help wanted in making Diezel v30 cabinet impulses (ignorant)

noarin

Producer / Engineer
Apr 16, 2006
hey guys, i have some tracks in which I recorded a DI signal, a pre-amp out signal and a 57 signal.

chain is Ibanez Iceman -> 6505 -> diezel v30 4x12
and another Ibanez Iceman -> Soldano Hot Rod -> diezel v30 4x12.

Is it possible to make an impulse of this?

The sound is pretty good so I can share the impulses if you can guide me through how to make them! a link to another tread that explains it is alright as well.

thanks, and sorry for the utter n00bness.

Rob

awesome :)

I've sent a PM to WildHades with the files, I hope they are any good.

Cheers, and thanks!
- Rob

no worries :kickass: I hope you like them ;)

I am very fond of the Diezel cabinets; very light in weight, very clear and defined sounding and still very fat as well!

let's hope so!
I cranked the hell out of the amps when I was recording them :)

let's hope so!
I cranked the hell out of the amps when I was recording them :)
Let me tell you that this is not always a good idea, cause at high volumes, the room/amp/speaker could generate strange (sometimes unwanted) effects frequency-wise...

Ok, I'm at work with nothing to do, so I've been able to extract the impulses:
http://www.filefreak.com/pfiles/42577/Impulses/Noarin Diezel V30 SM57.rar

I can't test them now (bringing my guitar at work could be a bit too much, you know...), but comparing A/B the real tracks and the impulse processed ones, they're 99% identical, so they should be fine.
I didn't cut the tail btw, but you should not experience CPU problems...
I'll re-check them once at home to see if there is anything strange...

If the link doesn't work, let me know.

Cheers

EDIT: link updated with the new ones without echo problem

I've checked them as well and they indeed sound 99% identical. Thanks for the tip on cranking the amp, I will be careful with that!

I hope you guys like it! thanks for making the impulse out of it!

Rob

Nah, thank you for sharing them!
Is someone willing to post a sample while I'm waiting to come back from work?

I'm not the best musician or engineer, but here's my shot at it :p

Revalver III demo Homebrew SE neutral settings + soldano poweramp impulse
www.sanandreas-web.com/diezel/01.mp3

Revalver III demo Peavey 6505 neutral settings + soldano poweramp impulse
www.sanandreas-web.com/diezel/02.mp3

Revalver III demo Peavey 6505 neutral settings + 6505 poweramp impulse
www.sanandreas-web.com/diezel/03.mp3

Revalver III demo JSX neutral settings + 6505 poweramp impulse
www.sanandreas-web.com/diezel/04.mp3

I like the soldano poweramp impulse best, but shave soms highs off of the 6505 poweramp impulse and you can get pretty good results as well
Clips are done with Gibson Les Paul Studio, no post-processing, all settings neutral

what do you guys think? usable?

edit: btw, in Boogex and AFimpulse there is a short echo, I think it has to do with cutting the tail of the impulse wav? (read that somewhere in here).

haven´t heard yet (lunch break @work) but you can cut the tail or for ex use voxengo´s pristine space (or any other) length feature

I'm not the best musician or engineer, but here's my shot at it :p

Revalver III demo Homebrew SE neutral settings + soldano poweramp impulse
www.sanandreas-web.com/diezel/01.mp3

Revalver III demo Peavey 6505 neutral settings + soldano poweramp impulse
www.sanandreas-web.com/diezel/02.mp3

Revalver III demo Peavey 6505 neutral settings + 6505 poweramp impulse
www.sanandreas-web.com/diezel/03.mp3

Revalver III demo JSX neutral settings + 6505 poweramp impulse
www.sanandreas-web.com/diezel/04.mp3

I like the soldano poweramp impulse best, but shave soms highs off of the 6505 poweramp impulse and you can get pretty good results as well
Clips are done with Gibson Les Paul Studio, no post-processing, all settings neutral

what do you guys think? usable?

edit: btw, in Boogex and AFimpulse there is a short echo, I think it has to do with cutting the tail of the impulse wav? (read that somewhere in here).
Wow, so much difference between 02 and 03!
Was the mic-cab position the same between the 6505 and Soldano recordings? If so, it's pretty impressive how much the power amp is important!

Seem usable, can't wait to try them!

I'll check and try to solve the echo problem (is probably the tail, but let me suggest you to not cut it on a casual point, cause this could bring some nasty hi-frequency peaks)

woah, the revalver III valveking amp sim is pretty impressive as well:

www.sanandreas-web.com/diezel/05.mp3
This is double tracked, Valveking amp sim on each side; the 6505poweramp impulse right and the soldano-poweramp impulse left.. raw.

sounds pretty good I think!

I used the exact same mic position when I recorded the files I sent you, I only switched the heads; but the crazy difference might also be because of the amps settings. since you extracted the impulse from a recorded 57 mic. The soldano has different tone settings and a different sound than the 6505, so the 57 picked up a different frequency spectrum with each amp, which matters if you extract the impulse from poweramp+recorded mic signal, if I'm right.

I won´t bother with cutting tails and all that, I leave that up to the people that know what they are doing ;). The peculiar thing is, that the 6505-57 file that I send you to extract had a lot of low frequencies; and when I use the impulse of the 6505-poweramp it has a lot of highs; same goes with the soldano in reverse; the 57 file of the soldano I sent you was always the brigher one; if I use the impulse; it's now darker than the 6505.

Doesn't bother me, because I like to use them, but I just found that peculiar :kickass:

Pretty strange... since I think you're using the fx-send to record the preamp signal, the amp settings, apart from "resonance" and "presence", should make no difference... but it depends on the tonestack position in the amp circuit, if before or after the fx-loop... it is usually before, that's why it seems strange... we should also consider that Soldano has a really personal/strange way to design the send-return on his amps (the SLO for example) so this could be another reason...

Mind to share details about the power tubes (brand, type...) and the mic position?