
We try to please.
But we're like the rest,
We are never at ease.

i didn't even know there was a missing link between garage rock and the twee pop movement, but perhaps the latter is just the former stripped of its libido and cynicism? draw a line between the jankiest of your nuggets compilations and beat happening, chances are you'd bump into the shaggs.

6) Tyrannosaurus Rex - Unicorn
Sobs on the door where stood before,
A mountain man with sky-blue teeth,
Upon his head a python's wreath,
A deer he slew in the dawning's dew,
Her heart was a dagger for a murderer's brew...

a transporting twee folk record, fey, flighty fantasies of eerie beauty and trembly vulnerability. i had no idea marc bolan was once a version of syd barrett made for me. belongs alongside the shaggs for its innocence, idiosyncrasy and niche appeal.

7) Townes Van Zandt – Our Mother the Mountain

It's plain to see, the sun won't shine today,
But I ain't in the mood for sunshine anyway,
Maybe I'll go insane,
I got to stop the pain...
Or maybe I'll go down to see Kathleen.

i mildly prefer the sparer arrangements of its successor, but this is another stellar album front to back. i'll add that he's also a magnificent vocalist, understanding how to vary a melody or inflect a word to paint a richer emotional landscape.

8) King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King
If we make it we can all sit back and laugh,
But I fear tomorrow I'll be crying...

i don't need to say much about this one. i guess i wish it was more like the cover art, and the B-side doesn't do a whole lot for me, but the A-side is obviously a tour de force. must've been mindboggling to hear this in 1969.

9) Laura Nyro – New York Tendaberry

I wish my baby were forbidden,
I wish my world be struck by sleet.
I wish to keep my mirror hidden,
To hide the eyes that looked on gibsom street.

kate bush and fiona apple, tori amos and patti smith, joni mitchell and joanna newsom; all of them were influenced in some way by laura nyro, the godmother of confessional female singer-songwriters. another album where i just have to praise the intelligence of the arrangements, always refusing cliches and pat resolutions, managing to seem sparse and stark even when there's a lot going on.

10) The Stooges - The Stooges
So messed up,
I want you here...

its worldview is rooted in pre-summer of love garage punk with a sprinkling of the velvets, but it's also so ahead of its time in proto-punk heaviness that you have to wait 'til Hear Nothing See Nothing Say Nothing to hear a riff like 'i wanna be your dog' again.
Fun House is probably their magnum opus, if only because it doesn't contain a 'we will fall' to suffer through for 100 hours, but this is the definitive expression of the disaffected young male, a bored animal playing with its food or, probably more accurately, mate.

1. the velvet underground - the velvet underground
2. shirley & dolly collins - anthems in eden
3. high tide - sea shanties
4. townes van zandt - townes van zandt
5. the shaggs - philosophy of the world
6. tyrannosaurus rex - unicorn
7. townes van zandt - our mother the mountain
8. king crimson - in the court of the crimson king
9. laura nyro - new york tendaberry
10. the stooges - the stooges

HMs:
the open mind - s/t (unsung psych-tinged garage rock record, full of memorable tunes.)
mad river - paradise bar & grill (total mess, incredible highs)
catherine rebeiro + 2bis - s/t (a better version of all that neofolk shit people here like. final couple of songs are amazing.)
neil young - everybody knows this is nowhere (ultimately too dated even for me, but 'down by the river' and especially 'cowgirl in the sand' are all-time jams)
mickey newbury - looks like rain (very nice stuff thx david. gives me some bert jansch vibes in places)
creedence clearwater revival - green river (probably my favourite of the three)
the pentangle and fairport convention albums all peak pretty high, just too inconsistent.
writing on the wall - the power of the picts (good scottish heavy psych, might've influenced purple and heep)

might add a 'top ten songs that didn't make my list' list in a day or two, just because there are so many great songs in these '60s years that came from inconsistent albums.

1. Marva Whitney - It's My Thing
2. King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King
3. Moondog - Moondog
4. MIJ - Color by the Number
5. High Tide - Sea Shanties
6. The Meters - The Meters
7. Rare Earth - Get Ready
8. The Isley Brothers - It's Our Thing
9. The Doors - The Soft Parade
10. Sly and The Family Stone - Stand!

Reactions: CiG
Not much love for Fairport Convention around here... although '69 is a killer year, I realize.

3) High Tide – Sea Shanties
Smell of burning flesh in the air,
Screaming child, must you stare,
Frying slowly to the bone,
When you're gone,
Who'll be crying?

the alpha and the omega of epic, apocalyptic heavy psych; an off-kilter tornado of squealing violins, liquid guitars, monster basslines and punishing percussion that's far beyond almost all of its tamer, more blues-reliant seventies successors, let alone anything from the fucking sixties.

I need to listen to these guys, heard tons about them.

#10 Frank Zappa - Hot Rats
(21 Points)

Hot-Rats.jpg
Genre(s):
Jazz Rock, Jazz Fusion

Progressive Rock

A buddy of mine was big time into Zappa and had maybe 3 or 4 of his early 70's works. It was good stuff, funny amusing or whatever but I was never crazy enough about it to get any myself. A bit too bizare and silly for me. Non the less I recognize the talent and did go to a concert around maybe '74 or 5 and it was a great concert. Excellent sound, big band, great talent.
Yes, a vast and beyond awesome discography. Try- "We're only In it for the Money" and "Hot Rats."
Great song. Hot Rats is a near masterpeice, in my opinion.
I like complex instrumentation and a certain degree of "wankery", as long as it's not just senseless wankery (i.e. Dream Theater, Spiral Architect). Frank Zappa's instrumental compositions are a good example of what I'm looking for, but in a metal context. It's very complex and technical, but it's all helps to further along the piece. Listen to the Hot Rats album. You'll thank me for it.
Frank Zappa writes the funniest lyrics ever and if you dispute this, you don't listen to enough Zappa

Those who voted:
@Sirjack #6
@Oblivious Maximus #4
@challenge_everything #4
@jimmy101 #9

#9 The Stooges - The Stooges
(21 Points)

stooges.jpg
Genre(s):
Proto-Punk, Garage Rock

Psychedelic Rock

I like both, but The Stooges > Led Zeppelin for sure.
>The stooges are the best band of the late 60s/early 70s
>The Who, Led Zeppelin and Cream all existed at the same time

Yeah, you guys are nignogs
Cream were def alright, Zeppelin were only good when they weren't pretending they could play folk , and the Who were overrated but the debut is hella awesome early rock n roll. But none of them could touch the Stooges with a ten foot pole. Not to be cliche, but if you're gonna put some late 60s shit against the Stooges then you might as well be cheesy and say the Beatles. Actually could kinda compete.
first [song I ever played on the guitar ] was I wanna be your dog by Iggy Pop and The Stooges
and for the Brit guy. The inventor of punk is Iggy Pop and the Stooges from Detroit MI
But The Stooges debut? It was like a nuke on D.C. for the late 60's. Funhouse and Raw Power went even further (albeit those two were released in the 70's). They were basically the establishment's worst nightmare. A furious, angry, flagrantly sexual and violent bunch of delinquents playing some of the rawest, loudest guitar driven music ever. And Iggy is the ultimate rock and roll wildman with the exception of G.G. Allin. Aside from G.G.? No fucking contest.

Those who voted:
@CiG #1
@Bloopy #10
@Somethingface #7
@Serjeant Grumbles #6
@no country for old wainds #10

#8 Townes Van Zandt - Townes Van Zandt
(22 Points)

townes_st.jpg
Genre(s):
Singer/Songwriter, Country, Contemporary Folk

Americana

Townes Van Zandt had some dark songs for a country type singer.
I must say that it's a crime that no one has mentioned Townes Van Zandt yet. He's the absolute perfect country artist of all-time and also one even people who don't like country can get into. The man has an amazing ability to take country folk acoustic guitar and make it textured and gorgeous, with lyrics and atmosphere that can rip your heart out and put a gun in your mouth. Or he can just make you tap your toe and clap your hands.
Townes Van Zandt is my favorite singer-songwriter (not that I have much experience with the genre)

Those who voted:
@Krow #5
@Slayed Necros #2
@no country for old wainds #4

#7 Coven - Witchcraft Destroys Minds & Reaps Souls
(24 Points)

coven.jpg
Genre(s):
Psychedelic Rock

Spoken Word, Acid Rock

I prefer Blood on the Snow but this album is of course a classic. It's like they took Jefferson Airplane's early blueprint and made it much more genuinely dark. No OCCULT playlist would really be whole without them.
i agree with CiG about the jefferson airplane comparison with the caveat that i don't like jefferson airplane or that '60s psych sound in general. lightweight shit innit. the bass makes this pretty cool though.
Read Lucifer Rising by Gavin Baddeley for a good history of Satanism in Metal and Rock and Roll. Venom were definitely not the first to put Satan in their lyrics. Coven beat them to the punch by about 11 years with their first album, Witchcraft Destroys Minds and Reaps Souls. Included on the second side of the album is a recreation of a Black Mass.
This is so great. The original occult rock man.

Those who voted:
@Krow #4
@Bloopy #2
@Serjeant Grumbles #3

Reactions: CiG and Bloopy
#6 Townes Van Zandt - Our Mother the Mountain
(26 Points)

townes_mountain.jpg
Genre(s):
Singer/Songwriter, Country, Contemporary Folk

Progressive Country

Never listened to Man's Gin but the ultimate in dark americana is ofc the late great Townes Van Zandt...
Townes Van Zandt somehow manages to always sound like he is singing about some tragic Middle Earth tale.
This is an emotional piece that I really enjoyed. These vocals and lyrics are haunting. I liked this a lot.
I'd play this as I was riding my horse o'er yonder to rescue my beau from the hands of a scoundrel.

Those who voted:
@Einherjar86 #6
@Krow #6
@Slayed Necros #1
@challenge_everything #9
@no country for old wainds #7

#7 Coven - Witchcraft Destroys Minds & Reaps Souls
(24 Points)

View attachment 19760
Genre(s):
Psychedelic Rock

Spoken Word, Acid Rock

I prefer Blood on the Snow but this album is of course a classic. It's like they took Jefferson Airplane's early blueprint and made it much more genuinely dark. No OCCULT playlist would really be whole without them.

Those who voted:
@Krow #4
@Bloopy #2
@Serjeant Grumbles #3

Oh hey, a quote in one of these games I still actually stand by.