God and the universe and stuff

Spiff

I have the power
Apr 14, 2001
Brisbane, Australia
At work yesterday I got to thinking after overhearing two people talk about evolution and whether we descended from the apes or if God created Adam and Eve and all that nonsense. So I got to wondering...

If God exists then who created God? God can't have been here "always" because always has to start some time. And if the universe was created by a big bang caused by chemicals and stuff, what created the chemicals? Where does the universe end? And what's on the other side of where it ends?

Technically, if one thinks about these things, nothing should exist. But then if nothing existed, then something would have to exist to acknowledge it - sort of like the tree falling in a forest, etc. And if something did exist to acknowledge the fact that nothing existed, then what created that something?

Why cant God, if there is one, have always existed? You are looking at time from your viewpoint, but perhaps the answer is something our minds could never even possibly comprehend, which would be quite possible if God really did exist.

Haven't we had this discussion before? I believe it ended when we all agreed that no amount of speculation would lead to an answer, and that the only time it would all make sense was maybe after you die, so until then, lets not lose sleep over it. One could go insane pondering such things through till the end of his days.

No, I can't comprehend something having always existed. Nup.

I'm of the opinion that as soon as everyone realises there is no logical reason for anything existing, everything will just go *pop* and disappear.

Spiff said:
No, I can't comprehend something having always existed. Nup.
Thats exactly my point. You cant comprehend it, its out of your sphere of reasoning!

Personally I don't believe in God really, and I don't belong to a specific religion. I have spent a lot of time in the past thinking about this sort of thing, and how you feel so seperate from the rest of world etc. I also really don't know whether we were created by something/someone at the beginning or if we evolved from other animals.... But I dunno. Humans are just so different. How could such intelligence evolve from a simple minded monkey. How could something so unique come from that? Argh anyway there's not much point trying to work it all out because yes I do believe after you die, everything becomes so clear........ I sound really stupid >.< xxx

Quantum physics says that 'something' can be created from 'nothing' and so the universe could have just spontaneously formed without any outside prodding or poking.

On ABC on Sunday night there was an interesting program about religion and the brain. It turns out that people with temporal lobe epilepsy are prone to strong religious experiences regardless of their faith or lack thereof. There are researchers investigating this by exposing volunteers to magnetic fields to try and induce these experiences. 80% of the volunteers, who had no idea what they were volunteering for, said they felt that they weren't alone in the room and that they felt some kind of presence as they manipulated the magnetic fields. It was pretty interesting

Hmm, interesting. I'm reading Bill Bryson's A Short History of Everything at the moment, and it sort of answers some of your questions Spiff, but on the other hand it raises alot. I think Spawny is probably on the right track there, we are only familiar with 3 dimensions, plus the 4th, time. It's likely there are other dimensions we can't even fathom that are tied in with the beginning/creation/always-was-ness of the universe.

Agnostism is the belief that there are some things that are beyond human understanding. The origins of the Universe is one of these things. We can speculate on them, but we can't know for sure. As for the evolution of the human species, modern theories suggest that Man and Apes evolved from a common ancestor. Man didn't evolve from apes, but from something else that also gave rise to apes.

:)