hebrew tattoo

Turthalion

New Metal Member
Oct 18, 2004
Minnesota, USA
I am considering getting a tattoo in Hebrew. Specifically, I want to get the Shma, due to its significance. I thought maybe using a Rabbinic script would make it look pretty cool as well. I love the Hebrew language, and I have spent the last year studying Biblical Hebrew, and in my class we would sing the Shma together every now and then.

However, I am wondering if this tattoo would be offensive to Jewish people? I just want to make sure before I set my heart on this tattoo. I think I have heard in the past that it could be a sensitive issue. thanks.

most exiting hebrew tatt I ever seen was the word "mother" (wait!) written with a biblical hebrew font, on an arab girl's arm in haifa.

I wish I could find that girl and as her what its about (further then her nother).
I was exited..

One day I have seen a guy with whole arms, hands and upper body except the face (didn't see legs...) tattoed with small hebrew letters. I must say I am not usually impressed by big tattoes, but this one was really special...

I couldn't get the meaning cause the guy was walking fast :tickled: , and at this time I didn't know much hebrew...

The jewish religion is not "keen" on tattoos general, and some orthodox jews forbid tattoos explicitely (the belief is that you desecrate the body, which is supposed to continue with you to the next world).

With that said,- one's belief lies closest to himself.
I agree with Kobi,- personally I'd say you have to follow your heart.

Do you know the meaning of the "shma" call? It is a call from the jewish people to god to listen to them and to protect them. I think that this call is not universal, as in any man calls to god, but as in jewish people calling him to protect them only. it is translated "listnen to the people of Israel, our lord god, our lord is one". Don't get me wrong, it's not that I'm implying that someone who is not a jew shouldn't have this, on the contrary, I'm coming from a more open minded point of view. But hey, it's your body.

Orphaned Matti said:
Do you know the meaning of the "shma" call? It is a call from the jewish people to god to listen to them and to protect them. I think that this call is not universal, as in any man calls to god, but as in jewish people calling him to protect them only. it is translated "listnen to the people of Israel, our lord god, our lord is one". Don't get me wrong, it's not that I'm implying that someone who is not a jew shouldn't have this, on the contrary, I'm coming from a more open minded point of view. But hey, it's your body.

Wrong !!
What you claim now is a common misinterpretation of this prayer !

the translation is "hear o` israel, our lord god, our lord is one" and its like a daily reminder of you`re essence as a monotheist (and not just a monotheist, a descendant of the first monotheist nation - therefore its like carring a graver responsibility for preserving this fate..).
Its also an interresting way to both pray in solitude to god, but- you do it as if you`re representing the whole nation.

well i met this guy on the beach last weekend ,his tattoo translation was yehvi as far i understood , any meaning for that ? can u send the hebrew writting for [shma] (is it only the shein and m words :confused: )

am willin to make a tattoo and the [shma] seams intrsting ,
it doesnt need a muscled body :loco:

Yeah, I thought the Shma was a call to Israel...

I don't want this to turn into a debate, but I thought the Shma would be good. I am a devout Christian, and already have a tattoo in Greek, and I wanted one in Hebrew as well, and I wanted something that really defined Judaism, so something that would truly be significant not just at a personal level, but at the linguistic/cultural level as well.

My other thought was to do the prayer from Numbers, "The Lord bless you and keep you," etc, because that has been found on some really ancient artifacts.

Once i've seen a girl from Finland who had a hebrew Tatoo......she wasn't jewish.....
and I was very excited to see it.....

I think it is really exotic.....
for the same reason I have a neckles with the chinese word for the horse year (the year I was born).....it is really beautiful in my opinion.....

when I was younger I thought about a tatoo of words in hebrew, arabic and latin......but till now I just couldn't find something which has special meaning and fits my point of view.......

Yossi_Orphaned_Land said:
The jewish religion is not "keen" on tattoos general, and some orthodox jews forbid tattoos explicitely (the belief is that you desecrate the body, which is supposed to continue with you to the next world).
I was just reading an interview with the singer of Betzefer in a German metal mag. He explains an orthodox jewish tradition that all tattoos must be cut out before a dead body is being buried?

sister ophelia said:
I was just reading an interview with the singer of Betzefer in a German metal mag. He explains an orthodox jewish tradition that all tattoos must be cut out before a dead body is being buried?

yes.....thats true..... :Smug:
though I belive the dead doesn't feel a thing......
:D

I think that this it not concerning to people who are getting buried in a Kibutz

in my opinion....this religious law will be changes sometime in the future....cause today more and more people are getting tatto's......as well as religious ones......
you know.....even religious laws can be changed.....
such things always made me think...... :err:

Yossi_Orphaned_Land said:
Not sure if it matters to you too much after you're dead :)
True - but: just spare a thought for the poor guy at the pathology department who has to do the bloody job... :ill:

About the "cutting the tattoo off the body" thing: They won't burry you inside the cemetary if you don't approve cutting your tattoos, and they will burry you outside the gates where they burry people who have comitted suicides. They don't "cut off" the tattoos. Actually, they take a hot Iron and just erase all memory of the thing. It's such a sad thing that we still have to put up with shit like this here. Sorry if I'm offending anyone, this is just my opinion.

About the "shma" thing, well, I told you what I think and I am still behind it 100%. It represent the people of Israel very strongly. My opinion is that something more global would serve a better intrest. What about the word "love" in hebrew letters? אהבה

oh and, btw, the prayer is not a call TO Israel, it is a call to god, to listen to the people of Israel. The common misinterpretation is the other way around and I'm sure of it.