Halo of Blood Over Europe Tour 2013

Just came from the Oulu show, they dropped Kissing the shadows, Sixpounder and Everytime i die (which i would have loved to to hear) from the setlist. I'm a little disappointed and was left wondering why they even have two guitarists when Roope's guitar is so low on the mix that you can't hear it even on solos or melody lines. Even the DHOY solo that i love was not audible. I think they should get a new soundman as ihave been to other Bodom shows where the sound quality has been questionable too. I mean i was right next to the mixing table for a while and the man didn't raise his fingers even though the sounds were lacking. Some songs were probably played too fast too. Also ithink that the longer the show went, the poorer the sound quality got which i think is strange because its usually the opposite. And the sound was a bit poor even though i switched places on the venue.

Some thoughts on yesterday's gig... The creativity in the passages is pretty nice. Particularly when they play a song from the new album, they have the snowfall in the dark, with a moon and atmospheric ambient or sample background. IYF works nice as the encore song, as the passage to it is interesting, this atmosphere of a death crime scene with police sirens and some hectic flashes of the Reaper's shadow. The intro to the first song is the best, with some atmosphere and knife/thumping sounds. Think they should've used that as intro to the album maybe, but there's no song that escalates naturally from it... unless they'd actually made Damage Beyond Repair a worthwhile track.

In my opinion the songs Transference and Needled sound bad live, but for some reason they open the gig. Stand-outs in terms of sound were Angels (probably the best), Living Dead Beat, which is one of the live gems they have, it catches the attention and is a bold track with heaps of epicness... AYDY has been working surprisingly well for the past year and keeps doing so, so much drama, it just sounds much better when the keys are turned up. For Towards Dead End they've created a very good keyboard sound for the verse, which fixes the problem of the lackluster verse - it's like a dual of choir and orchestral hit without the attack. Oh, and Lake Bodom was definitely one of the highlights. Alexi didn't understand why people want to hear such old stuff, which was funny. I think they should play songs like Lake Bodom, Deadnight Warrior and another such as RLIME pt.1 - Something Wild has this magical raw and unholy feeling, which brings nostalgia and evens out the different sound of today.

DMHoY was pretty nice, especially the feeling in the intro, you'll see. Alexi's live passages are of course smoother than during the CRY era. Scream for Silence was pretty good, especially the last, slower chorus, but it I doubt it'll stick around, maybe it'll be replaced with All Twisted or something.

This song seriously needs to be played live, it's begging to be played. It also goes together with the spirit of the snowy lake/moon theme they have now. It's about a bloody revenge on a mysterious full moon night at lake Bodom. It's not dealing with themes like depression and the deceitful power of alcohol, but it's like another murder night at Bodom, maybe inspired by Alexi's desire to avenge this mysterious "brutal guy" from his past, (those events payed an important role in his depression during the FTR days). I'm still suggesting it for gig opener, only replace the spoken intro with the atmospheric intro they have now.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, I was yesterday on their Stockholm-gig. It was quite good, but it was weird to see them abroad, Alexi speaking English and all. Loved the lights and screens on stage. Really created a cool atmosphere when the pictures were changing according to songs. The beginning of the gig was lacking a bit energy but got better towards the end. It was a great surprise that they played Dead man's hand, absolutely love that song. It was also nice to hear Towards dead end though Alexi seemed to forget the lyrics a couple of times. Anyway, quite an average gig, they played well (though Halo of Blood sounded like they had some problems) but I felt like it was missing something. No special stuff happening on stage. Also it was weird to hear HCDR already in the middle of the gig and no signing from the crowds part either.

So, I was yesterday on their Stockholm-gig. It was quite good, but it was weird to see them abroad, Alexi speaking English and all. Loved the lights and screens on stage. Really created a cool atmosphere when the pictures were changing according to songs. The beginning of the gig was lacking a bit energy but got better towards the end. It was a great surprise that they played Dead man's hand, absolutely love that song. It was also nice to hear Towards dead end though Alexi seemed to forget the lyrics a couple of times. Anyway, quite an average gig, they played well (though Halo of Blood sounded like they had some problems) but I felt like it was missing something. No special stuff happening on stage. Also it was weird to hear HCDR already in the middle of the gig and no signing from the crowds part either.
I'm seeing them on the 8th of October. I'll let you know how it goes. :) The set-list is pretty good. :)

Saw them last week, in Tampere and Helsinki. Both shows were great; the new lighting and stage set are really cool, and the sold-out Helsinki show in particular was one of their best I've seen. The crowd was really into it, and the band, and especially Alexi, were feeding off their excitement. Looking forward to the UK shows :D

Tomorrow !!! PLEASE dont fck urself up n cancel the show Alexi ! Do NOT fck around n break anything before the gig ok ! Fooook Ive been waiting AGES for this ! And even at a small place like Amager Bio ! PLEEEEASE let me catch a stick Jaska !!

Hi everybodY!
I´ve won a VIP pass in the competition organized by Continental Concerts & Management GmbH. I was wandering what do this pass include. Is anybody in my situation? I´m from Spain.
Thanks and greetings!

Anybody got the latest playlists from last days gigs ?!

Transference
Silent Night, Bodom Night
Sixpounder
Halo of Blood
Scream for Silence
Bodom After Midnight
Lake Bodom
Hate Crew Deathroll
Shovel Knockout
Dead Man’s Hand on You
Are You Dead Yet?
Blooddrunk
Everytime I Die
Towards Dead End
Hate Me!
Downfall
In Your Face

Was an okey gig, not more.

Best song= Angels

They did not even do the full live version of HCDR- loved that when they was i Stockholm 2009 and it was the encore.

Did take some pics but they're nothing special. So I leave it.

Best song= Angels

True, recent times their best live track has been Living Dead Beat, this summer (and Fall) ADK has been their best live song. It just sounds so great live these times, they put a lot of heart and feeling to it.

Yesterday I was watching Swallow the Sun live again and what separates the live performance from COB is their music might be technically easier to play, but simply playing the notes won't do the trick: such slow, atmospheric music needs to be played with heart, with emotion-dictated smooth finger work from the whole band, especially guitars. COB have certain songs that either lack this groove or just lack the finest edge of feeling that's key in creating the actual "punch". Like Roope said, minor tweaks in playing the notes make MASSIVE difference to the atmosphere, given the original idea is epic.

It might have a lot to do with the speed, which changes the nature of the music - this is why having interesting rhythm guitars is ESSENTIAL for creating a feeling to COB songs, why they should rather compose interesting simple rhythms in my opinion (where they improved with the new album). When you listen to Angels Don't Kill, they're totally riding that demon.

Songs that lack live momentum are Needled, Hate Me, Transference, Follow the Reaper. That bubblegum keyboard sound for that Needled melody needs to go, as it's already a party song that does not tolerate this, it makes it sound less serious. Maybe try playing Follow the Reaper a touch slower and include only blue lights. Choirs for Hate Me. Transference is lacking that intro, and it should be replaced with All Twisted for that chorus, with purple lights. Dead Man's Hand should go with green lights. One more idea I have is try Bodom Blue Moon with the moon on the background and include rapidly flashing white and blue lights (white during the intro, dark blue during the main riff sections - clearly those sections symbolize a bright moon versus a dark night sky - maybe pyros when the last pre-chorus vocals start after the orchestral hits.)

Transference
Sixpounder
Halo of Blood
Scream for Silence
Bodom After Midnight
Lake Bodom
Hate Crew Deathroll
Shovel Knockout
Dead Man’s Hand on You
Are You Dead Yet?
Blooddrunk
Everytime I Die
Towards Dead End
Hate Me!
Downfall
In Your Face

You have GOT to be kidding ! That is teh killerest set list ever !! O m g !!

Transference
Sixpounder
Halo of Blood
Scream for Silence
Bodom After Midnight
Lake Bodom
Hate Crew Deathroll
Shovel Knockout
Dead Man’s Hand on You
Are You Dead Yet?
Blooddrunk
Everytime I Die
Towards Dead End
Hate Me!
Downfall
In Your Face

I hope they keep this set for Tilburg, the Netherlands! Just Killer. "Towards Dead End" is my dreamy music live. :oops:

BTW, anyone here is going to catch them on The Netherlands (20th) or Germany/Stuttgart (21th) Let me know! ;-)

I hope they keep this set for Tilburg, the Netherlands! Just Killer. "Towards Dead End" is my dreamy music live. :oops:

BTW, anyone here is going to catch them on The Netherlands (20th) or Germany/Stuttgart (21th) Let me know! ;-)
Transference
Needled 24/7
Living Dead Beat
Halo of Blood
Scream for Silence
Bodom After Midnight
Lake Bodom
Hate Crew Deathroll
Shovel Knockout
Dead Man's Hand on You
Are You Dead Yet?
Blooddrunk
Angels Don't Kill
Towards Dead End
Hate me
Downfall
Encore:
In Your Face

Was yesterday's.

Copenhagen gig was great !! Perfect setlist imo, they played Kissing the Shadows !! YES !! Was SO great seeing the guys again ! Felt like meeting old friends u havent seen in ages. Venue was a smallish club for max 1000 people, and wasnt sold out - guessing we were around 800 there. Arghh my mate had a grip with one hand on one of Jaskas sticks, but another guy had two hands on it and ripped it away lol DAAAMN !! Was up at the front on the left hand side, a bit left to Henkka/Roope so had a pretty good view downside the stage. Sound wasnt that good there and think it might have been better in the middle or further back.

Oh and they DIDNT have the white Halo of Blood t-shirt as tour shirt !! Only whit was a sleeveless girly. GRRR ! Instead they had two different cool blacks, so got them instead.

Medeia and Insomnium were good too. Insomnium the best of the two though.

:headbang:

So it is a surprise what variation of the setlist they play. That is pretty cool, better than knowing everything for certain already. Even though you could consider not checking out the setlist, but that is asking for quite a lot.

lol yeah even Alexi fckd it up when announcing one of the songs ! Was starting to announce "Bodom.....oh noo I fckd it up didnt I" Cant remember which one it was instead lol was fun. Think they had a great time in CpH. They seemed relaxed n up for it n enjoying themselves. He even did the guitar swing which went pretty well lol.

edit

Checked my vids and yeah they did

Halo of Blood
Scream for Silence
(Bodom After Midnight)
Kissing the Shadows

...and when annoncing BAM he went oh no fckd it up ! blahblahblah kissing the shadooooows !!! Got it on kindabadsoundfrommyiphone vid btw ! Might post it on utube since the song is rare live :)

editedit

Posting the clip on youtube now \m/

aaand here it is :

- where is the utube link button thing ffs?

Last edited by a moderator:
So it is a surprise what variation of the setlist they play. That is pretty cool, better than knowing everything for certain already. Even though you could consider not checking out the setlist, but that is asking for quite a lot.
There seems to be a set-list with 'Silent Night, Bodom Night' in and one without. :)