Guys! Wanna hear your 5150 raw tracks!

DSS3 said:
Jesus christ he keeps the gain high!

I doubt those were the settings he'd use, though - those guys are plugged into one of the ENGL's.

I think the settings the Haunted used on rEVOLVEr had the gain at 9 or 10. It's quite possible that they'd use those settings. No rules, it's art. :)

Sinister Mephisto said:
I think the settings the Haunted used on rEVOLVEr had the gain at 9 or 10. It's quite possible that they'd use those settings. No rules, it's art. :)

Albums like Stigmata and Black Earth have a shitload of gain and bass, but they sounds so brutal and crushing.

ThomasN said:
PICT0008.JPG

Is he digging for one there:kickass:

When they recorded with the Haunted, they took the distrotion signal from the preamp of an 5150 and then connected it to an other 5150 preamp but on a clean chanel.
Then out to two 4x12 with microphones on both of them.

Fredrik use to do 4 chanel of every guitar. two in left, two in right with diffrent sound.
The only thing he use to do with the signal is to use an Urei LA22 with ratio 6:1 working only below 150 to 200 hz. Short release and attack.
In the mix he use to add bass, reduce a litte bit at 300 hz, boost at 1,5 kHz with realy big Q.value.
Then boost again at 4 khz.
He use to add just 2:1 full band compression.

/Best regards Thomas

ThomasN said:
When they recorded with the Haunted, they took the distrotion signal from the preamp of an 5150 and then connected it to an other 5150 preamp but on a clean chanel.
Then out to two 4x12 with microphones on both of them.

Fredrik use to do 4 chanel of every guitar. two in left, two in right with diffrent sound.
The only thing he use to do with the signal is to use an Urei LA22 with ratio 6:1 working only below 150 to 200 hz. Short release and attack.
In the mix he use to add bass, deduce a litte bit at 300 hz, boost at 1,5 kHz with realy big Q.value.
Then boost again at 4 khz.
He use to add just 2:1 full band compression.

/Best regards Thomas

Do you know Fredrik personally?

When we talkin about The Haunted, here is pics from the recording of "Revolver" at Studio Fredman:

revolver_12.jpg

revolver_15.jpg

ThomasN said:
When we talkin about The Haunted, here is pics from the recording of "Revolver" at Studio Fredman:

revolver_12.jpg

revolver_15.jpg

good lord look at those settings!
maybe the secret to great tone is ridiculous settings

i really dont see how the tone would sound so good like it does when one of the previous posters mentioned he boosts the 4k range. it would already sound fizzy enough with those settings not to mention with the boost

I think the "fizz" is more highfrequency then 4 khz.
I am sure Fredrik use to bost at 4 kHz.

One thing I have put attention to is that if the sound is Fizzy and you record two tracs, the sum doesent sound that fizzy. It sounds more fat, and the sharp hard sound softens up.
If you record with a very fat nice sound and then redord two tracks, the sum sounds muddy.

/Best regards Thomas

I tried to match the haunted sound and I ended up boosting at 5k to get it fizzier and nastier. There is that element to the sound if you hear the guitar by itself I guess. Also, maybe I'm an idiot. :lol:

s34nsm411 said:
good lord look at those settings!
maybe the secret to great tone is ridiculous settings

haha, I guess good tone is subjective. I've never been a fan of the rEVOLVEr tone at all. Works for the music I guess, but it sounds like 2 pieces of sheet metal having sex to me. :zombie:

Hello,
Sounds like it use to do, but not perfect.
Try to add one more guitar and listen how it sounds. It use to sounds quite different with two guitarrs.
A Marshall often sound warmer and fatter, but with two or tre guitars it use to be muddy and unclear.
I would like to add more mid in youre sound.
/Best regards Thomas

i think the settings that mark managed to pick out from the pictures are the right settings for getting an in flames tone, just messing about with my krank, i got kinda close.

Dou you have an octaver here?
Really nice tone. How was the setting here?
/RB Thomas

Hello,
I spoke with Fredrik Nordström yesterday. I was suppriesed, ho doesn't like 5150! I don't use it when I record, I use Engl, he said. A little bit strange ! He must hav meant when he record himselves with Dream Evil. But I think he have a fantastic sound there! Listen fo Fury the wild on The book of heavy metal.