HEADPHONES!!!!

Krilons Resa

Jerry's married?!
Nov 7, 2002
Inside dorian's gym bag.
I know this has been brought up before but there is no search function here at good 'ol UM, soooo.... I am in the market, once again, for a good pair of headphones. The MOST I will pay is $100, on the extreme end. I want some amazing sound quality; rumbling lows and clear highs. Any savants in the topic have any input???

Moonlapse from the Opeth forum will talk at length about them. Maybe we'll see him around these parts now that the forum is no more. Myself, I went and bought a $20 pair of Sony "studio monitor" (haha!) headphones. They are nearly full-enclosure and sound very nice. With a baby on the way, I think I might get something remote - so's I can roam the house and still listen to death metal. Anyone use these?

is there somewhere you can listen to them? i got mine at the local music supply store. Guitar Center or something like that. they're all the same.

Ifurin said:
Grado SR-80s or Sennheiser HD-280 Pros.

I just came across those Grado SR-80's. They have glowing reviews as well but seem to be very uncomfortable by many. Also, there is this one site, goodcans.com, that seem to be pushing them so damn hard, it's as if they receive endorsements, so I am just a tad skeptical.

The more I read, the more I get confused! o_O

Doomcifer said:
I just came across those Grado SR-80's. They have glowing reviews as well but seem to be very uncomfortable by many. Also, there is this one site, goodcans.com, that seem to be pushing them so damn hard, it's as if they receive endorsements, so I am just a tad skeptical.

The more I read, the more I get confused! o_O

headphone.com is good, and surprisingly impartial considering they sell the things.

Grados seem to be love/hate comfort-wise, so I'd recommend going to a shop and trying them on. The same with any pair of headphones, really.

Those two are considered the best sub-$100 headphones by most, though. I'd lean towards the Sennheisers personally.

dorian gray said:
Moonlapse from the Opeth forum will talk at length about them. Maybe we'll see him around these parts now that the forum is no more. Myself, I went and bought a $20 pair of Sony "studio monitor" (haha!) headphones. They are nearly full-enclosure and sound very nice. With a baby on the way, I think I might get something remote - so's I can roam the house and still listen to death metal. Anyone use these?

Good old MDR-V150s, best cheap headphones EVER. Great frequency response for the price, although the lows are a bit iffy. I swear by them. Then again... I'm one poor motherfucker.

Sennheiser Wireless RS 45

snhrs45.jpg

I'm very happy with those.

snow2fall said:
wireless = good. This way I can listen to music as loud as I like in any place of the apartment (or house even) without upsetting my oh so sensitive neighbours. Never had problems with hissing noise or anything.

No interference? Or is response is effected by the fact that they are wireless? (honest question)

E-bortion said:
No interference? Or is response is effected by the fact that they are wireless? (honest question)
Uh, I doubt I'm able to answer any technical questions in English. Would be difficult even I had a clue what I'm talking about. :D

Instruction manual says:
"The receiver automatically tunes itself to the first strong signal found (normally the transmitter frequency). If, for some reason, the selected channel is not the correct one (eg: because of interference or another nearby system), press the tune button on the earpiece and the auto-tune function will re-tune to the next strong signal."

So interference is possible. Never needed to re-tune more than once though, then I'm fine for the whole night. :headbang:
Only problem: I don't hear the phone anymore. :loco:

I have Sennheiser HD-202s, which are nice, but I'm after the 280 pros come payday.

Ask Derick, he HAS a pair.

I kinda hated my wireless phones, their response wasn't great. Have they improved in 2 years?

snow2fall said:
Uh, I doubt I'm able to answer any technical questions in English. Would be difficult even I had a clue what I'm talking about. :D

Instruction manual says:
"The receiver automatically tunes itself to the first strong signal found (normally the transmitter frequency). If, for some reason, the selected channel is not the correct one (eg: because of interference or another nearby system), press the tune button on the earpiece and the auto-tune function will re-tune to the next strong signal."

So interference is possible. Never needed to re-tune more than once though, then I'm fine for the whole night. :headbang:
Only problem: I don't hear the phone anymore. :loco:

Nice, I might just go pick up a pair.

I have a pair of AKG (K271) headphones and I'm very happy with them, though I seem to have been pretty lucky when I bought them, they're apparently quite pricy atm. But I think you can safely go for any pair of AKG phones, they seem to be quality all the way through.