How did you come across Dark Tranquillity?

This is going to kill me...I don't remember at all!! I just remember it was about a year ago. It was probably while I was browsing different artists on amazon.com according to my past views. Not very exciting :rofl:

Back in 1994/95 my friend Ariel, who had begun to play guitar (I picked it up shortly after him) began to get himself and I into heavy music. Back then, I thought the riff in "Bored" off of the Deftone's first album Adrenaline was so heavy - boy was I a metal-noob. The first real metal band I got into was old-school Metallica: Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning, Kill 'Em All, ... And Justice for All.

So in either '95 or '96, Ariel gave me a CD by a band I'd never heard of - Dark Tranquillity - that had beautiful and intriguing cover art and a photo on the back of the booklet of a bunch of swedish dudes with overgrown hair. I didn't know what to expect.

So I put the CD in my boombox and I was blown away by Punish My Heaven's drum intro, opening riff, and the melodic fury that followed. I had never heard anything like this! Then I read the lyrics and I was floored - the concept of the song was good, but Stanne's writing ability was amazing. I couldn't match the lyrics to the vocals because it was my first experience trying to descipher death vocals, but I could follow the clean singing towards the end of the song.

The Gallery was phenomenal (I've been re-listening non-stop for the last 5 days now). The tracks that really blew me away were Punish My Heaven, Midway Through Infinity, Lethe (the first time I heard it I jumped when the guitars crashed into the bass intro because I had it up too loud :lol: ), the Emptiness From Which I Fed, and Mine Is The Grandeur ... Of Melancholy Burning for the excellent musicianship with the acoustic/timpani and the successful combination of melodicism, heavy riffing, death vocals, and female vocals to close the album.

I couldn't believe that music like this could be made. It was so rich, so dynamic, and had so much depth lyrically that it put every other metal band (even old Metallica) to shame. And the art in the album reflected their musical qualities.

After this, I got Ablaze My Sorrow's first album, At The Gates' Slaughter of the Soul, Cradle of Filth's Dusk and Her Embrace, Old Man's Child's Pagan Prosperity, and Satyricon's Nemisis Divina. DT was my first and will always be my favorite metal band. :kickass:

Hope no one fell asleep reading this.

Hope no one fell asleep reading this.

Absolutely not. I was smiling all the way to the end. Its so familiar! I remember feeling the same thing with Skydancer (I actually started with Void of Tranquillity, but that didnt really blew me away), I felt like I discovered MY band. :) Funny thing is that I have never been a trve fan, collecting everything about the band, and I have joined this forum when DT were not really much to my liking. Strange. But the folks Ive met here have something about themselves that reminds me of the band - its a sort of aura or what. Its like the band repels all morons, and draws only cool people in. :D

I became a big In Flames fan and found out about the IF/DT connection. I downloaded some DT and liked a few tracks but wasn't into them like I was In Flames. Five or six years later, I listen to far more Dark Tranquillity than I do In Flames.

I remember visiting the DT website once and liked the sound clips. So I tried to remember their name 'til the next time I went to a shop selling rare metal cd's...but I failed.

So two weeks ago I was in a music shop listening to the new metal albums and also listened to the new album of DT. I liked (surprisingly?!) and bought it. I'm now listening to it again and again. I'm going to check out the other albums.

So if anyone was wondering why I showed up on this forum, here's your answer.

And FYI: I'm Metallica fan since 15 years ( just a bad? habit of mine), but now listening to death and black metal.

Metallica is a nice classic band. Just say you didn't like Saint Anger and almost any metal community shall embrace you, except kvlt communities of course, but those weirdos are whacked anyway.

I mean "Praise Lars Vikernes".

@Marduk: I'm certainly honoured. And I like your avatar.

In other news, I have spread DT amongst my friends.

I found them on Dark Lyrics...thought the name sounded cool, so I checked outtheir music and ever since then and I was hooked.

I never heard their stuff until I saw them open for Opeth last year. Although the sound wasn't good, they had amazing energy and I was captivated with Mikael's beauty and Henrikson's dreads so I bought Character and the rest is history!

I was downloading an In Flames song, which I found to be a Dark Tranquillity song. Don't ask me what the song was, I forget,hahah!

I did my research, found out as much as I could about DT and went and bought their albums.

I found about Dark Tranquility from listening to Ceremonial Oath and I decided to look up its members and a few of their members where also in DT.