Hardest and Easiest opeth songs...Guitar-wise..!!!

My fav Opeth songs to play on guitar are Deliverance, When, Leper Affinity, Drapery Falls, Blackwater Park, Ghost of Perdition and lots more. The stuff on Still life is heaps crazy so I just learn bits from it like the Benighted solo, Moonlapse vertigo is a bit of fun, and the opening to The Moor. Alot of the guitar riffs on Orchid and Morningrise are fun.

Guys, id like to point out that anyone who can actually play an Opeth song perfectly, and i do mean perfectly, theres actually no point in not saying its hard...Because obviously you aint got it dowwwn you no wha im sayin'

I cannot believe none of you have mentioned face of melinda yet! That song is just plain confusing.

The thing ive found about opeth is there main riffs tend to be piss easy to play but the fills are just stupid hard at times.

I thought Ghost of Perdition was impossible until I realised the tuning.

got a guitar 2 days ago and can play the start of when
so does the start of when count in the easy section

Jamo said:
got a guitar 2 days ago and can play the start of when
so does the start of when count in the easy section

aweosme......!!!!....heck Im so lazy I havent even tried it...hahaha..........ure startin on teh right foot....though Id suggest stick to scales and chords for now......!!!!....ive seen ppl play cool riffsa dn then im like...so yeah play teh A chord now...adn they're like..."i dont knwo the chords name"...!!!....hahaha.............im sure u aint liek that...but yeah...good start...!!!!...........Keep rockin..........PEAC EOUT

waz416c said:
aweosme......!!!!....heck Im so lazy I havent even tried it...hahaha..........ure startin on teh right foot....though Id suggest stick to scales and chords for now......!!!!....ive seen ppl play cool riffsa dn then im like...so yeah play teh A chord now...adn they're like..."i dont knwo the chords name"...!!!....hahaha.............im sure u aint liek that...but yeah...good start...!!!!...........Keep rockin..........PEAC EOUT
lol

Well for me
Harvest (the first song i learned) I thought all and all was easy.
Honestly I haven't encountered too many riffs i can't play yet (without practice that is) some of the solos are what get me. I always thought Face of Melinda was hard to play "perfect" though, lots of finger picking, lots of notes.

I can play Blackwater park, Deliverance and The drapery falls. none of them are very hard. i knew some of the mellow opeth songs, but i've forgotten them.

you people that know white cluster should record it and put it up for us to hear!

I can play a few bits and pieces, the only reason i find it hard is that i dont practice enough. Simple as that. I also learn stuff that i think i will find the most enjoyment out of playing. I dont have the time in my life to sit there for hours and hours learning, practicing....its not like i want to be a rock star one day.

So i can play parts of:

face of melinda, intro and verse (i love learning parts incorporating finger picking)
BWP, intro verse and mid section
deliverance, intro, verse and mid section
leper affinity, intro only
demon of the fall, intro

so i guess what im saying is that, If i can play these, then they must be fucking really easy....as im a really poor guitarist.

eheh

Honestly, to get any of it to soudn GOOD is really difficult. There are parts in leper affinity you really have to nail to get it to sound right, theres a lot of technique in there and hitting notes solidly. For my money one of the hardest ones (of the heavy material) is The Moor.. Took me a very long time to play that one and im sure im still not doing it right. you have to be kind of a perfectionist with guitar otherwise you just sound like.. you suck? i dunno.

Moobaa said:
Honestly, to get any of it to soudn GOOD is really difficult. There are parts in leper affinity you really have to nail to get it to sound right, theres a lot of technique in there and hitting notes solidly. For my money one of the hardest ones (of the heavy material) is The Moor.. Took me a very long time to play that one and im sure im still not doing it right. you have to be kind of a perfectionist with guitar otherwise you just sound like.. you suck? i dunno.

Pretty much true. Sometimes, when you take a look at people uploading video's of themselves playing songs, thinking they can play them... you just don't know if you should laugh or cry. There's more to playing an instrument than hitting the right notes at the right time. Much more.

Arjen W. said:
Pretty much true. Sometimes, when you take a look at people uploading video's of themselves playing songs, thinking they can play them... you just don't know if you should laugh or cry. There's more to playing an instrument than hitting the right notes at the right time. Much more.

Definitely. I can play Leper Affinity without really thinking about it at all... That is until I want to really get the solo sounding good, or if I wanna sing with the acoustic part (lost are days of sprng...) damn! My timing screws right up every time if I'm trying to sing too. Mikael, you are one coordinated guy.