Holy Shit! That's Opeth?!

Draconamis

Super Zombie
Dec 16, 2001
Mid-west
Visit site
Pardon me for posting what is probably the most commonly posted theme on this forum, but I bought "Still Life" the other day because it was 13 dollars and I had it, not expecting a whole lot, and I ended up getting my mind fucking blown. No wonder you guys spend all your time in the Opeth forum, they're fucking amazing!
So I have to ask now, Which of their albums are the best? From the reviews I've read it's a safe bet to purchase just about any of them, but I'd like the "average opeth fan's" opinion.

hmmm...any of them :p I like morningrise the most right now, and it introduced me to opeth, but mayh and still life are my most emotional orchid is good too, blackwater park i didnt like as much but good non-the less

Okay... you'll get 1000000 different opinions here.
I'll just describe BRIEFLY (i'm lazy) the flavor of each album and you decide

Orchid- Kind of folkly, more poeticly loose lyrics, more "raw" production

Morningrise- Unique... or something, I have a hard time desribing, look at the cover of the album, it sounds like the cover looks like...

MAYH- Heavier than most Opeth albums, their first concept album, and first album with martin on drums, and Mikael does bass, really amazing concept for the story, it has a "foresty" feel to it

BWP- I haven't listened to more than a few times, dunno

I'd say BWP mainly because some people here don't like it as much, heh heh... It's the first Opeth album I got and I love it, so maybe if you go ahead and get it now you'll love it too, heh heh...

My rundown would be:

1. MAYH
2. Morningrise
3. Still Life
4. Orchid
5. Blackwater Park

there is a differently ordered list for every person on this forum, though (well, at least for the max possibilities of combinations that exist, but you know what I mean).

IMO, all Opeth's albums are priceless masterpieces...so I don't believe in a "best" definitive Opeth album...

Anyway, according to my own taste, Morningrise is the most appealing to me.

Welcome to the club!
:)

I suppose I should have elaborated on what I liked in it, so I could get a more accurate recommendation, sorry about that,
The kind of stuff I'm looking for is music that sounds like Godhead's Lament, and The Moor. Those two songs really do an excellent job of blending the melodies and rythms in perfectly timed transitions. It's impossible to discribe really, but I'm looking for music that sounds like those two.
:lol:
I don't know that the above helps much, but it's all I've got sorry.

Originally posted by bleedingskeptic
just get whichever you happen across first

Normally I would do that, however where I live, they don't readily stock Opeth in the local music stores, so I have to order it.
That's why I'm asking at all, I figure if I have to order it anyway I might as well make it the best ones first.

I would say if you want to be introduced to their lyrical genius properly listen to The night and silent water on Morningrise. My favorite Opeth song at the moment.

Id have to say Morningrise. Its the album that turned me on to Opeth. I have all their other albums and love them all but I always and prolly will always listen to Morningrise more than any of the other ablums because its my favorite one!

Morningrise is god. You'll hear several arguments here about "old" vs "new." Old being Orchid and Morningrise, New being MAYH, Still Life, and Blackwater Park. My personal favorites are the old ones because they're more melodic, altough I love the new ones, too, becuase they're heavier and fucking metal. Opeth is the king.

Well my list is as follows, and many would kill me because of it:
1. Still Life
2. Blackwater Park
3. My Arms, Your Hearse
4. Orchid
5. Morningrise

Yeah, I wanted to be the original person that said MORNINGRISE but they already beat me to it :(... But yeah man, if you're into more raw music go for Morningrise, just don't expect anything like the intro of The Moor (I think that's classified under 'new opeth').

But on a note, the album that got me into Opeth was Blackwater Park and I kind of worked my way backwards. So if you're looking for something similar to Still Life, go for My Arms Your Hearse.... But I still recommend Morningrise.