Heads Up for those driving to Atlanta

It should be fine by Wednesday/Thursday. Tomorrow my goal is to find gas. Its out there, but I'm too impatient to sit in line for it. But I know some places that should be easy.

Yeah I just put $30 in when I found out because I need enough to get to ATL to see Helloween Thursday

I almost got a full tank now so I'm good.....3 days :kickass:

Ugh. Duly noted about the gas issues. How very inconvenient. :(

Ah well. We'll just do like No Username and top off the tank 100 miles out or so. Just how far outside of Atlanta is the gas problem? Anyone know?

Ah well. We'll just do like No Username and top off the tank 100 miles out or so. Just how far outside of Atlanta is the gas problem? Anyone know?

I'll let the locals answer that one, but FYI...Nashville is having major issues as well. Primarily caused by people topping off when they heard there *might* be a gas shortage.

Of course, Nashville is a town where all the residents will flock to the local grocery stores and buy up everything in sight when there is a hint of three snowflakes in the weather forecast. I lived there for 10 years, and that never ceased to amaze me. :lol:

I'm from Nashville, and holy crap things are crazy up here. Anyone know if Chattanooga and the towns between Atlanta and Nashville are having gas shortages? I'd hate to drive all the way down there and be stranded.

I'm surprised stations have been allowed to gouge prices. You'd think someone would step in to prevent the panic that occurs with low supply and high prices. Who'd think I'd see the day Atlanta has higher prices than New York.

And Kim, they do the same thing up here although it's usually restricted to the big storm reports. I don't really watch the news/weather but I can usually tell when there's supposed to be snow whenever the milk at our local Stewarts is cleaned out.

I'll let the locals answer that one, but FYI...Nashville is having major issues as well. Primarily caused by people topping off when they heard there *might* be a gas shortage.

Of course, Nashville is a town where all the residents will flock to the local grocery stores and buy up everything in sight when there is a hint of three snowflakes in the weather forecast. I lived there for 10 years, and that never ceased to amaze me. :lol:

Same thing here. You should have seen me last night when the chick in front of us took more than 10 minutes to get her gas, THEN paid for it, and then I pull up to discover she'd put less than 8 gallons in her Mustang. AAARRRRRGGHH! I was almost on fumes. I almost coulda killed her.

Anyway, it is ridiculous, but I would think it wouldn't be so bad outside of the metro area. However, I have no idea, just a surmise.

Paul, I found that that site listed prices at at least 1 station that no longer had gas by the time I went by it. :/

I can attest to this. 2 snowflakes and no milk or bread in 100 square miles :) Stupid Lemmings. I've lived in Nashville for 10+ years, and in Memphis all my life before that...same exact mentality in Memphis' panic stricken population as well regarding snow.

Anyway, I'm going out to lunch today and try to find some gas. I've avoided the stations for a week, but I've waited as long as I can and am down to less than a quarter of a tank. I hoped to wait out the madness, but it has continued.

We'll be leaving out Friday morning early to head to Atlanta, I sure hope I'm not on pins and needles all the way down the interstate, having to fret over getting stranded empty somewhere with no gas for hundreds of miles, lol.

I'll buy gas up here where I live before travelling southbound. We have gas at all local filling stations, but we are like 75 minutes north of the venue.

I bought gas last week at $4.19 a gallon at a Shell station down the street from where I live, intown, which is now totally out of gas. Went down the street to a QT today, and only two out of about 10 pumps had gas, and the line was waaay long... Didn't feel like waiting. This is intown, 10-15 minutes from the venue. Sooooooo... glad we cab it every year to the venue cause I ain't got no gas! :( At least we won't be needing to drive our cars till after PP, and maybe things will have gotten better by then....

I'm from Nashville, and holy crap things are crazy up here. Anyone know if Chattanooga and the towns between Atlanta and Nashville are having gas shortages? I'd hate to drive all the way down there and be stranded.

Chattanooga is, yes - I filled up several days ago, thankfully.

I'm surprised stations have been allowed to gouge prices. You'd think someone would step in to prevent the panic that occurs with low supply and high prices. Who'd think I'd see the day Atlanta has higher prices than New York.

I don't think they're 'gouging'....if they were, gas here would be closer to $4.50 or $5/gallon. There are three reasons for the spotty shortages here:

1. Colonial Pipeline, which runs from the Gulf Coast up to Atlanta (Doraville), is running at reduced capacity due to Ike

2. Some station owners or operators who buy on the spot market have been reluctant to purchase gas at high wholesale prices, since they could get stuck holding a bunch of overpriced fuel if the price declined (which it was expected to do, and did nearly everywhere else in the country after Ike)

3. People have been filling up more, fearful of getting caught without gas in an area with stations all out of fuel.

There is NO gas available in my town (Auburn). The nearest station with fuel that I saw was at GA Hwy 316 and US 29, which is about ten miles away.

Paul, I found that that site listed prices at at least 1 station that no longer had gas by the time I went by it. :/

Yeah, especially now, you have to pay close attention to the times that prices are posted. BTW, I'm 'Pellaz' on there and try to post updated prices as often as I can. Educated consumers are the best way to combat high prices; we can "vote with our feet." :)

One problem with those GasBuddy sites: there is no provision for reporting that a station's out of gas, aside from putting it in the comments. I've already made some suggestions to 'em on how to fix that. :)