Headliners Prediction - Gamma Ray and WASP

Gamma Ray and WASP? Glenn has said the following about the headliners:

1- Power metal- Will cement the progpower name.

2. Power/prog- I am exploring a few options here. There will be no controversy though.

Neither band, fits either description.

Zod

Zod, how doesn't Gamma Ray fit the power metal band part perfectly?

My guess is that his comment reflected the fact that Gamma Ray has already headlined Progpower III and Glenn indicated that the Power Metal announcement would "cement the Progpower name".

If G.R. had not played previously, I suspect they would indeed fit that description - but since they have, I agree with Zod if that's what he was basing his opinion on.

Jason

I believe Glenn said that cementing the PP name meant maintaining the same level of integrity that the festival has had in the past, not taking the headliners to a new level. Gamma Ray seem to be one of the more solid big names in power metal that haven't been here for a while.

I believe Glenn said that cementing the PP name meant maintaining the same level of integrity that the festival has had in the past, not taking the headliners to a new level.

Who said anything about taking the headliners to a new level? I indicated that I believe G.R. would fit the "will cement the Progpower name" comment if they hadn't played previously.

Braxil said:
Gamma Ray seem to be one of the more solid big names in power metal that haven't been here for a while.

If you want to look at the "cement..." comment as simply a solid big name power metal band that hasn't played in awhile, then go ahead, I was just trying to offer perspective on what Zod may have meant by his comment. I personally believe the Power Metal headliner will be a big name band that hasn't played before.

Jason

I personally believe the Power Metal headliner will be a big name band that hasn't played before.

Like who? I suppose it could be Helloween, but I don't think there's nearly as much buzz about them nowadays as many other euro-power bands -- especially considering the lukewarm reception of their last few albums. Even though their last album is better than the previous couple, it's not exactly taking the world by storm. Nocturnal Rites? I don't know if they're big enough, but they would be cool to see as a headliner. Labyrinth? They've lost a lot of steam in the power metal world over the span of their last three albums... then again, they could be the power-prog band. Lacuna Coil, perhaps? They play the US all the time, and despite their sales here, I don't see them fitting in well. On the other hand, I think Gamma Ray fits the bill particularly well... they're a big name, they haven't played in a while, and they're releasing what will likely be a highly-acclaimed album. Or, perhaps it's RAGE! :headbang: :lol:

As for the power-prog band... I'm guessing Symphony X. I can't think of any other band that fits as a headliner, with "no controversy". Maybe Nightwish, if they qualify as power-prog (I doubt it), but I don't think they'd fit the "no controversy" clause. :) Maybe they're the power metal band.

I suspect were diving into this a bit too deeply. That said, here was is thought process...

To what Dark One said, I'm not sure how a band that has been here before, would "cement" the ProgPower name. After 8 successful festivals, a Gamma Ray announcement would have no impact on how this festival is perceived. To that end, I read Glenn's comment to mean he will finally land his white whale, Iced Earth.

Zod

I take "cement the ProgPower name" to mean a great deal more than cementing the Power for this particular festival. I'm crossposting my thoughts from the other headliner thread:
What's left is somewhat of a quandary, if in the clue thread he said 2 returning bands. In the IX thread he said one headliner would be a Power band which would "cement" the ProgPower name. That would seem to indicate that it won't be a repeat, because a repeat band wouldn't do anything more to cement the name than they already have.
The other headliner he said would be Prog/Power, which could mean that they're either a Progressive, or a Power, or a Progressive Power band. More to the point he said he was still exploring options for that slot, which would indicate that band for that position has yet to be selected. In that case there's no reason to assume it will eventually be a repeat band.
Add to that both bands have to be big enough that there "will be no controversy."

I still expect Helloween, Iced Earth, Rhapsody, or HammerFall, in either a combination of two, or one plus a return of either Brainstorm or GammaRay.

Hammerfall? Really?

I would guess Hammerfall would go over fairly poorly with this crowd. And I would be surprised if Glenn perceived them as the type of band to "cement" the PP name.

Zod

As the forum crowd tends to be more Prog oriented, how HammerFall would got over here is different than how they'd go over with the crowd in general. True though that it's Glenn's perspective that counts, and in regards to HammerFall I have no idea what he thinks. However, being HammerFall is on par with Edguy they're on my short list.

Hammerfall? Really?

I would guess Hammerfall would go over fairly poorly with this crowd. And I would be surprised if Glenn perceived them as the type of band to "cement" the PP name.

Zod

Zod, I love you like a brother, but I'm going to beat you severely with a nerf football the next time I see you!

I think HAMMERFALL would go over very well with a PP crowd. You don't get much more power metal than HammerFall and after all the second "P" in PP does stand for Power, lest you forget ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

FOLLOW THE SIGN OF THE CRIMSON THUNDER!