Gotta get ppl into metal...

Iced Earth, Iron Maiden, and In Flames are good starting points. These bands are what got me into the genre. I don't listen to them much anymore but I still like them.

But I agree with the above posters, I think its better to discover metal on your own rather than have someone stuff it in your face. I found myself naturally progressing deeper into the genre as my interest grew.

Just because something isn't full blown mainstream doesn't make it underground. Bands like Cradle of Filth, Dimmu Borgir, Opeth, Slayer, Meshuggah, In Flames, Soilwork, Shadows Fall, etc all make good money. In the early 90's almost no metal bands were making good money.

I see lots of 14 year old kids listening to power metal these days.

Try bands like Nightwish, Stratovarius, Sonata Arctica and Blind Guardian. These seem to be instant hits with the pop crowd. Hell, Children of Bodom and Stratovarius have number one hits in Finland, that`s gotta mean something, right?

It's pretty useless to try and make people "understand" Metal if they're not into it, though sometimes you may succeed when someone intensively enjoys music. But generally I don't even bother to try anymore.

Best is to make them get used to it with some Metallica etc... and slowly build up to heavier stuff, that's how I got into it (Iron Maiden before Metallica)...

I know what you mean...I loved the comment about all of those fag abercrombie jocks thinking their hardcore because they are into Disturbed or Korn..heh, what a fuckin joke. I live in the U.S. so like nobodys into metal in my small town, about 10 of my friends like this shit..which is pathetic, cause all of my other friends dont like the screaming.:cry:
I got into metal from IN FLAMES and CHILDREN OF BODOM...nobody showed me anything..you just gotta find it for yourself. But of all that pisses me off...Linkin Park. We should start a hate thread toward them, haha that would be great.

thx for the advice anyways

I'm not even going to try to force people into heavy metal unless they want to get into it. Most around here like that watered down nu-metal shit like Linkin Park or something and they don't want to listen to bands like Black Label Society or Slayer because they're too extreme for them. I remember one Linkin Park/Sum 41 fan telling me that heavy metal is all noise and it can not be liked and I listen to it all for the image :rollseyes: So pretty much, the public doesn't know jack shit about heavy metal and most don't want to get into it anyway.