Holy Shit! That's Opeth?!

I think if you really love 'Still Life', then you should probably check out 'Blackwater Park' next, as those two albums seem to be the closest as far as style and production quality goes.

Somehow I think you might be a bit shocked if you bought 'Morningrise' while expecting something like Still Life.

I've had Blackwater Park and Still Life for a while now, but I never was able to get 'totally' into them. I loved Leper Affinity and Blackwater Park from BWP and Serenity Painted Death from SL, but for some reason just never got fully into them.

I recently (2 weeks ago) wanted to pick up something else from them, and I kept hearing good things about MAYH, so I went to pick it up but all they had was Morningrise. I was iffy just because every song was long (I do like long songs though), and I wasn't so big into them yet.
This album became that day, my favorite Opeth that I've heard...and the next day I went and got MAYH and Orchid to complete my Opeth collection.
I've been listening to them basically every day, almost all day since then. I went back and listened to Still Life and BWP and I like them both a real lot.

Here's my list so far...

Morningrise
Blackwater Park
Orchid
Still Life
MAYH (just haven't listened to it enough)

This has turned into a 'rate the albums' thread, and I don't want to miss out!

Blackwater Park
Morningrise
My Arms Your Hearse
Still Life
Orchid

And I only place MAYH above Still Life because I like the story and concept in 'Hearse' better than Still Life.

My top 5 is:

1. Morningrise (the undisputed number one!!!)
2. Orchid
3. Blackwater Park
4. Still Life
5. MAYH

But since you started with Still Life I'd suggest you go for Blackwater Park first now, cause it's the album most similar in style compared to Still Life.

You could easily go for either MAYH or BWP. I think MAYH is the best in a way, so you could get that. It also has a lot of qualities of the earlier ones, it's just produced a lot heavier, so it's a good transitional album. Still Life and My Arms, Your Hearse are the only two conceptual ones though.

Or check the discographies and download a couple from each to see which you like.

Originally posted by random_phil
My list:

Still Life
Morningrise
Blackwater Park
Orchid
My Arms Your Hearse

I think putting MAYH at the bottom will annoy a lot of people, but i genuinely think it is their weakest album. It sounds the least like Opeth, if you know what I mean

I agree.

Go for Blackwater Park then Morningrise, then the other two. but really you just have to buy them all