GNMD Poll: Top Ten Albums of 1998

Serjeant Grumbles

Mar 20, 2005
1 9 9 8

big_bear.jpg
Obviously make sure to hit up RYM yourself and search your favourite genres.

The deadline is 10th of November 2019.

The rules:
- submit at least 5 releases.
- first place in your rankings gets 10 points, 2nd gets 9, etcetc, 10th gets 1.
- feel free to post more than 10, but only the top 10 will get points.
- feel free to post less than 10, the same scoring will apply.
- feel free not to rank your picks, in which case all ten picks will get 5.5 points.

GNMD = General Non-Metal Discussion, so NO UNAMBIGUOUSLY METAL ALBUMS are to be included in anybody's list.
giphy.gif

Reactions: CiG
1. The Angels – Skin And Bone
2. Various Artists - Blues Brothers 2000: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
3. Dropkick Murphys - Do or Die
4. Chris Isaak - Speak of the Devil
5. Paul Kelly - Words & Music
6. Dwight Yoakam - A Long Way Home
7. Jon Lord - Pictured Within
8. Joe Satriani - Crystal Planet

1. Cypress Hill - IV
2. PJ Harvey - Is This Desire?
3. Mojave 3 - Out of Tune
4. Cowboy Junkies - Miles from Our Home
5. Bad Religion - No Substance
6. Agnostic Front - Something's Gotta Give
7. Dwight Yoakam - A Long Way Home
8. Onyx - Shut 'Em Down
9. Waylon Jennings - Closing in On the Fire
10. Dale Watson - The Truckin' Sessions

Reactions: Bloopy and CiG
1 DJ Shadow - Preemptive Strike
2 TISM - www.tism.wanker.com
3 Busta Rhymes - Extinction Level Event/The Final World Front
4 Beastie Boys - Hello Nasty
5 Lauryn Hill - The Miseducation of Lauryn Hil
6 Cypress Hill - IV
7 Big Daddy Kane - Veteranz Day
8 Dave Holland - Points of View
9 MC Ren - Ruthless for Life
10 Jerry Cantrell - Boggy Depot

Last edited:
Reactions: CiG
If anyone votes for Neutral Milk Hotel, I'm gonna shoot them. Of all the awful, overrated indie swill, they take the cake.

one of the few indie artists that don't suck in my opinion, just weird hermetic stuff with no close comparison points or much pandering to the usual indie trends. it's a bit precious for me sometimes (I LOVVEV EYOUU JESSSUUSS CHRIIRSSSTTTT) but songs like the title track and 'oh comely' and both parts of 'two headed boy' are keepers for me. pretty sure people shit on it mostly because the first couple of songs are so annoying they switch off then and there, which is understandable tbf.

one of the few indie artists that don't suck in my opinion, just weird hermetic stuff with no close comparison points or much pandering to the usual indie trends. it's a bit precious for me sometimes (I LOVVEV EYOUU JESSSUUSS CHRIIRSSSTTTT) but songs like the title track and 'oh comely' and both parts of 'two headed boy' are keepers for me. pretty sure people shit on it mostly because the first couple of songs are so annoying they switch off then and there, which is understandable tbf.

Well I've listened to it all the way through and still no album in the world puzzles me more about what people see in it. The music is bland, the lyrics are the kind of tripe a teenager would write if they were trying to be self consciously obtuse, and the vocals are so excruciating I'd be booing at a karaoke night.

i suppose i feel that way about the weakest songs on there, but not nearly all of them. the only tune i'd really passionately defend is the title track though, one of my favourite songs ever and perfect in every way to my ears, including the vocals and lyrics. this isn't exactly a crowd i'd expect to embrace it though lol