Hey my first thread! What's new gear wise?

Funny, my one complaint with most Marshalls I've played through is that they weren't quite bass-heavy enough for me. Steve's new Marshall head squashes that though, as it's got bass and tone for miles. And you most definitely wouldn't want to put a distortion pedal in front of that head, in my opinion. The variety of tones and the amount of gain you can get from just the head alone is quite sufficient. Obviously when you're talking about tone, everyone is going to have their own style and taste and it's going to vary greatly. When using my old 800 head I would almost always use some kind of Super-Overdrive with it to get just a bit more gain and that worked pretty well. If I recall (maybe Chris and Eric can confirm this) that's the setup we used for the guitars on "The Knowing" and it's a pretty organic, full tone.

Using that DC10 for the latest cd was pretty cool. It's definitely the heaviest guitar sound we've had to date.

A standard Marshall JCM 800 needs a touch more gain to it. Back in the 90's, I used a Marshall 2205 which had 2 channels and a Master Volume. I added a rack mounted EQ thru the Effects Loop on that amp. My new JVM 410H has the same setup x 4, no EQ. Thats the difference. A standard JCM 800 has Presence,Vol,Bass, Mid, Treb and Gain. The Marshall's I've used all had a Volume added to that. So you crank your channel volume to 10, then control the level with the master volume. You will need no extra pedal with a master volume head. Some of the older bands used 2 heads, one into the other. Also Biasing an amp can change the tonal response of a tube amp too.

If I recall (maybe Chris and Eric can confirm this) that's the setup we used for the guitars on "The Knowing" and it's a pretty organic, full tone.
Yeah, I believe it was just an Arion EQ pedal used as a line boost- maybe Chris used the Super Overdrive on yours for a bit of difference. I picked one of the Arion EQs up after those sessions because I liked the combination. Never used the actual clean channel on my JCM800 live, just stuck with the dirty channel and turned the guitar's vol knob down to clean up the tone and used the Arion EQ or Nobels ODR1 to boost for heavy tone. Still have my JCM800.

Yep, that's right, the Arion eq pedal was the key.

My 800 head was modified back in the early 1990s to have an effects loop built into it, and I used to loop a Boss 7-band EQ through it, and it made a world of difference. I still have that head but rarely use it, hasn't had new tubes and a rebias in years.
And I would run a Boss Super-Overdrive through the front, mainly to get a boost on leads and stuff.

I used to use the Arion EQ, a Boss EQ, Rockman EQ, tubescreamer, even a wah pedal sometimes .. anything to boost and shape the tone on the front end. It basically just slams the guitar into the preamp section harder and I think it gives the player a better feel, since you can endlessly tweak how you approach that tone shaping.

Hey Chris, Have you ever heard of this amp - Kustom 310C bass combo???
This thing pumps 1200 watts, more than enough for me, but I am sitting here thinking, "A Combo??? 1200 watts?? 3 10s with bass ports??? 140lbs?? Sound Quality??? Feasible???" :err:

I just googled it.. I can't say I've heard it, nor have I heard anything about it. It seems like it could be nice, but I really can't say. It's convenient that it's all one piece, but wow 140 Lbs withOUT a case??... that's more than YOU Geetus!

I just googled it.. I can't say I've heard it, nor have I heard anything about it. It seems like it could be nice, but I really can't say. It's convenient that it's all one piece, but wow 140 Lbs withOUT a case??... that's more than YOU Geetus!

Yeah, But the amp I got now is 94 lbs, so it's not that far off. My real concern was the plywood build of the thing. All the reviews I hear say it has loads of tone and maintains warmth at high volumes. But plywood??? Just trying to get a bit more volume and warmth.....

Hey Chris, Have you ever heard of this amp - Kustom 310C bass combo???
This thing pumps 1200 watts, more than enough for me, but I am sitting here thinking, "A Combo??? 1200 watts?? 3 10s with bass ports??? 140lbs?? Sound Quality??? Feasible???" :err:

those 3 speakers are probably wired in parallel; it runs those 1200W only at 2 ohms. usually power rating for seperate heads are given with all the wattages for a given resistance (ohms). doesnt have to sound bad, but it makes the 1200W thing a lot less impressive. it's power sections rating is probably (like the seperate head they sell) 450W @ 8 ohms. furthermore, the power rating says jack shit. it kinda depends on how they measured it. also its great that the power section is rated @ 1200, can the speakers handle it or will they start fucking up halfway? voice coils are especially expensive and this combo is especially cheap. be suspicious :)

plyamp is not a necessarily bad thing for a cab, it depends on what you are plying :) see: http://www.aguilaramp.com/products_cabinets_db810.htm high end bass cab, 13-ply. btw high end basses are often plied as well :)

aside from that, its a motherfucking heavy combo, you sure you want to carry it around all the time?

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=535560
http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=524712&highlight=310c

people seem to like it :)

aside from that, its a motherfucking heavy combo, you sure you want to carry it around all the time?

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=535560
http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=524712&highlight=310c

people seem to like it :)[/QUOTE]

Again with the heavy thing hahaha
Isnt this why drummers and bassists hang together when loading in to gigs and in the studio??? :devil:
Maybe I can locate one in the city and jam on it a bit and see what it is like.
Any suggestions on half cabs??? Anyone???

I'm mainly using my custom-designed/built 7-string through my VHT Deliverance 60 and/or Engl Savage 120...lately I've been running through them both, in parallel. I have a modified Ibanez TS7 that gets run through the VHT as a clean boost to add a bit of saturation to the amp's own distortion. I'm eventually planning to replace the Deliverance with a Sig:X, though, so I can do a little more on the fly (the Deliverance, while extremely versatile, only has a single channel with nothing footswitchable...no problem on its own, but when running in parallel with the Engl, it would be nice to have a dedicated clean channel, for example).

GEAR!!! G.A.S... as for guitar related nothing has really changed for me lately..but in my studio i have upgraded alot of Mic pres from either API or Dakings to Millenia's and Manley. I like the more sustaining organic feels of them. what are the tech's you used for recording the Low ended tones of Novembers Doom Baritone guitars? and I am not surprised to hear mesa tones on the new stuff...Tubes push air Line 6 stuff is flexable but does not have the Push of a tube amp...

Ah yes, that amp sounded great! We have a few baritones as well, and selected what we thought were the best for each sound. I used a multiple mic setup through an SSL VHD, no EQ, just worked on mic placement and blend.

just ordered some new pups, Dragonfire Power Rails, 48$ with shiping on E-Bay, they are bassed on the Dimarzio X2N, I called the place up and they have the same output. I tell you guys how they sound when they get here.