Holy Shit! That's Opeth?!

Thanks for al the help, I plan on taking it all into consideration, though I think, since most people recommended MAYH and BWP those two will be my next ones.
Thanks again.

My 2 cents on each album:

-------------------------------------------------------------
Orchid - raw, weird, great moments, but not as good songwriting as a whole

Morningrise - dark, romantic, nostalgic, beautiful, perfect

My Arms Your Hearse - sad, aggressive, best story (lyrics)

Still Life - classical, foreign melodies, acoustic, soft, pretty

Blackwater Park - best production, progressive, powerful, with glimpses of myst and weirdness, overall most straight forward which for me translates into slightly boring
--------------------------------------------------------------

My personal pick is Morningrise as the best cd. not because of song writing, not because of sound quality, not because of great lyrics. Its just unexplainable to me what this CD has that others do not.

By the way, All opeth cd's are better than 99% of all other metal releases.

Sfarog

I agree with many here that MORNINGRISE is their finest work. It's one hell of an album and I do not think I will ever hear anything that outshines it for quite some time. And, only Opeth themselves will be able to do it. MAYH & Orchid may be close, as stunning as those albums are, but Morningrise has this particular beauty in its song structure if you will that is simply amazing. Very epic, dark and powerful. And the vocals were his finest ever - in Morningrise & in Orchid. MAYH isn't quite the same, but has better vocal work than SL & BWP IMO (not that they're greatly inferior mind you, just not as good IMO)

And, of course, like many Opeth fans feel, I'm sure - all their songs happen to be A++ in terms of their greatness. It is true that no matter which album you buy you will be treated to the best metal you will likely ever hear. Heheh....if it's Opeth, it will likely...surely....kick major ass!!!!

Now, if I would rank their albums, it would look something like this:

MORNINGRISE
MAYH
Orchid (likely to be 2nd soon..only heard two songs off this one unfortunately. Must wait to buy it - not download it....)
Blackwater Park
Still Life

They are all the greatest albums I've had the pleasure of hearing....and then some....

I disagree with the above post. I think Mikaels vocals have improved GREATLY since Morningrise. Don't get me wrong, they weren't BAD back then, but his growl has gotten much deeper, and fuller, and his clear voice has more range and emotion to it now. Plus, he went off key from time to time back then on the clear stuff.

As far as the Vocals is in question,

I liked the vocals on Orchid and Morningrise better than on the last three albums. Yes the vocal got stronger, yes the vocal got cleaner, and deeper on the last three albums. But that is also the reason why I like Morningrise and Orchid better.

If you are a fan of typical death metal vocal these days, Akerfeldt's growl on the last three or two albums might be your favorite. I on the other hand liked the older growl better, as it was more haunting in effect. Also it was mixed slightly farther than it is the new stuff, and thats just the way I liked it. Not to mention a bit more of reverb and delay in the older stuff.

As far as the clean vox being off key statement, what you call off key, I call on purpose. Cheers!

Sfarog

p.s. not to mention the bass sound! arghh!! you will looooove the bass on Morningrise!

I haven't got "Still life" (as it's not out on vinyl yet), but I think Opeth is a band that has just gotten better and better as time goes by. They started out good with "Orchid" and "ended" superb with "Blackwater park".
I think "Orchid" is a good record, but not more than that. The main "problem", besides the riffs not being as good as later, is that it often sound like "I have this riff too. Let's put it in here". It sounds like it just a lot of different riffs just put togehter to make the songs 15 minutes long.
"Morningrise" is better, seems more like a "whole" and has better riffs.
"My arms your hearse" is even better!
"Still life" (doesn't have that one as I said)
"Blackwater park" - Not one single bad riff on the entire record!!!! This record is among the 10 best records I have (and I have aprox. 1000)!!! There's maybe 2-3 short mediocre riffs, but besides that all good riffs! This is their most consistent record in my opinion and all of the songs, breaks, parts and riffs come together as a whole and doesn't sound "compiled" as I think "Orchid" did.

Forgot to mention; I also think that Mikael's clean vocal has become much better over the years. When they started out it sounded like it was like "Okay, should I sing or what?". Now you can hear that he has actually learnt how to sing.
I don't think it was on purpose that he sometimes didn't hit the notes and it sounded out of tune. No singer would do that. Every singer would try to make the vocal harmonize with the music. If you hit like 1/4 of a note wrong it sounds horrible and cuts through your bones as it's just unlistenable.
I don't think Enrique Iglesias sang out of tune on purpose at some VH-1 show. He's just not a good enough singer to hid the notes right every time. :)