Great metal amp for recording?

Thared33

Aug 16, 2002
I'm sure there are topics like this but I searched and nothing came up so hush :p

I think I'm going to be doing a switch of brands. I've been using a Mesa rig and it just isn't cutting it for the high gain metal that I'm trying to record. What would you all say are some GREAT amps for recording metal these days, that aren't Mesa? I've been out of the amp loop so I'm not sure what's out there.

I was thinking a Peavey 6505 or something.

Yep. It's basically a Mark IIc+ and a Mark III in one preamp. And believe it or not, even though it's the renowned high quality Mesa gear, I just can't for the life of me get a decent metal tone out of it. Gain is one thing, but it also just doesn't push the saturation and presence that it should. Just doesn't have a full sound.

you're using a mesa, dude, chances are its YOU thats doing something wrong, not the amp
get a TS, work on your micing or use different impulses, try different settings :D

you're using a mesa, dude, chances are its YOU thats doing something wrong, not the amp
get a TS, work on your micing or use different impulses, try different settings :D

I've been fooling around with different mics, tone settings, mic positioning, EQ, delay, convolution reverb - all of that for literally months, and earlier I hooked up my old Line 6 amp.... which produced a better metal recording in a single sitting, and I literally just threw up a mic on the Line 6 cab, than I'd gotten in months out of the Mesa. That's no joke.

I knew someone would say that, and believe me I'm just about to give up because something's wrong here. The boost pedal is a good idea and I've actually got on on the way.

...and lastly, earlier today I smelled smoke and turns out my 50/50 decided to die. So yeah. I'm fed up and I'm moving on I think.

:erk:

fair play man
if you want the obvious answer, 5150, if you wanna be more creative, use a few amp sims and combine like
i dunno, revalver's 6505 sim mid range, 8505's low and and solo-c's high end and do something totally crazy

I agree with XRated, also, the 5150II sounds nice.
I've never been particularly fond of Mesa tone, always seems brittle and jarring.
Peavy's Valve King is actually pretty awesome and it's inexpensive too.

5150 mkII low mids are much less HUGEEEEE than the 5150 though. the 5150 seems to have more thickness on tap with the bass knob, while the mkII's acts more as rumble knob for me, maybe i just need to decouple it from the floor, get some casters for my cab or something.
its fizzier too, still a nice amp, but if you want a bigger, thicker tone with more ease, 5150 mkI is the way to go.

I'm sure there are topics like this but I searched and nothing came up so hush :p

We're getting that lot huh? "I did a search but couldn't find nothing" when sometimes the answer is right in the stickys, or with a very simple search but people just say they did a search so they don't get bashed I guess. Seriously, if you check the clayman thread you'll see 5150 is one of the most widely used amps for metal guitar, people have discussed mesa, peavey and krank amps as the best for metal in a gajillion zizzillion threads. Not being an asshole or anything, just pointing out there are already many threads concerning this, and if you check the FAQ you'll see it's better to use google search on the forum than the internal search engine because it sucks ass

Right on the money mate... Peavey 6505 with a tube screamer all the way... i can swear by my 6505 and they are built like tanks.

Heres a list of sick metal amps that i have played that are awesome

peavey-6505
peavey-xxx
engl-fireball
engl-powerball
marshall- jvm
vht- pittbull
framus- cobra

iv played or own most of these and there all really sweet but anyway you slice it out of all of these i still use a ts on every single one of them.

FTR, I know nothing about the Mesa Quad preamps, and no company is infallible IMO (and also, I've never been impressed by anything I've heard from the Mark series amps for rhythm), so I think it's definitely within the realm of possibility that it's just not the right piece of gear for you! (meaning, not your fault :D)