Great artists similar to Seventh Wonder?

floftheim

Zeromantix
Sep 13, 2011
I converted to progmetalism in June 2011 after discovering Pagan's Mind through Spotify.
In August 2011 I discovered Symphony X, and only a few weeks later their best album Paradise Lost was gone from Spotify because of Century Media pulling out of the service. (Insert rant here...)
Looking for similar artists on Spotify i discovered Seventh Wonder in August 2011. O the awakening! Wow!
I now consider discovering Seventh Wonder a pillar in my life.

After listening A LOT to Seventh Wonder the next months, i decided I had to find some similar music so that I didn't wear them out completely (is it possible?).
First I tried Dream Theaters latest album which i really liked, except for some parts of a few songs. In december 2011 i stumbled upon Mind's Eye - A Gentemans Hurricane, which I think is a fantastic album, and just recently I have been listening a lot to Circus Maximus - Isolate, which is also fantastic.

And now to the point: I WANT MORE! MORE I TELL YA! :D

So does anyone have some great artists/albums with similarities to Seventh Wonder for me?

My top bands are SW and CM.... I wish we had more bands of that genius because everything they do just seems to be "right"...

I did really like DGM's Frame, I spin alot of early Edguy, I'm not sure how melodic you want to go but if you can find Westworld - Tony Harnell fronted stuff (love his voice)... No doubt there are other's here that can give you better info than me.. When I find something I absolutely adore, I hardly ever stray from it...

Thanks Jennifer
DGM sounds just what I look for. Have only heard a few of their most popular ones yet, but very promising.
Edguy also sounds promising.
Westworld isn't on Spotify. Too bad, they'll probably be there in time. I found some Starbreaker with Tony Harnell though. Great voice on Tony yes. I'm not into TNT so i didn't recognize his name at first.

Don't be afraid of going too melodic in your recommendations. I'm a bit tiered of growling and noise for the time being.

I have also found another thread that had the same question as this:
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/seventh-wonder/638140-other-bands-like-sw.html

maybe they're a little too symphonic, anyway Artension's firt two records should satisfy you.

The only progressive metal bands I consider better / as good as Seventh Wonder are Dream Theater and Symphony X - bands which: 1. You already know of; 2. Are listed as Seventh Wonder's main influences so would be a logical step even if you hadn't already heard of them; 3. Have a lot more material, only some of which is similar to Seventh Wonder in more than just broad strokes.

Either way, if you don't know all albums (except for their debuts which have different singers, poorer production, generally worse songs) by those two bands those are the best places to look before turning to anything else. In particular try Dream Theater: Scenes From A Memory - it's not my favourite DT album by any means but it is very similar to Mercy Falls, in my opinion.

For other bands I'm probably not that much use, as I've never found any of the other standard prog metal bands to be all that similar to Seventh Wonder, SW are pretty unique and stand head and shoulders above pretty much everything else in the prog (/power?) metal world. I guess I would recommend the band Redemption, in particular Snowfall On Judgement Day and The Origins If Ruin.

I'm afraid though that, although they are good, they're no where near as good as SW. If you find any other prog metal that is as good as Seventh Wonder (and DT, SX), let me know; I want to find it just as much as you :D

Last edited by a moderator:
To Frankgate:
- Artension's first two records.
Sadly only their latest album on Spotify, so i heard a few songs on Youtube, which were pretty good, but had bad sound on Youtube.

To fire_angel:
- Enbound - Combined the souls
Reeaaaly cool song and video. Definately will check out more.

To RuRoRul:
- Dream Theater
I have heard many of their albums, but only their latest has gotten a lot of plays. I looooove "This is the life".
I have actually tried for years to let Dream Theater sink in, before I converted to progmetalism :) . Only late last year I started considering myself as a fan. I am definately gonna let the other albums get more plays. And why not start with Scenes From A Memory if it's similar to Mercy Falls.
By the way, I sometimes want to do bad things to some of the Dream Theater bandmembers for ruining songs with idiotic "wankery"!
- Symphony X
I have only heard their two latest, which i love, but will probably try out earlier albums in time.
- Redemption - Snowfall On Judgement Day and The Origins If Ruin.
These were very good but sadly not on Spotify, because of InideOut Music pulling their repertoire from the service. I predict they will be back within a year :)

Don't worry if your recommendations are not "as good as Seventh Wonder". Not all music can be "the best" (SW). It can still be pretty good, and I cannot listen to the same music all the time just because its "the best" :)

By the way. As you may have figured out I'm (almost) exclusively using Spotify.
I have had enough of cds and files. I now pay for 3 Spotify Premium subsciptions for my family. I still buy music dvd's though.

Hey! :)
As pretty much everyone else including youself has mentioned, Symphony X and Dream Theater are obvious choices.
That being said, if you dont already know about them, you should check out Alter Bridge. They are not what i would catagorize as progressive rock, but i really love and enjoy that band as much as SW.

Another suggestion is "HourGlass".
A band i recently discovered looking for longer prog songs (10 min +).
I really enjoy them as well. Very interesting basslines as well as melodies. They are not as heavy as SX, DT and SW though, but i think a lot of SW fans will like them.

But yeah, as i said, they have a lot of prominent basslines and the vocals are pretty awesome as well.

Hey! :)
As pretty much everyone else including youself has mentioned, Symphony X and Dream Theater are obvious choices.
That being said, if you dont already know about them, you should check out Alter Bridge. They are not what i would catagorize as progressive rock, but i really love and enjoy that band as much as SW.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwhbcdbkeXY

Another suggestion is "HourGlass".
A band i recently discovered looking for longer prog songs (10 min +).
I really enjoy them as well. Very interesting basslines as well as melodies. They are not as heavy as SX, DT and SW though, but i think a lot of SW fans will like them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg_9ynfl_yA

But yeah, as i said, they have a lot of prominent basslines and the vocals are pretty awesome as well.
I was considering saying Alter Bridge although they aren't progressive metal, as they are actually my favourite band ever (maybe joint favourite with DT atm). To me it seems like if people like Seventh Wonder then they might like Alter Bridge, but since it doesn't seem like too many people do around here I thought I'd best stick to straight prog metal. Anyway I second Alter Bridge - that song posted is one of my favourite songs of all time.

I've been meaning to try Hourglass as they sound pretty good.

Alter Bridge is an excellent band. They were probably what i listened most to in the period before i started on my prog-metal journey.
I saw them live in Oslo late last year, proudly wearing my new Seventh Wonder shirt :). Black Stone Cherry also played and was very good.
At the concert, during a break from singing my heart out, I overheard a swedish guy saying he was a guitarplayer, and when I showed him my Seventh Wonder shirt, he was filled with joy and told me he knew the whole band personally. Then he took my iPhone and started searching Youtube for clips of himself playing. He was pretty good :)

Today I have been listening to Scenes From A Memory. Very good, and I think it will grow :)
Will check out Hourglass too. Thanks.

My favorite 'new' discoveries lately regarding prog are Haken and Leprous. I wouldn't say they are similar to SW, but they are damn good anyway. :)

Mmmh, a band that is more like SW is Darkwater for example. They are great too!

I envy you your island. People are not needed to improve life, but new and interesting music is. Have you tried Myrath and Anubis Gate? They are both excellent bands. I only own the latest, self titled "Anubis Gate", but I have the last 2 Myrath cds, and they are both quite fine. I really like Middle Eastern percussion, and Myrath is very hot.

Another satisfying album is "The Lotus Effect" by Sun Caged. None of these bands have quite the total :Smokin: of Seventh Wonder, but you should enjoy the skill and progressive flavor. I am also quite fond of Adagio, although they need to release a new album, and I have not heard their new singer.

Victoria:
The island is connected to the mainland with a bridge and undersea tunnels, so I can see people when I want :)
Every year a free one day music-festival is arranged on the island, last year it had 30.000 visitors!

Anubis Gate I have already listened to a little, and it was pretty good. Will listen more. I will also try the other bands you mentioned. Thanks.

Love your SW-quote by the way.

This makes me really look forward to the next Coheed and Cambria album:

Anyone else likes them here?

No one mentioned Shadow Gallery? I think the vocals are somewhat similar with pop-influences and choirs and what not. Tyranny is good record to start with one of best prog metal records ever made.

And what comes to Symphony X. Their best album is very easily The Divine Wings of Tragedy, and i think around 80-90% of people who listen the bands agree at least from what i've seen. I really don't like the 2 new albums too much. Usually listening TDWOT, Twlight in Olympus or Damnation Game ( edge of forever is such a gem ).

Also for the fans of SX i'd recommend Finnish Anthriel, they've released one record so far and its as close to older SX as it can get i guess. http://www.anthriel.com/
Another band from Finland i'd recommend is Status Minor. Their Dialog is great record, also 2nd one coming out soon. http://www.statusminor.com & [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3wSXlxNsdc&feature=related[/ame] - Old vid. The song can't be found from the records.

Threshold is pretty good also, not as proggy but cool still.

And what comes to Symphony X. Their best album is very easily The Divine Wings of Tragedy, and i think around 80-90% of people who listen the bands agree at least from what i've seen.
DWOT is a great album and is highly regarded among SX albums, but I just want to say I don't think the percentage would be anywhere near that high - few bands would have one album command 90% when it comes to people's favourites. In fact I'd say I see V considered their best more often than DWOT - and that doesn't even include the many people who favour the newer albums over the old ones.

Does anyone else find that they very rarely discover a band that they really like? I've tried out a lot of the bands being recommended here and I like quite a few of them but I just find that even though I might try something out and think it sounds quite good, it's very rare that I find something I actually want to come back to or keep listening to over and over like I do with my current or permanent favourites. I might listen to something and think it sounds good but never come back to it, or listen to an album a few times after I get it but then rarely ever go back to it later. Seventh Wonder is one of the last bands I actually discovered that really made it into my permanent rotation as a band I frequently go back and listen to, and it's been two years since I first heard them.

New bands that I like, I find all the time, but new bands that i reaaallly like, and keep listening to again and again over a long period are few and far between as you also say. But in the last half a year I have found several bands that I think will stay with me. Probably because I discovered a whole new genre (for me).
Seventh Wonder was a immediate hit for me and will be a favourite for a looong time, I'm sure.

What do you think of Mind's Eye - A Gentlemans Hurricane? This album is one that i really love. I have listened to Mind's Eye over 400 times in a little over a month now, and almost exclusively to this album. For me this was almost like discovering Seventh Wonder all over again. What is so sad is that there will probably not be any more albums it seems :-(

Ditto on the Enbound remark. The clean vocals really hit the spot:

Check the mid section!