Honest opinions on Watershed

Absolutely awesome album! It's actually the Opeth album I've listened to the most, since I got it. I love all their music, and this album is just amazing.

Every Opeth album is great, but I'd put Watershed in sixth place behind (1) Ghost Reveries, (2) Damnation, (3) Still Life, (4) Blackwater Park, and (5) Deliverance.

I'd say like this:

Blackwater Park > Still Life > Ghost Reveries > Damnation/Deliverance > Watershed > MAYH > Morningrise > Orchid

And about Watershed... It accomplished my expectations, for sure.

watershed is the best opeth album and simply one of the best metal albums (if you could even call it metal, i prefer to call it avant-garde progressive metal) i've ever heard. keep kicking ass fred and mike! just my opinion!!

i´ll be epic in 4 or 5 years..

You will? LOL. Sorry, couldn't resist.

I took a break from Watershed for a while and coming back to it, I totally fell in love with it again. Amazing album on so many levels. Definitely one of my favorite Opeth albums (And therefore, one of my favorite albums period). I put it right up there with Still Life and Ghost Reveries.

Oh and thanks for putting up that link, Hexwind!!!!

Edit: Just watched the video and he doesn't mention Watershed. But it's a really good interview none the less. Have to find the related videos.

Anyone who sticks both "avant-garde" AND "progressive" tags on an album needs to stop getting hard ons from their own music tastes. Especially considering it's not THAT progressive anyway.

sorry but i guess watershed is to much for you to handle in one listen, you should hear it again, for example in the lotus eater there is a keyboard part that sounds like nintendo! tell me that's not the most diverse album you've ever heard!

and what makes you think im joking?? i think watershed is the most diverse metal album ive ever heard, its my opinion and im entitled to it

I may have to disagree about the "metal" merits of Watershed. After The Lotus Eater, there aren't too many "metal" interludes to grab onto, IMO. That may be my biggest problem with it. I appreciate the prog aspects of Opeth's music, but I love the death metal roots even more. Those roots are lacking in Watershed. Doesn't mean I hate it. Just means I play the older releases more.