GNMD Poll: Top Ten Albums of 1972

#3 Yes - Close to the Edge
(31 Points)

Yes.jpg
Genre(s):
Symphonic Prog, Progressive Rock

best prog rock song of all time.
Yes are trully awesome. Fragile is a prog masterpiece, and so is Close to the Edge... and Relayer... and the Yes album... etc.
The holy trinity for Yes is Relayer, Fragile, and Close to the Edge. The Yes Album's decent. Tormato and Tales from Topographic Oceans, meh.
I hate 'Owner Of A Lonely Heart', because of that crap and the fact that Wakeman wasn't playing with them, I skip them when they played live a few years ago.

Basically IMO Yes worth for:

Fragile (72)
Close to the Edge (72)
Yessongs (73)
Tales from Topographic Oceans (74)
Relayer (74)
Yesterdays (75)
Going for the One (77)
Tormato (78)
No, I guess I should. Yes' arrangements are just so loose, confusing and clinical; I don't really get them. Actually, I like Close to the Edge better than Relayer, but it's still just meh; such elusive, incoherent sound.

Those who voted:
@CiG #9
@crimsonfloyd #4
@HamburgerBoy #1
@challenge_everything #5
@Krow #5

Well it's heavy metal as secondary genre, along with blues rock, so...

So? It's still heavy metal and a bunch of early heavy metal (including Sabbath) had a shitload of hard rock songs and other influences on their albums. It shouldn't even be questioned if one of the founding fathers of the genre who have released numerous songs(ones i've posted countless times on here already)that have literally birthed some of our most beloved subgenres are metal or not. About almost as bad as that one thread we had a few months ago where someone claimed Sabbath werent metal or one of their friends said they werent metal or something. No one here gets to rewrite history so imo that album should defintily no be included in a NON-METAL list.

Also, not only does RYM have metal listed under their name but so does Metal Archives ... who are known for being pretty strict on listing bands that are or have had metal in their discography, and guess what?

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/deep_purple/1178
GENRE: HEAVY METAL/HARD ROCK

#2 Captain Beyond - Captain Beyond
(33.5 Points)

Captain_Beyond.jpg
Genre(s):
Heavy Psych, Hard Rock

Progressive Rock

well it's early '70s psych/hard rock/prog/whatever but they're totally unlike anybody else, major influence on mercyful fate among others (better though). contained ex-members of purple and iron butterfly too (again, better than both). s/t is seriously just perfect, probably the most fluid album ever recorded.
I highly reccomend Captain Beyond (their first album is amazing)
Some surprisingly good 70's rock from a band i've never heard of.
yo okay seriously though folks i think all albums by:

CAPTAIN BEYOND

are all pretty mcuh OVERRATED cRAP (dudes just find a band in that list and quote it :cool: )

Those who voted:
@HamburgerBoy #2
@challenge_everything #3
@Serjeant Grumbles #8
@no country for old wainds N/A
@Krow #3

Reactions: HamburgerBoy
#1 Wishbone Ash - Argus
(37.5 Points)

Wishbone_Ash.jpg
Genre(s):
Hard Rock, Progressive Rock

Folk Rock, Blues Rock

I was into Wishbone Ash back in the 70's, then recently in retrospect I went through a few of thier tube clips and came to realize just how much of them was in Maiden, not just the "twin guitar" but alot of the guitar phrasing and melody as well. The one guitarist Andy Powell (I think thats his name) was extremely good for his era
yeah, not metal but a major influence on NWOBHM. i think the first 3 wishbone ash albums are all at a similar level of quality
I'm on the verge of adding Wishbone Ash - Argus to my very short list of 5-star albums. It needs more time though.
Through the years the band has delved into various musical genres, from folk, blues and jazz to pedal-to-the-metal rock and electronica. Whatever the style, Wishbone Ash’s hallmark is the distinctive twin-melodic lead guitar interplay that has influenced such bands as Thin Lizzy, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Iron Maiden and, more recently, Opeth.
Great album, love "Warrior."
I like the cover for the Wishbone Ash album.

Those who voted:
@Slammed #8
@CiG #2
@challenge_everything #1
@no country for old wainds N/A
@Krow #1

Nope. If I'd intended it that way and knew the grandma police were hanging back to make a pass I'd have said "I got Exmortus to 1st".

6BPiP.gif

Sorry to hear the contents of the final tallied list irked you. Have you tried not giving a shit?
not irked at all, just pointing out and laughing at the idiocy that gets displayed here sometimes. It's something i will always do so don't let it bother you babe.

And you mean not giving a shit about the rules of this thread? Yeah, i stopped giving a shit a while ago which is why i didn't even participate this round. Why bother typing up rules or calling this a non-metal thread if people(including the guy who runs the thread and sets the rules) aren't going to follow the guidelines?

Damn, only one of my votes made the list. Haven't heard some of these, so I'll need to check them out at some point. It looks like it's gonna be next to impossible for non-rock albums to make these lists, unfortunately.

Damn, only one of my votes made the list. Haven't heard some of these, so I'll need to check them out at some point. It looks like it's gonna be next to impossible for non-rock albums to make these lists, unfortunately.

Hip-hop albums have made every list in the 90's thus far.