GNMD Poll: Top Ten Albums of 1972

Well each to their own. Learning to Die and Suicide sound darker, fatter, doomier to me. The vocals and drums are more aggressive.
nothing about the music on either of those two tracks is more aggressive than Highway Star or Pictures of Home. Nothing on either of those two tracks is fatter, heavier and crunchier than the main riff on Smoke on the Water or even parts of Space Truckin. There's a reason most people consider Machine Head to be Heavy Metal and there's a reason that only a handful of people think Hard Attack has some metal tendencies. But hey, like you said to each their own.

Last edited:
Someone explain why Deep Purple is heavy metal other than 'cUz OtHeR pEoPlE sAy So'

There's a reason most people consider Machine Head to be Heavy Metal and there's a reason that only a handful of people think Hard Attack has some metal tendencies.

I feel like I'm fighting Ozz's battles now. fml

Reactions: The Ozzman and CiG
are you guys idiots or did you ignore the part where i pointed out which songs are faster and more aggressive and which songs are heavier? And lol
@challenge_everything acting like he gave us some special insight on why one is heavy metal and one isn't when he literally said the same thing i did but applied it to the album that he thinks is more heavy metal. I posted examples and named song that prove i'm right ... what did any of you guys do to prove me wrong? The songs i said are faster and more aggressive are faster and more aggressive, the songs i said are heavier are indeed heavier.
edit: Also how is that you fighting his argument? Hes confused as to how early heavy metal is early heavy metal((i dont blame him, the guy listens to mallcore and groove), you on the other hand agree with me that at least a few of the song on that album are metal. Soo yeah

and @CiG doing what he does by trying to appeal to the popular opinion of this board(something i never gave a single fuck about) like the sheep that is.

Last edited:
I wasn't arguing Dust is heavy metal "because that's what the majority of people think".
so i didnt tell you why i think they're metal? Or are you just choosing to ignore the rest of my post/posts? And yes, lets just ignore their historic classification just because YOU dont think they're metal even though you said there's a few metal songs on the album. But at the same time, you think Hard Attack is because you think two songs are metal? Yeah, sounds like all you did is jump on The Plebmans lap when you had nothing significant to add.

The historic classification is irrelevant for this debate, because Ozz was asking someone to justify why Machine Head is metal without reference to historic classification/popular opinion. You posted a bunch of songs from other Deep Purple albums that didn't address the question, and then when pressed, you pointed to Highway Star and Smoke on the Water as being metal. I've already conceded Highway Star even though I think it's borderline, but nothing else you've said changes my mind. Smoke on the Water is an arena rock song no more metal than say Whole Lotta Love. Space Truckin' is basically a glam precursor.

The historic classification is irrelevant for this debate, because Ozz was asking someone to justify why Machine Head is metal without reference to historic classification/popular opinion.
yes, and you provided him with some insights on why it isnt metal and started talking about historic revisionism(which has nothing to do with peoples opinons?), amirite?

You posted a bunch of songs from other Deep Purple albums that didn't address the question, and then when pressed, you pointed to Highway Star and Smoke on the Water as being metal.

Are you confused? Actually i mentioned Highway Star and Smoke on the Water in the same post right BEFORE i posted songs from some of their other albums that weren't mentioned. Try to stay on point when you're responding to me

but nothing else you've said changes my mind.
i really dont give one bit of a fuck my man.

Did any movies get released in 1976? I don’t remember because I wasn’t born until August. Jaws? Wasnt that ‘76? Who cares. The French Connection is the only movie that matters from the 70s

Hmm...interesting how I actually didn’t tap this thread but rather the ‘76 movie thread

Reactions: CiG