Greg's Super Movie Weekend

Baliset

guitar deity
Jul 31, 2002
New England
www.maudlinofthewell.com
Matrix Reloaded: I am divided on this one. I liked it but I wasn't absolutely floored. I don't loathe it like Toby or Sam either. I felt it was good for the middle movie and had some cool scenes overall but it left me confused and wanting to watch the third one. so i guess it did its job then.

A Mighty Wind: Fucking amazing! Loved it. I still need to see Waiting For Guffman and Best in Show in its entirety but this was a great movie.

Old School: I had an AWESOME time!

I think A Mighty Wind is much worse than either Guffman or BIS, so I think you'll be pleased when you see them. AMW is still hilarious though. The reasons being that those Guest movies are at their most hilarious when they're very very close to reality, not really exaggerated at all; Guffman seems fucking REAL, BIS a little less so, and AMW least of all.

- aforementioned Ilse, She-Wolf of the SS

- Cube (terrible dialogue, unrealistic characters, excellent plot, excellent ideas, excellent design, excellent execution, overall pretty decent)

- 28 Days Later with THREE different endings! Honestly, even though it was the happiest ending, the American theatrical ending was the best.

i really liked 'dreams' and also really liked 'old school'.

i saw kill bill the weekend it came out. it was totally rad.

I'm damn psyched about getting the 28 days later DVD tomorrow cause by the time they released it in theaters with the alternate ending to the americanized crap, I'd already seen it twice.

xfer is definitely right about a mighty wind vs waiting for guffman and best in show. WFG and BiS are far far better.

i think Guffman is the best out of the later-generation Guest films.

i think it is possible to consider AMW better if you are steeped in the traditions of 60s folk music. i'm not, but friends who are tell me that there's tons of in-jokes you don't get if you don't know that X's 3rd album cover was that particular picture, and stuff.

but WFG omg. also, FRED PHELPS.

I am trying to get Kurosawa's "Ran" into the store so I can buy it. I want to see it in a very bad way.

Should I see 28 days later?

I could actually get it tonight.

I think in Kill Bill the whole purpose of the movie/ultraviolence was over-the-top escapism and in that sense it was a total success. It's certainly not the best movie I've seen this year by any stretch of the imagination but it was very very cool.

Well, in Kill Bill, for instance, even the fight scenes have tons of shit you can watch for and think about even if you're not a mindless KUNG FU KICK kind of guy. For example, he's very careful to use three different shades of fake blood: anime blood, Hong Kong kung-fu fake blood, and Hollywood exploitation fake blood.

No, he doesn't say exactly what purpose they serve, but I imagine it's to provide a break in the plot action through dialogue and an attempt to further it through others means?

Also entertainment for the schlubs.