Greatest Death Metal Release (no bullshit 'top ten' lists!)

can't you ban IP addresses?

i'd imagine, but it's never been done thus far for anyone that's ever been banned here, so i don't know why we'd start now. i don't think we should ban anyone. people just need to suck it up a little more and not throw a shitslinging fit when someone says something negative about a band/album they like

I'm just trying to help move the thread in a productive direction.

And a better job at that, you could not have done.

So far, you've incited remarkably trivial and inane semantic arguments with about 75% of the people who posted in this thread, you've claimed that any posts that listed bands that you personally didn't consider great weren't "legit"...you've asserted that people who don't agree with your perception of greatness are simply too stupid to understand it...and you've managed to do it all with a very elitist and condescending attitude, and in one thread. Impressive.

I'm going to go ahead and jump back into the subject matter that was originally at hand. Since listing Opeth here, in a thread about the greatest death metal releases, is nothing short of outright blasphemy and thus has rendered my previous post completely illegitimate, I'm gonna go ahead and throw out a couple more albums, however, they may not qualify as "true death metal", or for that matter, great. I'll have to wait for Scourge's authentication before I know for sure.

In Flames - Jester Race and Whoracle
Dark Tranquility - The Gallery
Amon Amarth - Once Sent from the Golden Hall
Eternal Tears of Sorrow - Before The Bleeding Sun

I listed In Flames because those two albums along with a couple of their newer ones (which I don't care much for anymore) are what really got me into metal for real. Dark Tranquility, because I dig their style and they do a good job of interlacing mellow arrangements with the heavy stuff (the intro to Lethe is godly). EToS has a similar sound to In Flames. though unique in their own way, and Amon just kicks ass plain and simple.

These days people have such a different idea on what death metal is and what is the best death metal to the point there is no point in getting into arguement.

Because everyone gets to be right, even if they're wrong.

Which is why list threads on this forum always end up regurgitating the same garbage acts and enlightening no one. You'd do better to apply a little remedial fascism and encourage the people who don't know shit about death metal to, you know, watch and learn from those of us who do.

I submit Gorguts - The Erosion of Sanity & Necrophobic - The Nocturnal Silence (it's melodeath, but criminally underrated and never mentioned in these types of threads)

Both superb albums - and, to be fair, most of the better death metal is 'melodic' in the sense that it functions as something other than pure rhythm (as opposed to jock rock crap like Cannibal Corpse). Necrophobic certainly doesn't even have the whiff of Gaythenburg about them...

also imo a ban isnt in order... SoG is obviously an intelligent guy

No doubt. I've actually enjoyed his posts to a certain extent. I won't deny that it beefed up the thread quite a bit. After all, a thread with a good debate/argument is generally better than an equivalent thread with nothing of the sort.

I just think he paraded through the thread with way too elitist of an attitude. I like a good debate/argument, even if I lose, as long as one person doesn't act superior to everyone who disagrees with him.

banging-head-on-wall.thumbnail.jpg
:thickasabrick:

Autopsy - Mental Funeral is pretty yummy

Where's that bashing your head on a brick wall smiley when you need it?

I see no problems with criticizing another's musical taste, but they should always be backed up with your own 'better' recommendations. Just going around talking shit about others' posts and not making any real contribution towards the actual goal is retarded.

My 'best' death metal album has to be 'Pierced from Within' by Suffocation

Other decent ones :

Necrophagist - Onset of Putrefaction
Gorgasm - Masticate to Dominate
Gorod - Neurotripsicks
Psycroptic - The Scepter of The Ancients
Anata - The Conductor's Departure (A bit'slow' and doomier than others here)
Cryptopsy - Whisper Supremacy
Deeds of Flesh - Crown of Souls ( Something in the production went a bit wrong )
Deicide - Legion ( Sloppy, but it sounds good that way )
Gorguts - Obscura

Btw, Celtic Frost's To Mega Therion is such a brilliant album. A big contribution to Death Metal's history. Love those Catchy, grim riffs and Tom Warrior's godly shouts, they also introduced some cool elements in extreme metal, like kettle durms and some female chants here and there.