Hardest and Easiest opeth songs...Guitar-wise..!!!

affinityband said:
Lol@ Guitarists that think they can learn something and play it full speed first time.

You mean people who just started - like - a week ago...?

No, when i used to get lessons a couple of years ago, my guitar teacher had a PHD in music. One of the main things i remember him saying was that, even he had to still learn the 'tough' riffs quite slow to get them in his head to play them perfect.

affinityband said:
No, when i used to get lessons a couple of years ago, my guitar teacher had a PHD in music. One of the main things i remember him saying was that, even he had to still learn the 'tough' riffs quite slow to get them in his head to play them perfect.

Yes, but I figured that out for myself before even starting to play guitar, and I was 6 years old. I'm just suprised at your comment as I never figured there would be guitarists out there with more than a week's experience who actually still go into things trying at full speed... that's just stupid.

metal_wrath said:
How does that explain playing sheet music?

When learning sheet music it is better to learn the notation before going for rythmn, tempo and structure. So speed isnt a problem. I take it you dont read sheet music often?

No, I meant how does that explain people who perform on guitar while reading sheet music, probably very rare but surely they are able to play at full speed on the first try

Well that depends on their ability when it comes to sight reading, and then their ability in general...

daz436 said:
Yes, but I figured that out for myself before even starting to play guitar, and I was 6 years old. I'm just suprised at your comment as I never figured there would be guitarists out there with more than a week's experience who actually still go into things trying at full speed... that's just stupid.

Oh i see whatyou mean now, i thought you meant that you learn things at full speed because you think your good enough to play everything fast first time.

The easiest -for me- is anything off of Damnation. As for songs not on it, Harvest, The Drapery Falls, Blackwater Park, Dirge for November and maybe a few more. Hardest... I don't know, they're not hard for me anymore but they were when I was learning them, Benighted, Godhead's Lament, and... I guess that's it.

metal_wrath said:
How does that explain playing sheet music?

wtf. Just because you can read notes doesn't mean you're going to play somethign perfect the first time you see it. Whether you learn things by ear, tab, or standard notation....practice is going to be involved before there's any real mastering of any song. I don't care who you are.

playing sheet music id agree with, but there are guitarists that sight read metalwrath, and yes they do play things first time pretty much perfect i suspect, although, they do acustom themselves to the notation first and its never usually deathly to play.

well the songs are not that hard (yet - not that easy too ;) )

it gets trickier when you try to sing to what you play though

i don´t know... i´m currently practising on funeral portrait...might be that... but Leper affinity as someone said is IMO very easy, but just sounds difficult. and i agree with valerie, drapery falls is probably the easiest heavy song.