God and the universe and stuff

My 7 year asked if God was real the other day ...........in my wisdom I said he exists in some shape of from to some and not to others. I know thats a real sit on the fence attitude but as a parent I want him to form his own opinions, beliefs and life experiences and spell better than his dad....

I don't get the concept of gods at all, except if you're coming from a prehistoric/early historic era where you're still trying to figure out why stuff happens. Which we pretty much aren't. I mean, why do people even need them anymore? Doesn't science have enough answers?

Believe what you will, but don't push it on me or knock my beliefs.

I didn't say *all* the answers. I said *enough* answers. I mean, a lot of the things that have been attributed to the various gods are now understood. Isn't it fair enough to think that we'll eventually get to the rest of 'em?

If God does exist then I think I'd prefer Him to be the old testament God - you know, the one that thought you should be put to death for working on the Sabbath and hanging the toilet paper back to front. He ruled back then. :headbang:

A few theories about the origin of the species:

* Man evolved from the apes

* Apes evolved from men (I just thought of that one - what if it's true, though?)

* We're all from Mars and our ancestors had to change planets after exhausting their previous planet's resources. That actually makes sense, but doesn't explain a) how we got here, and b) why our intelligence suddenly went back to square one.

With regards to the "something can be created from nothing", I'm not a scientist so that really confuses me. Doesn't there have to be some sort of reaction from two or more components to create the something?

What I don't get is why some people still accept the bible, koran or whatever as being completely accurate in their entirety. I can understand people believing some, or even large portions of such books, but to think that there could have been no misinterpretations, errors or whatever is a tad naive.

I was hoping I wouldn't have to explain to this you, and you would all find out on your own.

One night, I was sitting in my room, in the dark, smoking hash, listening to anathema because I always do in these circumstances, probably the enternity album.

And I got to thinking, where did I come from?

The answer was simple, who cares.

So i had another cone, and life was good.

Then I got paranoid.

Spiff said:
With regards to the "something can be created from nothing", I'm not a scientist so that really confuses me. Doesn't there have to be some sort of reaction from two or more components to create the something?
In our every day view of the world yes... but our every day view of the world isn't how the universe works. Quantum mechanics and relativity are our two best ways of describing the universe at the moment and they do a pretty good job... not perfect, but pretty good nonetheless.

It's been shown that particles can spontaneously be created from nothing... although for very short lengths of time before disappearing again. This kind of argument applied to the universe results in a multiple universe theory much like that in Back to the Future. At every instant since the big bang the universe has a number of ways it can evolve with every possibility creating a slightly different universe... even those where the universe didn't last past the first millisecond before collapsing back to nothing.

For some interesting reading you might wanna try John Gribbin's In Search of Schrödinger's Cat and then the sequel Schrödinger's Kittens and the Search for Reality. Both should be found in a decent bookshop.

There are some pretty cool theories about life on earth and/or some civilisations springing from close neighbours from other planets. Mostly in regard to Sirius and planets out that way. Pretty interesting stuff. Talking about the pyramids, atlantis etc...

One of them goes along the lines of...ancient civilisation living in atlantis...close contact with people from Sirius...people from Sirius foresaw the destruction of Atlantis/the advanced civilisation...so they sent out 5 of their best minds into the world to allow their kind to survive in some capacity. Enter these 5 advanced dudes to Egypt where they turned a simple farming society into a massive advanced hierachical society (classic ancient egypt stuff) in a short period of time...the people saw their technology and knowledge as being divine...here's the first 5 gods of egypt. Pharaoh's (which the word means something like "son of gods" or some such) become the rulers...possibly decended from the original 5 "gods" who come to the area. There are apparently tellings of strange folk who come from "a different stock" to the local egyptians who looked quite weird who come from the west early on. Anyway...seen paintings and sculptures of Akhenaten? He was one wierd looking dude...ancient genes coming out? There have been tons of depictions of people with elongated heads and arms and shit...and even foetus' found with the same sorts of wierd features.

I love freaky theories like that :headbang:

Sure, not really about the beginning of all this crap around us, but pretty interesting none the less.

How did the universe begin? Easy...the great cosmic anus did a fart...but accidently sprayed some shit at the same time.