GNMD Poll: Top Ten Albums of 1972

I keep fucking up and forgetting about these lists, so here's a rough, unranked list in case I don't have time to actually go through all of these and others.

1. Jethro Tull- Thick as Brick
2. Curtis Mayfield- Superfly
3. Stevie Wonder- Talking Book
4. Yes- Close to the Edge
5. Al Green- I'm Still in Love With You
6. Cymande- Cymande
7. Al Green- Let's Stay Together
8. Aretha Franklin- Young, Gifted, and Black
9. Nick Drake- Pink Moon
10. Pink Floyd- Obscured by Clouds

Last edited:
Reactions: CiG
CERc.gif

It brings a tear to ones eye!
(Although I could just be jealous because an hour ago he was proposing to me)

Are Flower Travellin' Band too metal for this game? "Hiroshima" is pretty proto-doom TBH.
Tough question, but I've just seen that RYM and Encyclopaedia Metallum are in agreement that Night Sun is at least somewhat metal. Flower Travellin' Band is easily on par with them. Bodkin is another great one that I guess I'll be leaving out. Now I'll be struggling to scrape 10 together here but at least we'll have plenty to use if we do the early 70s as a GMD poll.

Someone explain why Deep Purple is heavy metal other than 'cUz OtHeR pEoPlE sAy So'

I only had 6 on the list this year so I probably won't rate but Steely Dan would be my #1 and I don't think that'll even make the top 10.

Last edited:
Someone explain why Deep Purple is heavy metal other than 'cUz OtHeR pEoPlE sAy So'

I can see where you're coming from. They were labelled heavy metal at the time obviously, but so were Led Zeppelin. Historical revisionism is difficult territory.

Pictures of Home is about the only song on Machine Head I'd comfortably call metal, even though it's not the most aggressive song of the bunch, but it's not dissimilar to what Judas Priest served up a few years later.

I'd probably use a different album to back any claim of them being heavy metal to start with. In Rock certainly has a kind of relentless pace and raw edge to it that reminds me of early Saxon or something.

MOV-1.jpg

1 - Mahavishnu Orchestra - Celestial terrestrial commuters
2 - Carlos Santana and Mahavishnu John McLaughlin - Love Devotion Surrender
3 - Gentle Giant - Octopus
4 - Chick Corea - Return to Forever
5 - Jeff Beck - Jeff Beck Group
6 - Steely Dan - Can't Buy a Thrill
7 - Dias De Blues - Dias De Blues
8 - Chick Corea - Light as a Feather
9 - Roy Buchanan - Roy Buchanan
10 - Premiata Forneria Marconi - Storia di un minuto

Last edited:
1. Blue Öyster Cult - Blue Öyster Cult
2. Uriah Heep - The Magician's Birthday
3. Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Clear Spot
4. Marlena Shaw - Marlena
5. Slade - Slayed?
6. ZZ Top - Rio Grande Mud
7. Scorpions - Lonesome Crow
8. Captain Beefheart - The Spotlight Kid
9. Thin Lizzy - Shades of a Blue Orphanage
10. Ticket - Awake

Night Sun would be my #1, and Deep Purple and Flower Travellin' Band would probably be in there somewhere too. I don't really think they're metal. I'm leaving them out because they have enough metal elements to be included in a GMD poll.

Scorpions might be questionable, but the album seems more along the lines of UFO or Rush or something.

I can see where you're coming from. They were labelled heavy metal at the time obviously, but so were Led Zeppelin. Historical revisionism is difficult territory.

Pictures of Home is about the only song on Machine Head I'd comfortably call metal, even though it's not the most aggressive song of the bunch, but it's not dissimilar to what Judas Priest served up a few years later.
Ummm are you serious? Highway Star and Smoke on the Water dont sound like early heavy metal to you? With the latter having one of the most influential and well know metal riffs of all time. And Led Zeppelin were considered heavy(like plenty of other bands at the time), not heavy metal. Most older people that i know do not refer to Zeppelin as heavy metal but every single one of them would refer to Deep Purple as one of the originators of the genre. Anyone who has truly listened to both bands would also know this.

I'd probably use a different album to back any claim of them being heavy metal to start with. In Rock certainly has a kind of relentless pace and raw edge to it that reminds me of early Saxon or something.
Deep Purple In Rock is definitely heavy metal and so are Fireball and Burn. But Machine Head is their heaviest. They even have some metal songs in a bunch of their other albums but they get far outweighed by the other shit they have on there. Would anyone here argue that this isnt a heavy metal track?

And songs like this is what cemented their legacy as the faster/speedier side of what Sabbath was doing at the time and was a huge influence on numerous bands that we love from the 80's. Its widely known as one of the first examples of "speed metal" ...

Ummm are you serious? Highway Star and Smoke on the Water dont sound like early heavy metal to you? With the latter having one of the most influential and well know metal riffs of all time. And Led Zeppelin were considered heavy(like plenty of other bands at the time), not heavy metal. Most older people that i know do not refer to Zeppelin as heavy metal but every single one of them would refer to Deep Purple as one of the originators of the genre. Anyone who has truly listened to both bands would also know this.

I'm just saying I can see the grey area. A band can still be one of the originators of a genre but it doesn't mean all their songs and all their albums fall into that genre. Yeah, I think I'd probably call Highway Star metal. Smoke on the Water less so, it sounds like rock to me, albeit rock played very loud.