professorlamp

I are Joe
Nov 2, 2009
Wales, United Kingdom
We're both gonna do it
just curious to see who'd win
any good exercises i should do?
dumbells or pressups?
or anything you can recommend thats free (i have dumbells already)

I will be videoing it and then putting it on youtube for all to see

We've both never been in fights so you could sort of treat it like fight club :D
if you've never seen that movie i highly suggest running to the nearest tesco or whatever you kids call it these days and buying it

How soon?

If it is a matter of days, then doing weights and stuff now will only make your muscles tired for the day, rather than offer you improvements that will be useful to you.

Well then technique is more important than strength obviously.

Straight and fast strikes, aim for the nose, the temple and the solar plexus. Keep your guard up and think before you hit, never get hot-headed.

That's what I've learned with years of karate, but it might be more useful for killing him than "having fun fighting".

well its the rules of boxing basically so no kicks and annoying as hell submissions
and i'd say in a couple of weeks so probably just best to work on technique more than anythin, and possibly do a bit of running

Don't try and do any self defense moves on your buddy unless you really want to do damage. Hhahaha. Just protect your hands, and keep your chin tucked in and use whatever you have to your advantage I.E long arms, quickness, power etc. If you get pummeled: sweep the leg.

Don't try and do any self defense moves on your buddy unless you really want to do damage. Hhahaha. Just protect your hands, and keep your chin tucked in and use whatever you have to your advantage I.E long arms, quickness, power etc. If you get pummeled: sweep the leg.

They say no kicks but yeah, a good sweep to the leg could get him down pretty fast, especially if he's shorter than you are.

Will you be using equipment to protect your face and teeth and wearing gloves or is it an all out brawl ?

If its the latter then P-E summed it up pretty nicely in his first post.

take your dumbbells and practice punching with them... you'll be quicker when it comes time to use your hands... practice on a bag or something relatively firm... make sure you don't tense your hand until just before impact, this will make sure you get maximum effect on impact.

Don't kill him.

take your dumbbells and practice punching with them... you'll be quicker when it comes time to use your hands... practice on a bag or something relatively firm... make sure you don't tense your hand until just before impact, this will make sure you get maximum effect on impact.

Don't kill him.

Good idea for the dumbbells, in the summer vacations I used that to keep my punches strong and quick.

Keep your knees bent and somewhat relaxed with both feet planted like anchors. Use the rotation of your waist for strength in pushing and throwing. Distance can be dangerous, so i'd recommend getting in close because if he's a boxer his punches won't mean shit. Let him strike first, and use his energy against him. A relaxed, open handed block that redirects his energy will be far more effective then taking a shot to the forearm. Sometimes taking a few punches is necessary to open up your opponent's stance, but never to the face. Throw him off balance, my favorite is either stepping on and holding his front foot down to hinder mobility or wrapping your leg behind his and push the back of his knee in with it.

I am a rubbish boxer, so my advice comes a more defensive standpoint. I spar with my friend who has trained karate his whole life, and I who have no formal training use these philosophies to exploit his offensive disposition. For what its worth, check out Master Wong on youtube, I've been following his daily instructional videos to further understand the Tai Chi and Chi Na aspects of martial arts. I'd much rather end a confrontation immediately rather then make a spectacle of it, so try not to take too much out of this if you want to make it interesting.

This is a fucking stupid idea.

We've both never been in fights so you could sort of treat it like fight club :D
if you've never seen that movie i highly suggest running to the nearest tesco or whatever you kids call it these days and buying it

You got the wrong message out of Fight Club if the only thing you took out of it was "how can you know who you are if you've never been in a fight?"

THIS is why I don't hang out with most metalheads.

If there's no convincing that it's a bad idea, keep your hands close to your chin. Punching with dumbells is a good idea, also practicing jab/hook combinations in a few timed rounds with a bag do well also. Try to connect the most with the knuckles of your index and middle fingers.

Also, it might be worth while to scream "FALCON PUNCH!" a few times, might help psych/fake him out.

I am a rubbish boxer, so my advice comes a more defensive standpoint. I spar with my friend who has trained karate his whole life, and I who have no formal training use these philosophies to exploit his offensive disposition. For what its worth, check out Master Wong on youtube, I've been following his daily instructional videos to further understand the Tai Chi and Chi Na aspects of martial arts. I'd much rather end a confrontation immediately rather then make a spectacle of it, so try not to take too much out of this if you want to make it interesting.

But if there's one thing I've learned from DBZ, it's to never let your opponent see your true power until its absolutely necessary :D

Again, just don't do it.

It's absurd. And so fucking dumb.

If that's the message you got out of Fight Club, you're doomed.

This is a fucking stupid idea.

THIS is why I don't hang out with most metalheads.

Just about sums up my feelings too.
Metalhead macho-ism = FUCKING RETARDED and the reason why people think metalheads are dumb fuck cavemen.

A friend of mine lost partial vision from a punch to the eye. Another guy I know lost some hearing. Several guys I know (including myself) have broken or sprained hands/wrists/fingers throwing punches. Fighting is dumb.