"goth" as a loaded word/a people

I suppose I should start by saying the only reason I saw Nine Inch Nails was because Bauhaus was opening for them, and the coolest thing I have ever done was run around Abney Park cemetery in London while listening to Abney Park the corny steampunk gothpop band.

I am fond of a couple of Darkwave/Neoclassical/Neo-medieval acts associated with the "goth" scene :

* Sopor Aeternus and the Ensemble of Shadows (very interesting music)

* Die Verbannten Kinder Evas

As for my thoughts regarding this whole "gothic scene" thing :

cover_sm.jpg

I enjoy a few goth, industrial, darkwave bands (which all seem to often be lumped under "goth"), but otherwise not really.

Ooo and attractive goth girls...I have a spot for them

I like Gothic Rock, Gothic Metal, and the general style of Goth is appealing to me. But I don't dress or act like a Goth.
The Sisters of Mercy, Clan of Xymox, Suspiria and more are good bands.I would like to thank Vossyrus for introducing me to a lot of good Gothic bands. :)

In my school, if you listen to anything heavier than indie rock you're apparently a goth. Or "goff" as people up here would say it. :erk:

yesssssss Clan of Xymox are so good!

here is a list of some bands/acts that fall under the "goth" umbrella that I like:

The Cure
Bauhaus
Clan of Xymox/Xymox
Sisters of Mercy
Virgin Prunes
Siouxsie and the Banshees
Rosetta Stone
Christian Death
Echo and the Bunnymen (fringe)
Joy Division (fringe)
The Birthday Party (fringe)
The Mission/Mission UK
Gary Numan
A Flock of Seagulls (very fringe)
Theatre of Tragedy
Wumpscut
And One
Melotron
Neuroticfish
Eisleben
Funker Vogt
Icon of Coil
Combichrist
Unter Null
Diary of Dreams (only the fast songs)
VNV Nation (sometimes)
The Birthday Massacre
Cruxshadows (sometimes, they get points for having a violinist)

yesssssss Clan of Xymox are so good!

here is a list of some bands/acts that fall under the "goth" umbrella that I like:

The Cure
Bauhaus
Clan of Xymox/Xymox
Sisters of Mercy
Virgin Prunes
Siouxsie and the Banshees
Rosetta Stone
Christian Death
Echo and the Bunnymen (fringe)
Joy Division (fringe)
The Birthday Party (fringe)
The Mission/Mission UK
Gary Numan
A Flock of Seagulls (very fringe)
Theatre of Tragedy
Wumpscut
And One
Melotron
Neuroticfish
Eisleben
Funker Vogt
Icon of Coil
Combichrist
Unter Null
Diary of Dreams (only the fast songs)
VNV Nation (sometimes)
The Birthday Massacre
Cruxshadows (sometimes, they get points for having a violinist)
Siouxsie and The Banshees is good stuff. Ironically, my favorite song I've heard from them has the word Metal in it and it sounds like the singer is speaking German.:lol: I need to get some of their material.
You could add the band Scary Bitches to the list. They have a video or two on youtube in case anyone is interested.

food court druids

Did you just coin this term? Because it's awesome.

Anyway, I like some gothic rock bands. My favorites are Fields of the Nephilim and Rosetta Stone. I admittedly do not have a deep knowledge of the genre. I get a little bit more into different but related stuff like Dead Can Dance.

I also have a thing for goth chicks if they are not too excessive with their makeup and whatnot.

No, unfortunately it is from this book (my favorite book other than Moby Dick)

fcd.gif

Gothic rock is probably one of the best genres ever. Do you like Sisters of Mercy Cythraul? Many say Rosetta Stone are copycattish of them, plus the Sisters have named their drum machine Doktor Avalanche and singer Andrew Eldritch speaks German!

I do agree that goths and metalheads are often lumped together or confused for one another. If you wear more black than most others, keep to yourself, and listen to "different" music you're probably going to be labeled a goth by the general public. "Mallgoths" are most easily recognizable though. But they usually don't listen to any goth music though, instead groups like NIN, Slipknot, Tool and some metal and rock bands. This is also where I think some of the confusion comes from.

Gothic rock is really a long-dead genre except for bands today who are clones of The Sisters of Mercy, Christian Death or Fields of the Nephilim. And there's just too many of these.

However, you can argue that it has evolved or perhaps been replaced with a "dark" music scene. Music today that is being labeled as goth or that appeals to goth audiences generally features less rock and synth, more ebm and electronics. I'm not as keen on the latter personally.

My personal favourites include London After Midnight, Suspiria, Radio Werewolf and Christian Death.

If you're interested in goth life, I'd really recommend watching this. It's awesome, great sense of humour. :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKlH4XX-Wfc&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKlH4XX-Wfc&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator: