Heathen Crusade III... what's the latest?

They did do it last year. Jason forked over a 1000 shekels in an effort to ensure that there would be a 3rd one. I contributed a handshake and a pat on the back.

If they have a 3rd one someone has to come here and kidnap me and take me there to be absolutely sure I don't miss it this time. Jerry and Mike even tried to convince me to skip work for the weekend, but I was too gay. In retrospect, that job was done like Bush's reputation at the outset of his 2nd term in office :erk:

I think it's a shame that promoters are taking such hits on good shows. Some of it is apathy on the part of the fanbase, some of it is the ridiculous riders some of these bands come up with. Unsigned/unknown bands are asking for $500 and a room for driving to a show four hours away. What the living hell is that?! Things have changed a great deal over the past decade...and I just stated the obvious. Kick ass.

I think it's a shame that promoters are taking such hits on good shows. Some of it is apathy on the part of the fanbase, some of it is the ridiculous riders some of these bands come up with. Unsigned/unknown bands are asking for $500 and a room for driving to a show four hours away. What the living hell is that?! Things have changed a great deal over the past decade...and I just stated the obvious. Kick ass.

they are paying the non headliners 500?
Pretty dumb if you ask me.

I thought they built a nice head of steam with the first festival. I was surprised that they chose to implement drastic changes in year two; a lack of established acts and moving to a two day event. Hopefully, they forge on.

Zod

My old mans band used to play for beer. Just give em free beer at the bar they were playing, and they were happy.

Bands need to be content with beer these days.

I think the opening bands just need to be content with playing at an event as credible and significant as HC. Yeah, it's no fucking Ozzfest (and for damn good reason), but anyone I've ever talked to about HC has said that they've been the best shows they have ever been to. And you can't find the kind of camaraderie and closeness that you find at HC anywhere else in the country today.

Save for Progpower, Q4MFT

Hi everyone. Just thought I would chime in here real quick and give a quick update.

We are in the process of figuring out if we can do another Heathen Crusade. Yes, I lost a lot of money on the first 2 fests. More on the second one than the first one.

For the first two Fests the buck stopped with me. I was the one responsible for making up any loss. Me alone. I went into both fests knowing that. And if I had only lost a few thousand on each show I would not have cared. But the losses far exceeded that and I cannot afford to do it myself again. To give you an idea, ticket sales for HC2 did not even cover the cost of the flights for the bands that we bought flights for. Much less any other expenses (hotel, visas, shirts, crew, etc...).

We are trying to find investors/sponsors, getting record labels to help, but it is not as easy as it sounds. It took Glenn awhile before he got his system working the way it does. So it reasons that it'll be the same with us, maybe even longer. Hopefully we will know in the next few weeks if we can do it again.

A point of clarification regarding a previous post, we did not pay any "unsigned/unknown" bands $500 (that I remember anyway). Don't know where that came from. Bands such as those paid their own way to the fest and their payment was being on the lineup. They were cool with that and we appreciated it. But we did cover some costs for the "non-headliner" bands, bands like Slough Feg, Mael Mordha, Novembers Doom, The Chasm, etc. There is a big gap between "headliner" and "unsigned/unknown" bands. Just because you are not "headliner" status does not mean you should not get paid something, in my opinion anyway. You will not get everything paid for, but you might get something. It is a case by case basis.

I won't go into too much detail of what we paid for who, but as an example, in the case of HC2, of the 8 foreign bands we had, 4 of them paid for their own flights over. We put them up in a hotel and fed them and gave them drink, but that was it. My philosophy is if a band is willing to pay several thousand dollars to fly to my fest from another country, the least I can do is put them up in a hotel and feed them.

As far as the changes from HC1 to HC2. We wanted to get some bigger names for HC2, but unfortunately it never worked out. Mainly due to other commitments by band members. Hell I even met with band members in Norway and Germany while I was traveling to talk with them about playing the Fest. The other stumbling block was the cost of flying some bands over. We had to put a limit on it somewhere. Cost varies from country to country. For instance, a flight from Sweden might cost $700 while a flight from Finland can cost $950. Multiply that by 5, 6, 7, 8, 10 band members/crew and it makes quite a difference when deciding where to spend money.

So that is where we stand. We are looking for investors/sponsors. We are talking with some bands/record labels. At this point I cannot say for sure if it will happen or not. I hope you understand.

damn dude, that really sucks.
Hopefully you can find some really good sponsors.
Anybody remember what tickets were lastyear?

Yeah, we are trying so maybe something will work out.

Even after using so much of my money to do the 2 fests I do not regret it one bit. They were great fests and I had the time of my life.

Tickets for last year were:

Friday: $20 in advance / $25 at the door
Saturday: $35 in advance / $40 at the door
Two day Ticket: $55 in advance / $60 at the door

And so I guess I should say that if any of you want to be a sponsor for a HC3, please contact us.

info at heathencrusade.com

Thanks!