Gothic metal

Although gothic culture has states of distinct style and definition in both cultural and musical contexts, the state of being gothic is very much a state of the mind. In such a flexibility of subjectivity through emotion and perception, gothic music if not metal is actually a very widely encompassing genre that envelops pretty much all the bands mentioned. To me, by far the most 'gothic' aspect of any band's music, metal or otherwise, are the lyrics. Although much emotion is of course displayed through the music, it is in itself simply a carrier for the more deliberate and delicate messages conveyed in the words that are sung and spoken. That's one of the reasons why, personally, I consider Opeth to be in actuality a very gothic band, in mood, meaning and feel if not defined musically.

My favourite gothic release; Velvet Darkness They Fear.

Yesterday i somehow felt the need to do a bit of research regarding gothmetal as well as gothmusic in itself encouraged by the discussion going on in this thread.

I happened to learn, that there´s even more different perceptions to it, than i would have ever been willing to accept- IF i hadn´t come to work on my narrowminded view due to the replies i´ve received since the day i started this thread

I hate to admit to myself the complexity of this genre though- as it makes things more difficult and confusing instead of black and white - the way i used to see it (the way i look at things in general btw.)

well- i think that´s about enough insight for one day- i´m off now, downloading a few of the songs recommended here recently. -Mart..

I'm not one of those that will go off the deep end when it comes to Goth Metal but some of the more current releases I've really liked are the latest releases from Tristania and the brand new one from Tiamat will sure please fans of goth metal. Trail of Tears are a really cool band with some goth/death metal influences.

Originally posted by zinescene
I'm not one of those that will go off the deep end when it comes to Goth Metal but some of the more current releases I've really liked are the latest releases from Tristania and the brand new one from Tiamat will sure please fans of goth metal. Trail of Tears are a really cool band with some goth/death metal influences.

..i´m glad, that Tristania and Trail of tears- Napalm records acts are known overthere- seems to me like the chicagoan Napalm collegues do a good job..

however i´m not all too thrilled about the latest Tristania release "World of glass"- (and i´m not the only one)- being as Morten "the genius" Veland is painfully missed (he left the band about a year ago)-
but luckily he decided to come up with a band of his own called "Sirenia" whose album "at sixes and sevens" has just been released over here (in the middle of Europe) so it´s only a matter of time till it´s gonna be available in the states.

Trail of tears have recently finished their new Album "A new demension of might" which is gonna be released very soon..
Watch out for it!!!

As far as the new Tiamat release goes- in my opinion they have long ago "abandoned" the metal genre (i think the last metal output was "A deeper kind of slumber" back in 97´)- playing (goth) rock now- but that´s only my 2 cents worth-
i really liked "Clouds" and of course "Wildhoney" though..

...I wanna find out who "invented" the beauty and the beast style in metal which i consider the most enchanting aspect of (goth)metal in itself.

So i´d be glad if you would all search your memories as to what the oldest Album or single- featuring that style is, that you know of.

Thanx in advance- -Mart..

Ì can't say say I'm 100% certain, but I believe that the first extreme metal band to use female vocals in one of their albums are Celtic Frost in "Into The Pandemonium" and after them Paradise Lost in "Gothic". But Celtic Frost were as much as I now the first, though they had nothing to do with the so-called "goth" metal.

Originally posted by Kveldssanger
Ì can't say say I'm 100% certain, but I believe that the first extreme metal band to use female vocals in one of their albums are Celtic Frost in "Into The Pandemonium" and after them Paradise Lost in "Gothic". But Celtic Frost were as much as I now the first, though they had nothing to do with the so-called "goth" metal.

That´s exactly what i think too!!!

Originally posted by Reykjaviking
I don´t know for sure so correct me if i´m wrong- but i think it was Norway´s (most of the "good" gothmetalbands are from Norway) "Theatre of tragedy", who back in 95´were the first, totally dedicating themselves to- thus establishing this unique, enrapturing, style of metal (Liv Kristine doesn´t do soprano tho) as opposed to other bands (long) before them who were merely experimenting with it on one or the other occasion like "Celtic Frost" back in 86´ ("Necromantical screams") or "Paradiselost" (one of my alltime favorite bands btw.) back in 92´ ("Gothic").

i just wanted to make sure that i´m not mistaken- so like i said before-
feel free to prove me/us wrong- if you know of a band who did the beauty & beast thing even before Celtic frost back in the mid eighties.. input (highly) appreciated!!! thanx in advance -Mart..

Originally posted by zinescene
Damn, I can't think of hardly any extreme bands from that era that even had female vocalist other than Holy Moses. Rattle my brain and remind me of any.

Never heard of Holy Moses but i´m sure as hell gonna check it out- thanx for the tip and your wish is my command: *rattle*rattle*rattle*rattle* :D -Mart..

Originally posted by Kveldssanger

Sounds fair... I can't think of any earlier...

I like most of it, but bands like Type O Negative and the Babylon Whores should give some of their royalty money to Andrew Eldritch since most of 'em copied the Sisters Of Mercy's sound during the "Vision Thing" era.

some people consider after forever and nightwish or even my dying bride gothic, which is imo quite unfair. especially my dying bride...
anyway, after forever are wroth checking. one of the best metal bands around. so much talent.

Has anyone mentioned Devil Doll yet?

If you're not familiar with them, I urge you to check them out, though I wouldn't be at all surprised if you haven't since the man behind the music doesn't seem to be at all concerned with getting the name out there.

DD aren't EXACTLY what you'd call a metal band, but Mr. Doctor, the man in charge, incorporates metal elements into the epic album length songs and some of the harder parts of the songs closely resemble King Diamond and Mercyful Fate.

There's also a long running mystery happening with "the band". Why don't they play live? Will the first album ever be released to the public? Is there actually 900 minutes of recorded material for the Dies Irae album? Will we ever see Mr. Doctor's movies? What the hell is wrong with this guy?

Listening to Devil Doll can be summed up quite simply, but in a very esoteric manner.

Imagine, if you will, that our thoughts are music. Everyone thinks in song. The thoughts in your head are a life long epic musical. Now consider what it would sound like to listen to the thoughts of a dangerously psychotic artist. That is what Devil Doll sounds like.

If you're at all interested, you can chuck down $25USD and join the fan club for all kinds of bonuses and fan club only type shit... or you can order the albums through Century Media.