Help convince me to go Mac...

oh yeah, that's certainly why i use them ..... i don't care about things like reliability, service life, workflow, or any other professional concern.... no no, you're exactly right.. guys like me and Andy and nearly every other professional engineer i know use Mac because it makes us feel cool. you called it d00d. everyone knows pros value "trendiness" more than anything else... which is why the tv commercials work on us.. because we have so much time to watch tv and stay on top of what's trendy.

check me out... i've been trendy since '94 then. wow... i've been "cool" for over 14 years.... no wonder i get hired so much lately... clients must be finally realizing this.

:lol:

OKAY OKAY! I was joking, that's why I put a smiley at the end of the post.

I got 4 macs, including a beige G3 power mac they ALL work with no issues, just a bit slow for these days' speeds. I wouldn't use anything else.

Maybe I should stop posting non-sense, but on the sense side, yes, they're great, reliable, the interface kicks arse and what I like the most is the actual quality of the hardware... I have never seen a PC that is built to such high standard in terms of design and components.

OKAY OKAY! I was joking, that's why I put a smiley at the end of the post.

I got 4 macs, including a beige G3 power mac they ALL work with no issues, just a bit slow for these days' speeds. I wouldn't use anything else.

Maybe I should stop posting non-sense, but on the sense side, yes, they're great, reliable, the interface kicks arse and what I like the most is the actual quality of the hardware... I have never seen a PC that is built to such high standard in terms of design and components.

Someone is going to argue the build it your self rout.:lol:

Dude, why would anyone get Logic Express instead of Logic Pro? Ok, express is a little less in price, but the pro version is still cheap and comes with SD and a plethora of other good usuable plugins. :p

How much is Logic Pro? All I can find is Logic Studio for $500, compared with $200 for Express - this is not a small difference :ill:

And I think it's totally fallacious to suggest that Macs are more reliable than ANY PC's (which was the implication) - obviously because so many companies can build PC's, some are gonna be built poorly, others indestructibly, so I vote leaving that one out of the equation

even if they do, to build one the same quality they'll spend similar money.... and they slight bit the do save is wasted in their time... time during which Gomez and I shall be mixing, mastering.... earning money to pay for our "fashionable" macs,... :lol:

I think it's totally fallacious to suggest that Macs are more reliable than ANY PC's (which was the implication) - obviously because so many companies can build PC's, some are gonna be built poorly, others indestructibly, so I vote leaving that one out of the equation
no it's not, (indeed it was), yes there is, yes just as most are, only for about the same money as a mac pro, no let's not.

;)

James is right.

Also, I very much enjoy the guilty pleasure of occasionally browsing the net in the suite's workhorse without the worry of picking up worms, viruses, STD's and everything else that you on PC's. Don't want them, no, no, no thanks.

I must add that I only have to buy a "workhorse" mac around every 5, 6 years... and the old ones still run... Financially, a no-brainer for me.

Also good for the environment :)

I very much enjoy the guilty pleasure of occasionally browsing the net in the suite's workhorse without the worry of picking up worms, viruses, STD's and everything else that you on PC's. Don't want them, no, no, no thanks.

I must add that I only have to buy a "workhorse" mac around every 5, 6 years... and the old ones still run... Financially, a no-brainer for me.
Bingo!

Well it's all about what perspective you're coming from - as far as desktops go, one can easily build a reliable and stable one for half the price of a Mac Pro, but with laptops I agree that generally the prices are about the same for quality. However, as I mentioned earlier, for someone in my position (college student) the plethora of free/cheap software for PC's always edges them out for me, but obviously for pro's that's not an issue.

But see Marcus, I'm not makin' the bucks either...what happened to me is I realized after working in a professional studio for the first time and seeing how much of a difference it made using Macs. I had zero doubts after that. I bought a PowerBook and loved it. Bought a G5, love it. It may suck to have only shareware options, but god DAMN if the ease of use, stability, etc. don't outweigh that aspect multiple times over. I don't even know what spyware programs are any more I'm so out of the loop on that shit since converting completely over. I love plugging a device in and it just. fucking. works. No issues, don't have to install shit. Just plug it in. Done. Fucking christ I cannot express how much that has made life easier. No worrying about changing some fucking stupid settings so everything runs smoother, or making sure something is turned off, or making sure I have the right service pack or some bullshit...it just works. My friend tries to tell me he doesn't like Macs because he can't go in and change all the crazy settings on the system. I shut his ass down by simply saying "I don't think you understand...you don't need to do that on a Mac." And it's true. Also, you CAN change those settings, for the record. But again, you don't ever need to.

Ugh...and I told myself I wouldn't get into one of these again...haha. And really, I'm not trying to swing you the other way, just saying my piece. Everybody is going to think how they think, and use what they want. I'm not into converting people. In fact I absolutely do not want Macs to gain any more market share. The more market they take up, the worse it gets for us Mac users. Think about it ;)

~006

Well it's all about what perspective you're coming from - as far as desktops go, one can easily build a reliable and stable one for half the price of a Mac Pro, but with laptops I agree that generally the prices are about the same for quality. However, as I mentioned earlier, for someone in my position (college student) the plethora of free/cheap software for PC's always edges them out for me, but obviously for pro's that's not an issue.

That's cool man and surely you can do great things with it. But when the mac is paying for your roof and buying your food, the last thing you want is you computer to go down and mine have literally never let me down. Actually that's bullcrap... one of my powerbooks (titanium) one day exploded... it did! I pushed the power button and it sparked and smoked. Then Apple took awhile to get back to me. I sent them a letter. Then I receive a brand new powerbook a couple of days later on my door...

But see Marcus, I'm not makin' the bucks either...what happened to me is I realized after working in a professional studio for the first time and seeing how much of a difference it made using Macs. I had zero doubts after that. I bought a PowerBook and loved it. Bought a G5, love it. It may suck to have only shareware options, but god DAMN if the ease of use, stability, etc. don't outweigh that aspect multiple times over. I don't even know what spyware programs are any more I'm so out of the loop on that shit since converting completely over. I love plugging a device in and it just. fucking. works. No issues, don't have to install shit. Just plug it in. Done. Fucking christ I cannot express how much that has made life easier. No worrying about changing some fucking stupid settings so everything runs smoother, or making sure something is turned off, or making sure I have the right service pack or some bullshit...it just works. My friend tries to tell me he doesn't like Macs because he can't go in and change all the crazy settings on the system. I shut his ass down by simply saying "I don't think you understand...you don't need to do that on a Mac." And it's true. Also, you CAN change those settings, for the record. But again, you don't ever need to.

Ugh...and I told myself I wouldn't get into one of these again...haha.

~006

I hear ya dude, but I've gotten quite good at keeping my PC's running smoothly, and after the years of installing drivers on Windows 98 PC's, it's a cakewalk for me on XP :lol: And not only shareware, but awesome cheap plugins by small-time dudes are what really do it for me (I mentioned some software examples on the first page)

That's cool man and surely you can do great things with it. But when the mac is paying for your roof and buying your food, the last thing you want is you computer to go down and mine have literally never let me down. Actually that's bullcrap... one of my powerbooks (titanium) one day exploded... it did! I pushed the power button and it sparked and smoked. Then Apple took awhile to get back to me. I sent them a letter. Then I receive a brand new powerbook a couple of days later on my door...

Yeah, I conceded on the first page that the OS was better and more stable, and as for the hardware, well, at least you KNOW a Mac is gonna last (though that's pretty wild about your powerbook! :ill: it happens, I suppose) - basically, my view has always been that Macs are great if you can afford 'em! (including all the accompanying software)

And that's totally cool. If it works for you, right on.

This thread could go on for 10 pages going back and forth though. If you are just going to goof around with recording, or want to surf the net (at your own risk ;)) and play games, a PC does the job. I've never said anything to the contrary of that. I just think if somebody wants to get serious with audio, one of the biggest steps is getting a Mac.

~006

James is right.

Also, I very much enjoy the guilty pleasure of occasionally browsing the net in the suite's workhorse without the worry of picking up worms, viruses, STD's and everything else that you on PC's. Don't want them, no, no, no thanks.

Also good for the environment :)

Yes sir, all mac's online 24/7 for years and years without any STD's. :lol: No need to use a condom (anti-virus) either. :lol:

it's pretty simple, macs are less headaches. less stuff to install, less stuff to do, less buttons, less pops ups, no viruses. everything is less.

less is more. budget aside, for any pro application you have to be crazy to get a pc nowadays. the OS stability alone is worth it. i had pcs for all my life and never was there even a 3 month period where there wasn't a problem somewhere. i've had my mac book pro (and soon mac pro) for almost 2 years now without a single hitch except i loaded in a bad cd in my superdrive and it got a bit screwy but they replaced it. it never even froze, restarted, not even one hiccup. i could count on one hand how many pop ups i've gotten, it makes no noise, it's just a perfect machine. it gets so much use, it's on all day at the studio, i've tracked, mixed, countless hours of music, full lengths, demos, eps, etc. etc. and i still use it for personal use and surfing the web and doing all the fun stuff. 0 problems. zero.

it's not hype folks, it's fact. sorry. pcs and windows are vastly inferior. and like james said sure you could hot rod a pc and spend countless hours getting all types of upgrades but you could just save yourself the time and do something more productive with the time and get a mac. hot rodding pcs are like buying 1992 civic hatchbacks and spending $50,000 to put in twin turbo kits, aftermarket suspension kits, shocks, struts, intercoolers, intakes, etc. etc....

but at the end of the day you still have a civic.

instead of that you could just get a 911 carrera and get a real car right out of the box.