(16 Points)

Gentle_Giant.jpg
Genre(s):
Progressive Rock

Symphonic Prog

Those who voted:
@Sirjack #3
@HamburgerBoy #3

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#10 Genesis - Foxtrot
(16 Points)

Genesis.jpg
Genre(s):
Progressive Rock

Symphonic Prog

Those who voted:
@Oblivious Maximus #1
@Terasophe #5

Last edited:
Reactions: Sirjack
#9 Steeleye Span - Below the Salt
(16.5 Points)

Steeleye_Span.jpg
Genre(s):
British Folk Rock

English Folk Music, Irish Folk Music, a Cappella

my dad raised me on steeleye span from the age of about three, so i'm pretty much designed to be a fanboy.
check out Steeleye Span. everything from 15th century latin chants accapella to bawdy drinking songs using modern and not so modern instruments. my favorite albums by them are "Below the Salt" and "Parcel of Rogues"
singer reminds me of the cranberries lady a bit

Those who voted:
@CiG #5
@Serjeant Grumbles #6
@no country for old wainds N/A

Reactions: CiG
#8 Blue Öyster Cult - Blue Öyster Cult
(17 Points)

blue-oyster-cult_st_a.jpg
Genre(s):
Hard Rock

Psychedelic Rock, Heavy Psych

Blue Oyster Cult is pretty much awesome
Blue Oyster Cult is not fucking dark.

Still a mandatory listen though.
Blue Oyster Cult is tits.

every song I've heard of theirs I liked.
Actually, that would be perfect, if only there was a BOC styled band that sounded a little more current and not so dated.

Those who voted:
@Bloopy #1
@Krow #4

#7 Deep Purple - Machine Head
(17 Points)

deep-purple-machine-head-20130702145823.jpg
Genre(s):
Hard Rock

Blues Rock, Heavy Metal

Machine head is one of the defining DP releases. Probably my overall favorite.....
Dude, when you pick up that album up, you'll be the proud owner of a proto-metal CLASSIC. That album is easily one of the most influential albums in the creation of metal. And it fucking rules!! :kickass: One of my absolute favorites!
I had initally ignored this thread because i thought it was about the band.

Machine Head is one of the greatest albums of all time, nothing on that album comes close to being filler ... almost the same can be said for Deep Purple in Rock, but the last track is just not on par with the rest of the album.
Really no comparison. Zep all day. Deep Purple is by no means bad band but off the top of my head I can't remember a single song except Burn. Also kinda have to laugh at "musical plagiarism" on a metal board. But hey, we all know TNB is just gonna go against every single zep post because he disagrees, that's why we love him.

Those who voted:
@Slammed #7
@Serjeant Grumbles #7
@Terasophe #2

#6 Scorpions - Lonesome Crow
(18.5 Points)

Scorpions.jpg
Genre(s):
Hard Rock, Krautrock, Progressive Rock

Psychedelic Rock, Heavy Psych

The Scorpions first album, Lonesome Crow, has this totally desolate, forlorn sound. The title track and "Inheritance" are very dark and depressing.
I love "Lonesome Crow" as well I just did not mention it because it not an hard rock album. I love how Michael Schenker is playing on that album! He was only 17 then!! My favorite tracks are the title track and "Action". I still have the album on clear blue vinyl.
So true !! Scorpions made awesome stuff back then(I guess I'm one of the few who luv "Lonesome Crow"), though the new album, didn't quite convince me, anyhow it's still a step in the right direction. :cool:

Those who voted:
@Bloopy #7
@Krow #2

Reactions: Bloopy
#5 Uriah Heep - The Magician's Birthday
(20 Points)

uriah-heep-the-magician-s-birthday.jpg
Genre(s):
Hard Rock

Progressive Rock, Psychedelic Rock

(Almost) everything from Very Heavy (1970) to Return to Fantasy (1975) is godly in my opinion, you can start with Demons and Wizards, Magician's Birthday or Look At Yourself... these are the David Byron years, classic stuff :worship:
Time to break out the bong and pay tribute to one of the greatest Rock bands of the early 70's, a band who I see seldom mentioned here in UMOS. They were quite an influence on many Metal bands, especially with all their fantasy driven, epic tunes.

Which albums do you believe are their best? I'd have to say "The Magician's Birthday," "Demons and Wizards," and "Salisbury."
Heep doesnt totally qualify either, some dark stuff/some bright stuff but they were metal before metal was cool. Good examples of Heeps dark "rock" would be "Lady in Black" from Salisbury ('71) and "Come Away Melinda" from Very 'eavy... Very 'umble ('70). Then Heeps dark protometal which WAS METAL by every rite, would be "Shadows of Grief" from Look at Yourself ('71)
5º) Modern prog rock (Porcupine Tree, Riverside) > old prog rock (Uriah Heep, Pink Floyd)
Hell fucking NO

Those who voted:
@Bloopy #2
@Serjeant Grumbles #4
@Krow #7

GNMD = General Non-Metal Discussion, so NO METAL ALBUMS are to be included in anybody's list.
giphy.gif
you even put it in bold and then you go and vote for Machine Head? :lol: yeah, this is why i wont bother participating in these "non-metal" threads anymore.

I think it's kinda lame how saturated in hard rock/proto-metal this non-metal round was, but I guess that's to be expected on a metal forum.

lmao you think machine head is heavy metal? i guess you aren't very experienced with the genre or something?
this about the lamest attempt you've ever made at trolling me tbh. And i know you dont believe it either. And if you're serious here, a big lmfao and we both know that i am infinity more "experienced" in the genre than you will ever be. You were probably still dangling off your moms nipps when i was listening to some of the bands that you jerk it to right now.

Anyone here who thinks Machine Head isnt early heavy metal should go take a good hard look at themselves in the mirror and never sign on to a metal forum again. Just shows how clueless some of you youngsters here are. Deep Purple were one of the first heavy metal bands, they are one of the founders of the genre and the fact that some of you here still have trouble digesting this is honestly an embarrassment to this forum.

I got Exmortus in 1st in the last yearly poll. I'm on a fucking roll!!!

you even put it in bold and then you go and vote for Machine Head? :lol: yeah, this is why i wont bother participating in these "non-metal" threads anymore.

Well it's heavy metal as secondary genre, along with blues rock, so...

Not saying I wasn't ambivalent about including it on my list, but I didn't feel the need to save it for a hypothetical Top 10 Metal/Proto-Metal Albums of 1972 poll.

Anyways good job Serj!

Kinda hoping the next year is post-70's. C'mon RNG gods!

I'd hate to disappoint you, but...

#4 Uriah Heep - Demons and Wizards
(21.5 Points)
Uriah_Demons.jpg

Genre(s):
Hard Rock

Progressive Rock, Psychedelic Rock

I used to have a few Uriah Heep albums on vinyl and cassette, but the only one that made it to the digital age is Demons and Wizards. I bought that a few years back. I also recall Magician's Birthday as being very good as well. I should get that one too.

Taste the waters, Soundmaster. I can't say I ever went totally bananas over them, but UH is definitely a staple of 70s prog rock. With you being an afficionado of the genre, you should definitely add some UH to your collection. Someday you might invite some old hippie over to dinner, and you don't want to be making excuses why you don't have any Uriah Heep.

However, what truly spiked my interest in hard rock and beyond were bands such as Rush and Uriah Heep.
I just got hard into Uriah Heep a band that I paid attention superficially in the last 20 years. A friend got me "Demons And Wizards" as a birthday present and sparkled the whole interst in them again, so I just got their remasters and I recommend them seriously to all fine collectors and prog oriented ones in particular. At least the albums between "Very 'Eavy, Very 'Umble" (debut) and "The Magician's Birthday" are must be material, considering the ones from "Sweet Freedom" to "High And Mighty" as potential purchases (the ones with the Byron/Box/Hensley triad).
My dad has some vinyls from back in the day from Sabbath, Queen, Zepplin, Uriah Heep, Hawkwind, etc. These days he listens to fucking Adele.

Those who voted:
@Serjeant Grumbles #3
@Terasophe #3