Hails & Horns

Status
Not open for further replies.
The simplest answer would be to destroy the MPEG codec that enables mp3 filetypes to be played on computers. The MP3 format could be completely destroyed (along with the wma, ogg, or whatever else) by Microsoft in about an hour of actual working time... And the majority of households use Windows. If the system didn't support the filetypes, then nobody could listen to them... the operating system could be set to treat pirated music as a virus and delete it instantly, or disable it from even being downloaded... It's 100% possible but I don't see them ever doing that.

It wouldn't interfere with digital downloads, as they could use special codes or whatever scripted into the files to keep them from being shared with other computers or burned on normal CD-Rs. They could release a special CD type meant specifically for digital downloads that can't be copied onto more CDs or ripped to a computer. It's all stuff that would be fairly effortless for them to do but they don't do it. :eek: Microsoft controls how people use their computers pretty much with their operating system... The transition may not be too smooth at first but people would get used to it.

Also I'd like to note, you can put your music on your iPod or Zune, and you can't take them off onto other computers or other devices, it's simply computer to Zune, nothing more.... so as far as that goes, it's already right. Except they do allow illegal downloaded music to be put on those.

They're already smothering CDs with DRM, they could easily set it up so that you can only rip a CD for use on your own computer and your attached iPod devices... :eek:

I would never blame the fans for that, it's not the fans who are doing it... It's the people who don't give a damn about music in general. Not sure what musicians could do to make a difference, apart from what they're already doing... just making their CDs and playing live... what else could they do? They're releasing CDs with voiceovers or choosing not to release promotional copies at all, but you've got to figure that just hurts the band... I dunno.

Again, I think people tend to miss my point....what the fuck else is new, heh....

I know there's nothing that can be done to change this shit. It's much too far gone. And you're right, there's alot of things that can be done to try and slow the hemorrhage occuring in the industry due to illegal downloading and whatnot, but nothing can stop it completely.

I'd like to read the article you posted Antzor, but that link isn't working for me. Not sure how large it is but if someone wants to copy and paste it here, I would like to read it.

Look once again I will try to make my bottom line clear......I'm just sick of people having a million and one excuses and trying to constantly point the finger here or there for why they basically would rather just steal something. Period. Sure it sucks to buy a cd that you wind up being unhappy with. Sure it sucks when you can't find a cd and wind up having to pay extra just to obtain it. I've been through it too and I've seen and heard all the different scenarios. It still doesn't make it ok for you to illegally obtain it. You download my cd for free and never purchase it, then you've stolen from me. Period. "Oh but its good publicity for you Larry!" Fuck you. It's not your place to make that decision for me. We've put out plenty of free MP3s, we stream our albums in their entirety before their release, we've even printed up compilation cds and given them away free to anyone who wanted them on tour. We've tried really hard to be giving to the fans and keep our prices reasonable. But we cannot just condone basically giving away all of our hard work for free to whomever wants it. You might think bitching about it is pointless because we can't change this, but this is our forum and we can use it to complain and rant, even pointlessly, if we want LOL

I'm sick of hearing the exuses and reasons for why people steal our shit. That's all I'm saying. And I'm sick of people having these lofty opinions about what bands are doing wrong, or how labels are wrong or are greedy, when these people with these opinions honestly don't even know half the truth behind it all. If people think its easy or that they can run a label like The End Records better than it already is, I dare you to try it. The End Records does well for itself considering it's size and the small niche genre it works within, but I can absolutely guarantee you that they're not rolling in the dough, not by any means. They have one of the best, most prompt, reasonably priced and varied mail order services in the underground and yet people will still rag on them, or point the finger at things they're doing wrong, as a means of backing up your reasons why you won't fucking pay for something?? I'm not havin' it, sorry.

I'm sick to fucking death of people lately, man. I'm outta here.

it's a pdf file larry. try to right click and save the link instead of trying to open it right away. it's a long scientific article, with graphs etc. i can't just paste it here (would be far too long anyway)

@oinkness. you reeeeeeeeally have no clue, do you? "it's easy, they just don't do it"? for bluray and HD-DVD the industry spent millions on an encryption system: already hacked. we can "destroy" ogg, an open source codec? or even mp3 for that matter? ever heard of linux? and drm... as long as we use speakers it will always be possible to make an analog copy.

larry, The End are defintely doing a goob job afaic. i purchased about 10 of their releases in the past year alone. great roster, good prices. i am aware that The End is not in the position to change anything, but think about the RIAA's of this world...

I am unable to open or save that file, I don't think I can view those kinds of files on my computer. Oh well, thanks anyhow.

I have a feeling this is something that's just going to continue to go back and forth relentlessly, and some people will never get the point. I'm closing this thread as it's old and gone far off topic, and was only revived because Mr. Bartek wanted to get his two cents in. He did, as did we, and that's the end of it. I'm sick of looking at this crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.