Haul and reviews

Blitzkrieg

Master Exploder
Here is my latest haul, and what I think of them, made up of a few different purchases:

Iced Earth - The Glorious Burden

I am just finishing my first full listen to this now. On first impressions, it is actually much better than I had expected. Having such low expectations was great, because it is a solid album, and I like it alot more than I thought I would. In fact, it probably isn't even IE's worst album (though I am not sure what is :lol: ). All the talk of cheese had me worried, but it isn't all that cheesey*. Sure some lyrics are here and though, but just listening to it, it doesn't come across as cheesey at all*. Apart from the mediocre 'Hollow Man', there really isn't even that much bad stuff on there. It goes from solid, to excellent, to average, to solid, to fucking incredible. The national anthem is a good opener to the album which leads into the second track perfectly (as I predicted, much the same as Grave Digger's "Tunes Of War" album. I wonder if Jon is a fan of theirs :lol: ), and for what it is, Declaration Day isn't a bad song, and serves as a good opener. * . Next is The Reckoning, which I quite liked when I heard it on mp3, but on the album it is heaps better! It picks up the pace of the album well, and Ripper's vocals are in top form. If the melodic chorus was simply used as an intro and an outro, and something different was used, this song would be a 10 out of 10. As is I would give it an 8. Greenface is a good rocker, and is not near as bad as Spawn leads us to believe. Not much going on there, bar Ripper's ball wrenching snarl, which rocks. Attila is next, and what a track. It needs more of a listen, but I can tell that I will really like this one the more I get into it. I hadn't heard any of Red Baron before now, but people kept saying it was very fast and cool, and that is what it is. Again, I really dig the vocals, and they carry the song. Another above par rocker. Hollow Man is as I said earlier, mediocre, and the worst song on the album*, but that said, I actually enjoyed it more than I though I would after hearing the samples. It isn't really a bad track, but after hearing Iced Earth's other HUGE ballads like Melancholy, it really goes no where. Valley Forge and Waterloo I haven't gotten into that much, they just pass me by, but I did enjoy both, I just can't really remember them yet. They need more of a listen, but from first impressions they were not bellow par at all, and quite decent tracks.
Now, onto the second disc, Gettysburg. I must say, I was surprised as hell when I first listened to this trilogy. Not only does it prove that Schaffer has not lost the plot, but IT IS FUCKING INCREDIBLE! Amazing, it just fucking blew me away. So good in fact, that it makes the rest of the album appear to be of lesser quality because of its greatness. You can really tell that Jon put so much damn effort into the trilogy, and neglected the rest of the album a bit because of it. If he gave everything he did that much attention, IE would be the best band in the world. I just can't get my head around the fact that he has come up with something so epic and awesome that it contests Dante's Inferno, and that is saying alot IMO. Damn I can't wait to get my hands on the DVD, that will rock. Ripper does an excellent job on this album, much better than I expected, and he fits in better than I expected as well. I can't help but think that even Matt wouldn't have done as good a job.
If Jon puts as much effort into the Something Wicked album as he did with Gettysburg, it will be one hell of a concept album.

*When The Eagle Cries is a big stinking pile of shit, and is the only bad song on the album. I would go as far as to say that it is probably the worst song IE have done, from the top of my head. Complete tosh.

Judas Priest - Defenders Of The Faith

Slowly building my Priest remasters collection, DOTF was the next on my list. This is one solid album of awesome Priest, to the core. I was surprised at the lack of filler, as there pretty much isn't any. The only problem with this album, though, is that I have heard better versions of particular songs, and it takes away from them. For example, Halford's version of Jawbreaker on LI is HUGE, and Fozzy's cover of Freewheel Burning tops the original. Other than that, though, it is a great album.

Judas Priest - Painkiller

I lied, Painkiller was actually the next on my JP remasters list, but nowhere fucking has it. Nowhere. I have looked for about 6 months, and today, I was sick of it, so I bought it from chaosmusic.com. The same price as it would have been at JB, with $3 for post, and easy payment by Bpay, so that was nice. I should have it by the end of the week. From what I have heard of this album it will possibly even make my top ten of all time list, but I will have to wait and hear the other stuff before I can make statements like that, but really, you can't go wrong with a remastered version of an album that features one of the best metal songs of all time, PAINKILLERRRR!!!!!! :headbang:

LORD - A Personal Journey

I ordered this one from LT, and should have it early this week. I look forward to it!

Accept - some greatest hits that I can't remember the title of, on 2 discs

I needed some Accept in my collection, I have been enjoying their songs for long enough now that I should probably pay for them, even though it was second hand, so it wasn't like I was paying the band for their efforts or anything. Anyway, 2 discs with some A-grade classic metal on them, you can't go wrong.

Dream Theater - Train Of Thought

I was expecting that if JB even had this, that it would be at a crazy import price, but low and behold, I was wrong. $26. I was rather happy indeed. I am halfway through listening to it for the first time now, but me likey, alot. This is the kind of album I always wished DT would make, a little more stripped back from their other stuff, but still proggy, and heavy as all hell. What a great sound too, having the bass higher in the mix really makes it thumping and gives it that extra oomph they have always needed. I think I will really like this one, but it too needs more attention, I haven't even finished the first listen!

:headbang:

Could you possibly make a longer Iced Earth review!? :)
Quite glad you enjoy the Priest albums, since, as you well know, Priest is one of my favorite bands.
And now i need to pick the new Dream Theater. :)

Nice haul, my friend.

Woah there Blitzy, lets not get silly and say Gettysburg is as good as Dantes, it certainly is good, but come ON man :) Dantes has more great riffs in 16 minutes than Gettysburg has in 32 :)

Gettysburg does rule though, I LOVE the drum intro/guitars/orchestra that start the last track, it sounds amazing, talk about atmosphere! :headbang:

No no, I didn't say it was better than Dante's, I said it is the first thing they have done since then to challenge for their best epic. I just can't believe how good it is. Schaffer can really create some awesome shit when he tries.

Reading the linear notes, it would seem that he was under alot of pressure to write Gettysburg, so maybe he thrives under pressure and stress or something. We all know he was stressed when he wrote Burnt Offerings, and look how that turned out. :headbang:

Yeah he has said that in past interviews, whenever he is under the most stress is when the best stuff comes out, must be why his hairs going grey i think :)

The orchestra sounds awesome too dont you think? And the album definitely has a big Demons And Wizards influence!

Blitzkrieg said:
I know, we will kidnap his family, and the ransom can be some more kick arse music. That ought to put some stress on him. :lol:
:lol:

Or we can all put five dollars in and buy the record company and screw him around for a while :)

Fozzy's cover of Freewheel Burning is ok I think but doesn't come CLOSE to the original, but Mongoose can't sing anywhere near as well as Halford with that awesome character!

I heard the new Iced Earth last night. My opinion is that its better than Horror Show but not better than their old stuff. Its WAY too patriotic and cheesy, the Star Spangled Banner intro is gonna be the most skipped track in metal history coz its gay, and I think the songwriting is mostly below average for Iced Earth. However, the real savior of the album is Ripper who sounds AWESOME and makes it well worth listening to just for his voice. Its a shame he didn't sing that well on his Priest albums, they could've been alot better!

I agree that it is a bit patriotic, When The Eagle Cries is just horrible, but overall it isn't as bad as I expected, so its fine. I don't think it is that cheesey at all really (again, When The Eagle Cries is cheesey as all fuck and is horrible, but other than that). I agree about Ripper though, he has put in one hell of a performance. I was afraid I would just listen to the album and think 'it would be better with Matt', but Ripper does so well and puts in his own take on things, that I don't think Matt could do any better.

As for Fozzy's cover of Freewheel Burning, I think it is awesome and one of their best covers. Both versions rock though.

I much prefer Ripper than Barlow! I like him better as a vocalist but didn't know if he'd suit Iced Earth well or not, but fuck me he sure did!

Overall, when they are both at their best singing their best stuff, I prefer Barlow, but I can see him not putting in his best performance (much like Horror Show), and Ripper really surprised me with how good he performed. As you said, I was also afraid he just wouldn't 'fit', and would not have the right voice for the job, but he really did an awesome job.

If that is the performance Jon envisioned, I can see why he wanted to work with Ripper so much.

I am listening to Gettysburg now, it says something about a one mile charge over open ground with cannons and guns firing at them, was this General Lee a fucking idiot or something?

I dont want to spoil it, but he gets his ass handed to him.