Headliners Prediction - Gamma Ray and WASP

And there in lies the problem. Hammerfall has zero crossover appeal to the Prog crowd. And they're at such an extreme end of the Power Metal spectrum, that their cheese factor is too high for even some Power Metal fans.

I can defeat your theory with two words ...

VIRGIN STEELE

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Score one for me! :loco:

Obviously it's all a matter of taste and it's Glenn's fest so he can do what he wants, but I would love to see Hammerfall at least play a 4th tier slot eventually. If they aren't strong enough to headline, they are at the very least strong enough to appear.

But, I was just under the impression that he ONLY invited bands that he was a fan of is all I meant.
From what I've seen, it's a combination of five factors; Glenn's tastes, the feedback he gets from his "inner circle", a band having sponsorship, label affiliation, and how marketable the band is.

As you yourself said, if you could afford to do so, you'd start a Metal festival. Why not a Hip Hop festival? Well, probably because Hip Hop isn't to your tastes. In the end, any festival is going to be subject to the tastes of the promoters.

Zod

And lack of egos and hotel destructive habits (which is related to egos).

<throws angry first at Mago de Oz & Manowar>

Nice list. I'll add "politics" & "online buzz" as well.

Online buzz is a catch 22.
I have been to lots of shows that based on "internet buzz" I had expected to be packed.

Last year, was the first ALEHORN OF POWER festival in Chicago.

The two headliners were Manilla Road and Slough Feg.
Whether you like them or not, you have to admit there is strong Internet Buzz for both those bands.

Let's just say, this show was VERY poorly attended.

Glenn - I know exactly what you mean. This is just a small piece of the pie when it comes to the deciding factors.

I just see a lot of people cry , "Everyone online loves them" when one of their favorite bands get turned down for a fest.

From what I've seen, it's a combination of five factors; Glenn's tastes, the feedback he gets from his "inner circle", a band having sponsorship, label affiliation, and how marketable the band is.

As you yourself said, if you could afford to do so, you'd start a Metal festival. Why not a Hip Hop festival? Well, probably because Hip Hop isn't to your tastes. In the end, any festival is going to be subject to the tastes of the promoters.

Zod

Yes, true man. I wasn't saying it like I'd do it for spite ''cuz he doesn't have the bands I like'. Or anything like that. & yeah you are right I guess. I'd just love to be able to that to help w/the Metal scene in such a way! But, I would be open to some suggestions too; as I am sure Glenn is...?

For example, like you said I'd NEVER EVER do SHIT to promote Rap, as I HATE it (not even music, really)! But, even w/in Metal. I'd never ever so shit to support/promote Death Metal! But, Prog, Power, & even Speed Metal?? HELL YEAH!!! Hell, even great Hard Rock too!

Although, nowadays, it is mostly Prog, Power & Death! Not many new Thrash bands these days. Just the classic ones like SLAYER & OverKill, etc.! :p

Although, nowadays, it is mostly Prog, Power & Death! Not many new Thrash bands these days. Just the classic ones like SLAYER & OverKill, etc.! :p

I don't really follow the thrash scene too much, but it is making a comeback. Off the top of my head, I can think of 3 new bands (Evile, Dekapitator, and Fueled by Fire) who released kickass, 80's style classic thrash. Check out the discs, I don't think you'll be dissapointed.