GRIFFIN - "Fuck off, we play hard rock!"

Wyvern

Master of Disaster
Staff member
Nov 24, 2002
Guitarist Kai Nergaard from Norwegian metallers GRIFFIN, recently spoke to Metal Temple magazine about their recent decision not to renew with the Season Of Mist, the label that issued their second release, Lifeforce, on May 16th.

"We actually have three labels now," Nergaard reveals. "In Asia it's a label called Spiritual Beast. In Norway it's FaceFront and in the rest of Europe it's Massacre. Season Of Mist didn't like us and we didn't like them. They wanted us to sound like ANATHEMA or something and we were like "Fuck off, we play hard rock!" FaceFront kind of picked us up after that and released No Holds Barred (2004). We got great promotion in Norway but their distribution outside here sucks, so we had to look for other alternatives. I don’t think No Holds Barred is available outside Norway and Japan. Too bad, really."

Read the whole interview here http://www.metal-temple.com/interview.asp?id=221

I thought it would be a thread about the old US metal band :loco:

Actually I saw the Norwegian Griffin 3 years ago or something, they were opening for Sinergy/Dark Tranquillity but I can't remember anything of their gig. That's what happens when you're stuck in the queue at the bar :tickled:

Actually I posted because I found interesting why did they brought the Anathema subject.

Anathema surely had changed their path over the years, so I wonder is the label wanted Griffin to play death/doom or the soft prog/goth they play now. In either case I don't know why a label want a band to change their sound, if it doesn't fit the label profile why they sign them in the first place?

Yeah, I was thinking...I know an American and a Dutch Griffin :) but never heard of the Norwegian ... Labels trying to change bands never ends up with good stuff as far as I know...

Wyvern said:
In either case I don't know why a label want a band to change their sound, if it doesn't fit the label profile why they sign them in the first place?
That's something that has always baffled me as well. If a band changes a way you don't like, throw them out :D

junnie from the east said:
i think they suits Massacre much better than Seasons. i was wondering why they decided to sign that label, maybe the tour with Meyhem was the attraction. anyways i wish their good luck in th future :)

Hey JFTE I was wondering your blog and the first thing that stroke me was the quote Ange Ou Demon by the picture. Have you ever heard a band called Manigance by any chance?

Griffin- said:
btw, first i tought this topic was about me having to fuck off :lol:

Cute!, do you think I will say that to my daughter? :err:

Wyvern said:
Hey JFTE I was wondering your blog and the first thing that stroke me was the quote Ange Ou Demon by the picture. Have you ever heard a band called Manigance by any chance?

Exactly, i took my title from their album title! glad you noticed it, not many people know them :) do you like this French band?

Exactly, i took my title from their album title! glad you noticed it, not many people know them :) do you like this French band?
though i'm friench I usually don't like metal bands singing in french (with the exception of Trust but they had a punky side the suited well my national language) but I have to say Manigance are pretty good ! glad that stroke a few japanese !!! :headbang:
Metal is INTERNATIONAL !!!! :D

yeah! for me, french sounds very soft, and this is the reason i love hearing this language, but it must be hard to put it together with metal. Manigance has a skill to put it wonderfully and it also makes their identity, i think. pretty talented, and i'm not the only one here who loves them! :)
world is united by metal! :headbang:

yeah! for me, french sounds very soft, and this is the reason i love hearing this language, but it must be hard to put it together with metal. Manigance has a skill to put it wonderfully and it also makes their identity, i think. pretty talented, and i'm not the only one here who loves them! :)
Actually, from what I heard Manigance are even more popular in Japan than over here, this is the reason why the live album was released in Japan many months before the domestic release ;) Great band!

yeah, they are popular here along with Heavenly, but the latter sings in english.
BTW i'm translating something related to Jeanne D'Arc now, and looking up the words like Les Tourelles, Auxerre, etc. interesting that i'm chatting with you french metallers here and searching for the info about these cities :)

what a coincidence... my ex was japanese ;) :p

glad you show interest in French history, a lot of (un-cheesy) metal concept albums could be written about it ! :devil:

Astounding band. I got into them thanks to the great Fangface, I love many French bands and unlike TIE :p I do like singing in their language.

"D'un Autre Sang" was high in my 2004 ranking along with Malediction - "Esclave du Vice" another French band worth checking.

I basically took my chances considering you took it from the Manigance album, it could had been from the Voie De Fait album of the same name (http://metal-archives.com/band.php?id=5984), Fang has also recommend it but sadly is OOP.

Wyvern said:
I basically took my chances considering you took it from the Manigance album, it could had been from the Voie De Fait album of the same name (http://metal-archives.com/band.php?id=5984), Fang has also recommend it but sadly is OOP.
Hmm Voie De Fait is more of a curiosity from the past than a recommanded band actually, you're not missing too much :) Not bad, but don't worry it's no Manigance.