Hope this helps...

Dear Umy, HERE is the calculation procedure that is of our interest. :p

• Friendly match x 1.00
  • Continental championship preliminary x 1.50
  • FIFA/Confederations' Cup match x 1.50
  • World Cup preliminary match x 1.50
  • Continental championship finals match x 1.75
  • World Cup finals match x 2.00

In an odd year, a nation plays an avarage of 4 Continental/World Cup preliminary games and 6-8 friendlies. It's not that difficult to improve on your rankings rapidly only by playing friendlies. If you chose your opponents wisely (weak but overranked teams) you will even get a bonus for scoring lots of goals against a team ranked higher. You definitely get more points for friendlies than for other games during the year - not counting that 8-10 teams worldwide who have a great WC run.

I do not deny that the rankings can give you a rough idea of the teams' strength, but then again the #1 French lost to Senegal ( #42) and Denmark ( #20)on this WC :p

:wave: :loco:

Bah! A nation plays an annual average of 5-6 Continental / World Cup games and 4 friendlies, so you better correct your assumptions. And even those 4 games, assuming all 4 are won by a wide goal margin, do not make that much of a difference, because EVERY team plays friendlies and wins some.
I'm telling you again, if friendlies did have an influence, Turkey would have ranked as far as the 67th spot! Besides, honestly, I do not believe that any team would play an excessive amount of friendlies just to advance a few steps in the ranking. The season's current match load wouldn't permit frequent friendlies anyway, or the players would have to play three matches a week every month and that is by no means possible.

And if you insist that the relative strengths of the teams are better seen on field results than statistical listings, I'd like to remind you of the most current results we have at hand:

Turkey vs Hungary 2-0 (2-2) Euro Qualifiers
Turkey vs Belgium 2-0 Euro Finals

The discussion is over. Turks kick ass. Ivi and Jan are losers. Umy flies to Budapest. And everyone lives happily thereafter... :) :D

It's the 60th minute and I'll have to leave the game if I'm to catch my plane :cry:

And I have to say Belgium plays such smart football today that I'll sit down and cry if they lose this game.

Hmmm.
Belgium was very very defensive in the first half (more defensive than Turkey, I would say), with 4-5 defenders and 2-3 defensive midfielders.
In the second half Belgium could surprise the Brazilians (who were getting increasingly nervous as the time passed and they still couldn't score a goal). Yeah they played definitely better for like 25 minutes. But they got carried away with their attacks and in the end Brazil played the smarter football.
Well this is reality. But congratulations for Belgium. All they needed was a little luck, and anything could have happened. :)

Originally posted by Evilho
Hmmm.
Belgium was very very defensive in the first half (more defensive than Turkey, I would say), with 4-5 defenders and 2-3 defensive midfielders.
In the second half Belgium could surprise the Brazilians (who were getting increasingly nervous as the time passed and they still couldn't score a goal). Yeah they played definitely better for like 25 minutes. But they got carried away with their attacks and in the end Brazil played the smarter football.
Well this is reality. But congratulations for Belgium. All they needed was a little luck, and anything could have happened. :)

I totally agree...
But it is a bit weird that brazil have some big refree mistakes against their opponents..
First brazil-turkey and now brazil-belgium.