Hours of Wealth

Slaydon

Jul 28, 2008
right outside Oslo, Norway
I have a feeling this song is ignored. To me it was the third best song on GR, after Harlequin Forest and Ghost of Perdition. I just LOVE that intro, how can you not?? But for some reason it didn't click with the fans it seems. Have they ever performed it live?

I have a feeling this song is ignored. To me it was the third best song on GR, after Harlequin Forest and Ghost of Perdition. I just LOVE that intro, how can you not?? But for some reason it didn't click with the fans it seems. Have they ever performed it live?

I agree with this completely. Forest/Ghost are easily the best songs on that CD, but Hours of Wealth (and I would even put Isolation Years up there) are on par. I even think I listen to Hours of Wealth/Isolation Years more just because they are easier to digest most of the time.

Beneath the Mire and Baying of the Hounds are also clearly superior but eh w/e. This song is great but I don't like the vocal part that much...the solo and the intro being the best.

I posted an Hours Of Wealth forum months back, stating that I think this is one of their more underrated songs. This song is truly fantastic. I do disagree that Harlequin Forest is GR's 2nd best song, though.

I rank Ghost Reveries songs:

1. Ghost Of Perdition
2. The Baying Of The Hounds
3. Beneath The Mire
4. Hours Of Wealth
5. Harlequin Forest
6. The Grand Conjuration
7. Isolation Years
8. Atonement

Personally I'm sorta changing as an Opeth listener and can't really legitimately rank Opeth songs by album any more - I sometimes listen to the less diverse records like Damnation or Orchid as a whole, but I now pretty much listen to them as two different bands, one being a band with some of my favorite acoustic guitar work and the other being a metal band.

Ya, I know what you mean, Lateralus. It's hard to rank the softer songs v.s. the heavier songs (i.e. Credence v.s. Karma). So, what I do is just rank them on how I personally like them. For example, Wreath is my 2nd favorite Opeth song, and I like it more than I like The Moor, for example. Even though The Moor is obviously a more complex, well-designed song, and has significant meaning to it, I think Wreath just sounds better. That's only an example, though. Back on topic, though, Hours Of Wealth to me just sounds incredible. The soft-paced solo, and the keyboard/guitar fusion riff is what makes the song so beautiful.

Well I mean there's some obvious things, like I will pretty much always like my favorite heaviest songs over my mid-ranked acoustic songs...but when you're looking at the best of both...it just depends on mood.