Good horror movies?

Nahhhhhh its not scaryy dude, maybe jumpy in parts. But the scary ones are the ones where it makes you think afterwards. Possibly the scariest one ive seen is the ring (jap) version, good lord i couldnt sleep properly for ages after that.

now you can leave horror movies aside, and start seeing some truly disturbed, yet ingenious and dark shit like cronenberg and lynch. (while cronenberg stands a bit outside that genre with his science fiction) have you seen any? what do you think about film noir?

Don Corleone said:
now you can leave horror movies aside, and start seeing some truly disturbed, yet ingenious and dark shit like cronenberg and lynch. (while cronenberg stands a bit outside that genre with his science fiction) have you seen any? what do you think about film noir?

I heard the names, but haven't seen anything from them. What do you suggest?

i mentioned the two because i just saw cronenberg's "existenz." it dates back to 1999 but hadnt seen it. you probably have heard of his "the fly"...pretty graphic, sick movie =) david lynch tends to do psychological thrillers but touches solely on the darkest aspects of the human personality. "existenz" was a good movie, start with that one for cronenberg. then "videodrome" and "crash." (also an excellent novel by j.g. ballard - a bit cyberpunk) see "lost highway" for lynch first.

Don Corleone said:
i mentioned the two because i just saw cronenberg's "existenz." it dates back to 1999 but hadnt seen it. you probably have heard of his "the fly"...pretty graphic, sick movie =) david lynch tends to do psychological thrillers but touches solely on the darkest aspects of the human personality. "existenz" was a good movie, start with that one for cronenberg. then "videodrome" and "crash." (also an excellent novel by j.g. ballard - a bit cyberpunk) see "lost highway" for lynch first.

After browsing a bit on the net, I realised I've seen a Cronenberg movie called "Spider". Thought it was a good movie, but it is more of psychological drama than horror.

Thanks for the recommendations man, I think I'll invest into "Lost Highway", as long as it's an horror movie that is. Something, frightening, sick...without being mindless gore, you know what I mean?

affinityband said:
Yes, truly a disturbing film, Its definatley a classic so you should watch it. Also watch the ring, the jap version. Not the poor excuse of a re-make by the American director.

Excellent. I thought that the first ring was pretty cool by hollywood standard, but the second one was just plain mediocre IMO. Also, I heard good words about Ju-On, know this one?

while the japanese horror realm may bring shock value...i beleive the italian horror genre to be where the artistically memorable and tasteful approach to be. Check out the following films by the following directors, i dont think you will be dissapointed...

Dario Argento:
- Suspiria
- Deep Red
- The Opera
- Tenebre

Lucio Fulci:
- The Beyond
- City Of The Living Dead

Ruggero Deodato:
- Cannibal Holocaust

Mario Bava:
- Twitch Of The Death Nerve
- Schock

Joe D'Amato:
- Beyond The Darkness

NineFeetUnderground said:
while the japanese horror realm may bring shock value...i beleive the italian horror genre to be where the artistically memorable and tasteful approach to be. Check out the following films by the following directors, i dont think you will be dissapointed...

Dario Argento:
- Suspiria
- Deep Red
- The Opera
- Tenebre

Lucio Fulci:
- The Beyond
- City Of The Living Dead

Ruggero Deodato:
- Cannibal Holocaust

Mario Bava:
- Twitch Of The Death Nerve
- Schock

Joe D'Amato:
- Beyond The Darkness

Thanks for the suggestions! I've seen a bunch of Diaro Argento movies, which I liked. As I said in a previous post, I'm looking for something sick and frightning with psychological twist. Not a zombie movie or the likes. What do you suggest?

Sadguru said:
Thanks for the suggestions! I've seen a bunch of Diaro Argento movies, which I liked. As I said in a previous post, I'm looking for something sick and frightning with psychological twist. Not a zombie movie or the likes. What do you suggest?

theres only one zombie film up there. but alright.

try "burnt offerings" and "the serpent and the rainbow". a lot of people havent seen those.

Yeah, Japanese does psychological film very well. Its the whole minimalist camera angle, and it only shows what is necessary in the scenerio. Very nice. Personally im all up for Artsy lookin films, but not in horror as it sort of distracts me from the point