Good examples of Porcupine Tree

Lightning05

Feb 3, 2006
Ok, so I've heard nothing but good things about Porcupine Tree so the other day I went onto youtube and listened to 4 different songs by them. Quite frankly I thought it was boring and lame. But maybe I just heard the 4 worst songs by them. I can't remember the name of the them anymore. I just wanted someone to maybe give me a link to a good example of Porcupine Tree. Even if it's just a short song clip. Or the name of some songs and cds that are good or represent them well.

I also wanted to know is everything they do mellow and slow?

"In Absentia" is their heaviest album, I think, so you might want to try that.
they're a progressive rock band, not a metal band. ;)

Mellow and slow? MMM not exactly. Listen to

"Blackest Eyes" on In Absentia
"Arriving Somewhere But Not Here" and "Halo" on Deadwing

Alex78 said:
"In Absentia" is their heaviest album, I think, so you might want to try that.
they're a progressive rock band, not a metal band. ;)
In Absentia is NOT their heaviest album.

The Evil Toucan said:
+1

Deadwing is their heaviest, combining progressive elements with pure, unadulterated death fucking metal :headbang:

LMAO, stfu. Hahaha. Damn inside forum jokes. Haha. But I honestly think Deadwing is a heavy PT album, wouldn't you agree?

Ok, I listened to all the songs and I still can't see what everyone likes about them. Oh well, to each his own :Spin:

The only PT stuff that's heavy is from In Absentia era on (since 2002) and plenty of it is still mellow. But Deadwing is the heaviest album. Russia on Ice is the only fairly heavy song from pre-IA times.

The Sky Moves Sideways friggin' rules. So does Signify. Hell everything by this band rules, I can't pick favorites.

My favorite song is Trains.

However if you're one of those people that judges the quality of music by how heavy it is, PT is not for you.

Jude said:
The only PT stuff that's heavy is from In Absentia era on (since 2002) and plenty of it is still mellow. But Deadwing is the heaviest album. Russia on Ice is the only fairly heavy song from pre-IA times.

The Sky Moves Sideways friggin' rules. So does Signify. Hell everything by this band rules, I can't pick favorites.

My favorite song is Trains.

However if you're one of those people that judges the quality of music by how heavy it is, PT is not for you.
Trains is fucking amazing. Probably my favorite, aside from Arriving Somewhere.

Dark Matter is probably their all-time best song, but I prefer Trains as a subjective matter.