GOOD guitar teachers in Melbourne.

Haha nice.

Since this was bumped I've actually taken lessons from Dean Wells of Teramaze fame. Great player and teacher.
I'm now back on my own trying to make it all sink in and get use out of it.

You know Blanchy from Eye of the Enemy got lessons from him, and he said that even though the guy is an ace player, he didn't feel like the teaching was all too fantastic.

I've had that experience a fair few times in my past. I managed to find some amazing players, that weren't all too good at passing that down to their students. It's worth understanding that being a great player, and a great teacher are two totally different disciplines, and one needs to be good at the latter more than the former in order to be effective for you!

If you find one, let me know ;)

I'd like to respond to this, as I find Blanch's response annoying.

I give students the information, how it's used, and will even play it over music. After I leave, it's up to YOU to follow through. I ain't gonna call you every other day to make sure you're putting in the time.

And let's face it, with YouTube being what it is, you don't even really NEED private lessons anymore, just a bit of self discipline and a metronome. Guthrie Govan is self taught, what's our excuse?

If I were assessing students the way I'm being assessed, I'd say most are in it for the wrong reasons, they don't practice what they've been showed, etc.

To put it in terms everyone can understand; it's all about time and being realistic. If you put hours into your playing, it'll show. If you'd rather play video games and get drunk and get laid and guitar's more of a fun thing, that's cool too. But don't expect a certain level of playing to just jump out of you. Don't expect to play huge sweep arpeggios when you can't even nail pentatonic boxes. A lot of dudes want to walk before they can run, and that's fine, but don't blame the teacher.

Here is my teaching style, I don't see how I can make my explanation any more simple than what it is there.

As for Mark Evans, I believe he's teaching out at 5 Star Music and Dean Wells is still in the St Kilda (Kooyong area). Both guys rule.

Thanks for your time.

http://dougfcknsteele.com/modes-for-metalheads/

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to respond to this, as I find Blanch's response annoying.

I give students the information, how it's used, and will even play it over music. After I leave, it's up to YOU to follow through. I ain't gonna call you every other day to make sure you're putting in the time.

And let's face it, with YouTube being what it is, you don't even really NEED private lessons anymore, just a bit of self discipline and a metronome. Guthrie Govan is self taught, what's our excuse?

If I were assessing students the way I'm being assessed, I'd say most are in it for the wrong reasons, they don't practice what they've been showed, etc.

To put it in terms everyone can understand; it's all about time and being realistic. If you put hours into your playing, it'll show. If you'd rather play video games and get drunk and get laid and guitar's more of a fun thing, that's cool too. But don't expect a certain level of playing to just jump out of you. Don't expect to play huge sweep arpeggios when you can't even nail pentatonic boxes. A lot of dudes want to walk before they can run, and that's fine, but don't blame the teacher.

Here is my teaching style, I don't see how I can make my explanation any more simple than what it is there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG4HdEnYb0U

As for Mark Evans, I believe he's teaching out at 5 Star Music and Dean Wells is still in the St Kilda (Kooyong area). Both guys rule.

Thanks for your time.

http://dougfcknsteele.com/modes-for-metalheads/

Can't agree more with what's been said here! After too long of a time, I finally went back to practicing the fundamentals again and reallly taking my time to concentrate on each technique and focus until I could get it tight and clean everywhere around the neck. That goes for legato, bends, vibrato and sweeps. I didn't realize how much of an improvement it would be, but at the end of the day, it all comes down to patience, practice and persistence... So lots and lots of discipline. I just don't see how else it could be achieved.