Greatest Death Metal Release (no bullshit 'top ten' lists!)

The Faceless - Akeldama

A tech-death band from California. I love everything about this CD. Awesome grooves. Check 'em out if you haven't:

www.myspace.com/thefaceless

If you can only listen to one, go with An Autopsy.

As far as a runner up... perhaps Behemoth - Demigod or Arsis - A Celebration of Guilt. Hard to chose.

Immolation- Close to a World Below (death metal perfection; rhythmic variations and dissonant riffs clash to create a hellish yet epic atmosphere that outmatches the rest of the DM crowd)

Some close runner-ups would include The Red in the Sky is Ours, Nespithe, Galloping Through the Battle Ruins, among a few others.

Cryptopsy - None So Vile; I used to think it was just generic death metal, but I realized how good it actually is. Excellent record.

A runner up would have to be Lykathea Aflame - Elvenefris; The drumming is almost, if not more, inhuman that Flo from Cryptopsy. Great stuff, I recommend it to everybody.

Cryptopsy - None So Vile; I used to think it was just generic death metal, but I realized how good it actually is. Excellent record.

A runner up would have to be Lykathea Aflame - Elvenefris; The drumming is almost, if not more, inhuman that Flo from Cryptopsy. Great stuff, I recommend it to everybody.

How do you like Beneath the Massacre's drumming? Reminiscent of Flo.

Lykathea Aflame is a classic example of a band that appeals to novelty without actually having anything of substance to contribute. What a bunch of spastic retards.

This thread is awesome; I'm really enjoying SoG's posts.

Anyways, apart from the usual Opeth fanboy choices, I'd probably have to choose something by Entombed - although my favourite of theirs is Morning Star, which is less death metal-ish than others. Whatever, heh.

I should probably throw mine up here, being the OP.

Meshuggah's status as "death metal" is highly debatable (they're really more thrash/tech IMO) but they have been labelled such, and if you consider that to be true, DESTROY ERASE IMPROVE, the album I've been working out to for... I dunno. A long time.

Death- Symbolic is also a (surpringly popular) runner-up.

Neither of those releases are pure death metal, though.

I agree with you completely. But for some reason, other people don't. So I thought I'd throw that out there.

agnusdei_448x280.jpg