GNMD Poll: Top Ten Albums of 1998

#4 Turbonegro - Apocalypse Dudes
(18 Points)

turbonegro.jpg
Genre(s):
Glam Punk, Hard Rock, Punk Rock

Turbonegro rocks. Death-punk done the way we love it. They were in the same music scene as a lot of the Norwegian black metal bands, and dressed up as gay men (hence the sailor hat, denim clothing and make-up) to piss off the "conservative" metal musicians. They soon got a cult following in Norway, and soon large parts of Europe (especially Germany). "Ass Cobra", with songs such as "Denim Demon", "I Got Erection" and "Sailor Man", was an important step to getting this cult following. The next album, the magnificant "Apocalypse Dudes", was their definite breakthrough (even in the mainstream) - "Age Of Pamparius", "Are You Ready For Some Darkness", "Prince Of The Rodeo" and "Selfdestructo Bust" are personal favourites. Their singer, Hank von Helvete, when they were at the peak of becoming superstars, collapsed from drug abuse just before a gig in Italy in 1999. Turbonegro decided to take a break from the music scene. During this break, they became even more famous. The Turbonegro fanclub, called "Turbojugend", got branches all over the world (Turbojugend Kabul, for instance). When they returned in 2003 with their record "Scandinavian Leather", there was a huge hysteria around the band. Myself, I wasn't too big a fan of the record, but it was good nevertheless - not just up to the usual Turbonegro standard. Open minded people should check out the above mentioned songs. Enjoy.
I think they are ok, but the best part of them is their name ;)
Quite original :p
Only for partying, don't listen to them on purpose.
The new songs sound a lot like that Turbonegro cover they did... I like Turbonegro, but I don't wanna see Satyricon sound like that, since they have the talent to make something much more complex...
Another band worth mentioning is Turbonegro, up til their reunion they made some elxelent albums. Too bad they didnt go with the origninal band name "NaziPenis"
This guitar tone flattens cities.

Those who voted:
@challenge_everything #4
@Serjeant Grumbles #8
@Krow #3

<TIED WITH>

#4 PJ Harvey - Is This Desire
(18 Points)

pj_harvey.jpg
Genre(s):
Alternative Rock, Singer/Songwriter

Trip Hop, Downtempo

Tristania, Hole, Garbage, Tori Amos, Bjork, Fiona Apple, Portishead, Jack Off Jill, Kittie, L7, Lacuna Coil, The Distillers, PJ Harvey..there's a lot I like.. :)
Oh god I love Pj Harvey. I have been on a huge Pj kick recently. She quickly flew up my last fm charts. I think she resides in the #2 most listened spot.
Is Lana Del Gay as good as PJ Harvey? Man I love that chick, Stories From The City Stories From The Sea is an amazing album but also White Chalk blows my mind, all the time I want to hear more music from her, nutter.
Hell no, PJ Harvey is on a whole other level.

Those who voted:
@Oblivious Maximus #2
@Bloopy #3
@Serjeant Grumbles #10

#3 Queens of the Stone Age - Queens of the Stone Age
(19 Points)

QOTSA-jpg.jpg
Genre(s):
Stoner Rock

Alternative Rock

any fans around here?

I really like them. Think they're great!
Their music is very original, and their shows are really fun! :kickass:
They are nice... but they are also metal... stoner metal... that little genre that everyone singles out these days...

I like them very much, that jazz part on their last album was just spooky...
stoner metal? isn't it called stoner rock? hm wait.. Alabama Thunderpussy could be stoner metal :)

if you like QotSA you also might like Kyuss, Fu Manchu, Nebula. all really nice. Kyuss is my favourit of these bands.
They are good, but some people (especially music magazines) overrate them. :zombie:
Saw them live with NIN. Thought they sucked.
I know it isn't metal but if any rock deserved to make it big over all the nu rock crap, it might be these guys.
Queens of the Stone Age tonight! Saw them in December, their live performance is insanely good.
WTF? If Queens Of The Stone Age are nu-metal it'll start raining hammers. Yes hammers.
Queens of the Stone Age are pretty good, but I didn't really like Songs for the Deaf very much. Rated R > S/T > Songs for the Deaf, in my opinion. Also, the band a couple of members were formerly in, Kyuss, are far superior.

Those who voted:
@Krow #1
@dwellerINTHEdark #2

#1 Tori Amos - From the Choirgirl Hotel
(23 Points)

tori_amos.jpg
Genre(s):
Art Pop, Singer/Songwriter

Alternative Rock, Piano Rock, Electronic, Trip Hop, Art Rock

There's one thing that I think is crazy about Tori, & I can't pinpoint how she does this. Everything on "Little Earthquakes" is so memorable. I've been humming the songs. The thing is that those songs are only built around soft piano meodies. Most of the songs are the same in structure & they even all sound similar, but many of them are hummable & memorable nonetheless. It's not like you get a big guitar riff or keyboard solo that sets the mood for the song, the entire album is based off her voice. I couldn't believe that Rabbit in the Moon used a sample for one her songs. Her voice has so much emotion & is very soothing to the ears.
I love Tori Amos but I hate her cover of "Raining Blood"
I Don't bother with her-it's only good because she's copied Kate Bush (as far as I've heared her anyway).
Buy Kate's albums for some really good and original stuff.
I wouldn't say she "copied" Kate Bush but she was obviously inspired by her work.

As for Tori.
I recommend Little Earthquakes, Boys From Pele and my fav, Chiorgirl Hotel.
I think she has a good sound but generally I prefer artists like Regina Spektor and Fiona Apple. I love Tori's version of Smells Like Teen Spirit though.
i like some of her songs but others just get on my nerves... so... yeah.
Tori Amos does some of my favorite covers because she totally reimagines the songs and brings out a different element of the song.
if i wanted to listen to music of this style id listen to tori amos. not the "fagthering"
Tori Amos kicks ass, particularly Under The Pink.

Those who voted:
@Burkhard #6
@dwellerINTHEdark #3
@Crimson #1

<TIED WITH>

#1 Elend - The Umbersun
(23 Points)

elend.jpg
Genre(s):
Neoclassical Darkwave

Dark Ambient

I really want to try and get into this band. I've listened to some of their stuff on youtube and have been very impressed. I love the atmosphere of the music.
Don't hesitate, just buy their entire catalogue and then wonder what the fuck you've been doing all your life.

But if you're just looking for somewhere to start go with The Umbersun or Les Ténèbres du Dehors, although their latest A World in Their Screams is probably almost as good and more easily available too. Although I think The Umbersun was re-released recently. If you want something different, try Winds Devouring Men which is more a mellow darkwave sound as opposed to the violent neo-classical stuff on their other albums.
They get boring after a while.
elend elend elend elend elend elend elend elend elend elend elend elend elend elend
Elend - The Umbersun is really scary.
ELend- its the only band up there that really just plays dark symphonic music, without the need of metal. Try the Umbersun, I know you will like it.

Those who voted:
@dwellerINTHEdark #4
@challenge_everything #1
@Somethingface #5

I really want to try and get into this band. I've listened to some of their stuff on youtube and have been very impressed. I love the atmosphere of the music.

What a weird fucking thing to say. Sometimes I read my old posts and cringe.

Anyway, yeah Elend is awesome. Dumbass young Ein, get it together.

370440-085399716227e3b39e4686227e3b39e46a16467813636227e3b39e46c.jpeg

01. R.E.M. - Up
Favorite song: "Falls to Climb"

71uorun1AZL._UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

02. Eels - Electro-Shock Blues
Favorite song: "Last Stop: This Town"

adore.jpg

03. The Smashing Pumpkins - Adore
Favorite song: "For Martha"

NzItODE0Mi5qcGVn.jpeg

04. The Soundtrack of Our Lives - Extended Revelation for the Psychic Weaklings of Western Civilization
Favorite song: "Century Child"

81rzbuy3HML._UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

05. Manic Street Preachers - This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours
Favorite song: "If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next"

MC02Njk5LmpwZWc.jpeg

06. Matthias Reim - Sensationell
Favorite song: "Lass Uns 1x Oder 2x"

30d39c9c4880edbd4309c4aa09ad6203.jpg

07. Kid Rock - Devil Without a Cause
Favorite song: "Bawitdaba"

LTIzODguanBlZw.jpeg

08. Blümchen - Jasmin